PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio SurroundBar or similar products?

Justis Peters
07-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Does anybody here have experience with this product or something like it?
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/surroundbar/

We have a customer who is requesting it in order to provide surround sound for his two teenage daughters. He pictures it underneath a 32"-40" LCD on the wall in their 10'x11' hang-out room.

He also wants to spend quality money (at least compared to his overall budget) on a true 5.1 surround system in his family room. So, it's OK if the surround in the teenagers' room pales in comparison to the family room, but it shouldn't sound awful or have clearly poor directional affects. Or, at least, that's the impression I have gotten. For the record, we're currently looking at Boston Acoustics for the 5.1 in the living room. The AVR to go with it will likely be a mid-grade Harman Kardon, Denon, or Yamaha.

He could tell that I was hesitant about the SurroundBar and was willing to defer to my judgement, if necessary. I told him that I wouldn't just judge a book by its cover, though, and would ask some of the other dealers I know that are more A/V centered than we are (we consider ourselves an automation dealer first and an A/V dealer second).

Can anyone provide advice on this? I don't think anyone in their family has the most discerning ear, but I know these are going to be compared back-to-back on a regular basis and I don't want to disappoint his kids. I can tell that he adores them and sees this investment as a way of showing that.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Kind regards,
Justis

Dusty McDirt
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
To be honest I haven't listened to that particular model but have heard other Polk speakers and have never been totally satisfied with their overall tone. I have heard and tried out Yamahas version of a sound bar which I thought sounded great and also includes a built in amp.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/ysp1/idx_products.htm

FRR
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Yamaha YSP1100, or YSP1000 or YSP800 may do the trick. It's a 5.1 speaker system w/Amp and basic TV and DVD inputs and you will have some sort of 5.1 effects from one speaker location. Surprisingly, it's not a bad solution for open concepts with little or no room for surrounds (i.e. TV stuck in a corner amoire).

http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP/YSP800.jsp

Just an idea.

For the family room a RXV series receiver would do the job.

jberger
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I have not listened to the polk, but the yamaha models sound very good, given the limitations.

You will need to add a sub to any of these products, so make sure to include one in the proposal. They just don't sound right without one.

Snap
07-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Go with the YSP 1100 or YSP800 will do the trick. I feel the best is the YSP1100 but that is just me. Get a small sub to go with those as their low end is NO good. But I have done a few of them, and the YSP1100 sounds very cool for an all in one. I used them in master bedroom retro fit areas.

Very cool piece of gear. If you are going to mount it on the wall make sure you do not forget the adapter plate to order. MSRP on the plate is 89 bucks I think.

Limelight Systems
07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
The Yamaha stuff is very impressive but they definitely need a sub.

K&J
07-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Justice,

As I stated yesterday. If you are going to use a Sound Bar insure the room is not large and has the walls to bounce the sound.

Yamaha has the better bar.

clinthicum
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
I too have considered the Polk SurroundBar (and Yamaha YSP) for clients who are looking for a clean look below a flat panel HDTV. A few months ago I purchased one from Circuit City and decided to give it a try for potential use in my own home theater (one of them). After connecting it up to the receiver and doing a quick demonstration, my wife walked into the room and promptly said "What the heck is that thing and why does it sound like crap?"

This was the exact opposite response that I had expected. I thought she would have loved the single speaker design, cause it simplifies the number of "things" mounted on the wall near the HDTV (Panasonic 42" pro). Her untrained ears quickly picked up on the imperfections of the speaker and audio response.

I returned the speaker to the local store the next day.

I don't recommend them to any customers unless they insist on them.
Seperates are the way to go in my opinion.

Chris L.
Annapolis, MD

OEX
07-24-2007, 02:44 PM
i use more than my fair share of Def Techs Mythos. Like the Polk, it has the fronts and the center BUT not designed to do surrounds. The Yamaha YSP units are more designed for surround. They seem to give big sound but not true surround without speakers behind you. If its a new job you could easily stcik $300 pr recessed surrounds and the polk-like bar or the Yamaha piece. Either way, you'll have decent results.

YOU NEED A SUB with either setup

jberger
07-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the quick review of the Polk, the price point didn't lead me to believe it would be a world class solution.

But,
You need to hear the Yamaha unit, it's impressive. Not perfect but sounds darn good for the limitations.

fortifi
12-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm looking for an under-the-monitor LCR speaker where the monitor is also on an articulating mount. (i.e., the speaker needs to move with the monitor). Artison has a nice solution coming out, but not until 1Q08. Looking at the Triad OnWall Mini LCR3.0 also, but not sure on the ability to mount it or if the styling is exactly what I want. Has anyone tried this application and had success with other products?

Greg_C
12-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Chief has the capability to mount any one's center channel below its articulating mount. We have used it for mounting LR speakers as well.

brandenpro
01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
We use the Chief PNR with the PAC 501. Great product, mount weighs as much as the TV though.

Mike Young
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
If it is for a kids room I would second the recomendation of using an LCR bar and forgetting about the surrounds. With most of the audio information comming out of the front stage I would put in the best LCR bar he will buy. James Loudspeaker, Artison, Leon, Atlantic Tech, Triad, and Paradigm are all bars I have heard and think are livable. I personally like the entry level Leon compared the the audiophile version and it is custom made to the TV.