PDA

View Full Version : AP through a switch

flcusat
06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I've been dealing with a problem for about two hours now and I finally found what was causing it. But I don't really know why it is happening. The set up is a Linksys Router connected to a Netgear DS108 Switch and an AMX AP connected to the switch. By default the AP's address is static to 192.168.1.240. If I try to log on to the AP through the web browser I couldn't log on to it. I used IP scan and the AP didn't show in the scan. Connected the access point directly to the router and I can connect to the AP and browse to the configuration page without a problem. Any ideas why this is happening? By the way, I tried different ports in the switch including ports currently connected to other computers. I also tried assigning the IP address through the Router's DHCP but it didn't work either. If the AP is behind the switch I can't see it.

PAAI
06-11-2007, 01:15 PM
The DS108 is actually a Hub and not a switch. Two hours Pedro? Where is your backup gear to swap out some of this stuff. :)

flcusat
06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
The DS108 is actually a Hub and not a switch. Two hours Pedro? Where is your backup gear to swap out some of this stuff. :)

There you go. Not wonder. Jason, I'm testing all the gear that I need to take with me to the Bahamas on Wednesday for a job that I'm doing over there. To be honest will you I never realized that I had a hub instead of a switch. It has been in my office setup for a few months now and I probably bought it without noticing that was a hub and not a switch.

FRR
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I've been dealing with a problem for about two hours now and I finally found what was causing it. But I don't really know why it is happening. The set up is a Linksys Router connected to a Netgear DS108 Switch and an AMX AP connected to the switch. By default the AP's address is static to 192.168.1.240. If I try to log on to the AP through the web browser I couldn't log on to it. I used IP scan and the AP didn't show in the scan. Connected the access point directly to the router and I can connect to the AP and browse to the configuration page without a problem. Any ideas why this is happening? By the way, I tried different ports in the switch including ports currently connected to other computers. I also tried assigning the IP address through the Router's DHCP but it didn't work either. If the AP is behind the switch I can't see it.

Do you have a firewall turned on? If so, stating the obvious, you won't see the devices on the other side of the firewall.

flcusat
06-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Do you have a firewall turned on? If so, stating the obvious, you won't see the devices on the other side of the firewall.

I can see everybody but the AP.

jberger
06-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Just a guess, but you might need a crossover cable since you are using a hub. I doubt it's smart enough to have autoconfiguring ports, even on the uplink port.

It's MUCH easier to troubleshoot this type of problem with a crossover cable. You can just connect directly to your laptop (remember to set a static IP in the same range on your laptop first) to configure and test the AP, then work on getting to working with the rest of the system.

Download a copy of Netstumbler too, it's a great way to test and document wireless installations from your laptop.

The8thst
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
AMX has a documented issue with correclty detecting the network speed on 10/100 network equipment. I have found that changing the speed setting from "Auto" to 100mb fixed the problems I was having.

Try that.

vette84
06-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Just a guess, but you might need a crossover cable since you are using a hub. I doubt it's smart enough to have autoconfiguring ports, even on the uplink port.

I have found that changing the speed setting from "Auto" to 100mb fixed the problems I was having.

Most likely one or a combination of these two things. Get yourself some recent network gear, man! What are you, an animal?!

flcusat
06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Most likely one or a combination of these two things. Get yourself some recent network gear, man! What are you, an animal?!

The Linksys router is been with me for years without any problems and the Netgear, I probably got it in a hurry without realizing that it was a hub instead of a switch. Until today I had the problem with the access point, I would swear that was a switch.

idodishez
06-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Stupid question, and I never did understand this. Whats the difference between a hub and a switch? Both are non configurable, correct?

Matt
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Give Pedro a break, he is still unthawing from Marlows deck last CEDIA.;)

ConCon
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Basically a hub sends all packets to all ports, a switch will only forward addressed packets to the port the recipient node is on.

Node being a network addressable device.

Matt
06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Basically a hub sends all packets to all ports, a switch will only forward addressed packets to the port the recipient node is on.

Node being a network addressable device.

It is also worthy to note that hubs share the bandwidth between all connections to where a switch does not.

vette84
06-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Stupid question, and I never did understand this. Whats the difference between a hub and a switch? Both are non configurable, correct?
ConCon and Mr. Fortune pretty much explained it, but a switch can most definately be configurable.
A managed switch is a very powerful thing, and also usually a very expensive thing. Managed switches can be a basic web interface to set a few options such as port speed, aggregation, and failover. Most all rackable gigabit switches nowadays have a web interface in them.
On the top of the switch chain is a layer 3 switch that pretty much behaves like a router.