PDA

View Full Version : Sony ES-777 and RS-232

Greg_C
05-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Does anybody know if the RS-232 on the Sony ES-777 DVD Changer will allow it to be run via Crestron? Also, does it output 480P and composite at the same time?

Gary
05-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Does anybody know if the RS-232 on the Sony ES-777 DVD Changer will allow it to be run via Crestron? Also, does it output 480P and composite at the same time?

Yes, but if the client has the budget for Crestron then I would get them to use the Escient or Request front end. It will make this thing much easier to use.

Greg_C
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
He wants to have 2 duplicate changers with a duplicate library so that he can pull it up anywhere in the house as well as his kids. How would the Escient piece help to integrate with Crestron better? I'm not handling the Crestron end of it, as a man has got to know his limitations!

vwpower44
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
The Escient will allow you to catagorize the movies, bring up DVD-cover art, list of acrtors and actreses, movie genere, etc. You can search aphlabetically, by genere (Horror, comedy, etc), by actor, etc. The user interface is very easy to work, and like gary said, if they can afford the crestron, the escient will work better, in the long run. It will be easier to use and will provide better management.

I can't wait until they make a Fireball movie server like the kaladiascope around 3-4k. Then we will be busy.

Mike

Scottedge
05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
The thing that kills me is it can be done right now. Especially with all these new networked DVD players coming out and the Roku Photobridge. You can do it with computers now for cheap but its all windows based. If you could get a good front end for a mac os x or linux htpc I would have no problem putting that in a clients house. Of course none of those options are as cool as the kaleidoscope, that is an amazing piece of equipment. Oh well just have to wait or learn how to become either a software programmer or engineer.

jritch
05-10-2005, 02:33 PM
The only time that I was really impressed with a kaleidoscope, since I was 3 years old, was when I was stoned.

Kind of reminded me of that visual art channel that Voom had. Made me want to eat a baggie of psychadelic mushrooms.