PDA

View Full Version : Help - xposted at RC

dplanz
05-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry, I need ideas, so this is crossposted at RC:

Hi All

Any ideas on the following problem would be appreciated:

RTI remote does not control the DCT, but only in one zone.

Details: Elan S12, Motorola cable box, RTI T2+, Elan Z100 keypad w/remote IR receiver (either Elan, Speakercraft, or Niles eye).

Every other zone in the house works properly. The RTI is 'universal' - it is programmed, and works the same in every room as the TV's are the same. In the troublesome zone, all other functions work properly (DVD, volume, CD, etc). It is only the combination of trying to use any DCT IR codes that do not work thru this remote mounted receiver. The only common (or uncommon, if you will) denominator is that this is the only zone to use a remote IR receiver that is not directly connected to the Z100 - the splice is done remotely, on the BIX connection panel. In theory, this shouldn't make a difference as other codes pass through perfectly.

Edit: We have tried a different receiver, different IR frequencies, different light conditions, different angles, etc...

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Dieter

avzone
05-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Sorry, I need ideas, so this is crossposted at RC:

Hi All

Any ideas on the following problem would be appreciated:

RTI remote does not control the DCT, but only in one zone.

Details: Elan S12, Motorola cable box, RTI T2+, Elan Z100 keypad w/remote IR receiver (either Elan, Speakercraft, or Niles eye).

Every other zone in the house works properly. The RTI is 'universal' - it is programmed, and works the same in every room as the TV's are the same. In the troublesome zone, all other functions work properly (DVD, volume, CD, etc). It is only the combination of trying to use any DCT IR codes that do not work thru this remote mounted receiver. The only common (or uncommon, if you will) denominator is that this is the only zone to use a remote IR receiver that is not directly connected to the Z100 - the splice is done remotely, on the BIX connection panel. In theory, this shouldn't make a difference as other codes pass through perfectly.

Edit: We have tried a different receiver, different IR frequencies, different light conditions, different angles, etc...

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

DieterAs I'm sure you know, a fundamental rule of troubleshooting is to make sure you don't overlook the obvious. That said, does the remote control the DCT directly?

dplanz
05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Cant test that, since the native receiver has been masked off to prevent crosstalk (another DCT in the system). However, the RTI controls the DCT perfectly from any other IR receiver in the system, so that should (could) not be an issue.

But thanks - the obvious is so often the culprit.

eastonaltree
05-31-2007, 06:21 PM
I know this is a basic thing, but did you make sure to put the flasher on the LEFT side of the DCT window? There is a misleading silkscreen that say "remote" on the right, and I have seen quite a few emitters placed over it. This could be part of the problem, the other part being a mismatched IR target that could possibly not be performing like the others in the house. Those DCT boxes are really finicky about IR, so this scenario wouldn't surprise me.

dplanz
05-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Nope, sorry, but thanks. We crack our boxes open and place the emitter inside.

The8thst
06-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Nope, sorry, but thanks. We crack our boxes open and place the emitter inside.

Does this RTI control the same DCT that it won't control in one of the zones or is there a different DCT in the one problem zone that isn't available anywhere else?
Does the factory DCT remote control the cable box in the problem room through the IR receiver?
If the DCT is only available in the one room and nothing controls it, check to see if the emitter wire got pinched, wired backwards, or shorted during the boxes modifications.

dplanz
06-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Just wanted to thank people for their input. Problem turned out to be a wiring problem. This was totally conterintuitive, as it worked to about 95%.

Thanks