PDA

View Full Version : TV's by Tubs

AHEM
05-15-2005, 09:21 PM
What are the code issue related to mounting LCD TV's with outboard power supplies near bathtubs?

AudibleSolutions
05-20-2005, 04:59 PM
6 feet away from water. Although I would not mind your installing one closer for a few former clients, especially on one of those Omnimounts that cannot support the weight.

Alan

AHEM
05-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Lol, I'll install them for your former clients if you do the same for my former bosses.

Actually, if 6 feet is the rule, what's different about the shower-tv products taht make them exempt from that rule?

Crazyone
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Haha,

I have also struggled to find that answer, its really not spelled out, but aparently somewhat related to fire ladders ??

This is a post i found awhile ago relating to it...

"
. I am hoping that you can settle an ongoing debate that we are having in our office. Our controversy involves the placement of receptacle outlets in the area around bathtubs and showers.

NEC 410.4(D) [2002], Bathtub and Shower Areas, provides a specific area around tubs and showers that certain types of luminaries are not permitted to occupy.

NEC 406.8(C), Bathtub and Shower Space, restricts the installation of receptacles within a tub or shower space, but does not define the boundaries of this space.

This brings me to our question: Based on the area referred to in 410.4(D) and the space referred to in 406.8(C), are both of these sections referring to the same physical space?

In the Illustrated Guide to the National Electrical Code, 1999 edition, by Charles Miller, he treats both of these areas the same and states that no receptacle outlet is permitted in the space. What is your interpretation on this issue? — W.S.

Answer 3. I am not sure I can settle the debate, but I will attempt to provide some guidance for a reasonable conclusion

In the Manual of Style for NFPA Technical Committee Documents, Section 3.2.1.2 states, “Spelling and definitions of general words and terms shall follow Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition.” Section 3.2.2.3 states, “When a standard definition is needed, Webster's shall be utilized where the meaning is correct and accurate as used in NFPA documents.”

Section 410.4(D), Bathtub and Shower Areas, addresses luminaires (fixtures) in specific locations. It states that “No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), hanging luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.”

Section 406.8(C), Bathtub and Shower Space, addresses receptacles in damp or wet locations. It states, “A receptacle shall not be installed within a bathtub or shower space.”

Webster's Dictionary defines space as “a limited extent in one, two, or three dimensions.” Working space is perhaps a good example of the use of the word space. Working space is given as a depth, width, and height — three dimensions. Webster's defines zone as, “a region or area set off as distinct from surrounding or adjoining parts.” Hazardous (classified) locations are a good example of the use of the word zone. Zone is used extensively for classifying hazardous locations in distinct areas.

Knowing this, a reasonable conclusion is that the words space and zone do not have the same meaning. Space is less defined and zone is more defined. However, if we refer to 225.19(E), Zone for Fire Ladders, it would appear that space and zone are one in the same. Section 225.19(E) states in part that, “. . . overhead lines shall be arranged, where practicable, so that a clear space (or zone) at least 1.8 m (6 ft) wide will be left either adjacent to the buildings . . .” In this case, a reasonable conclusion is that space and zone have the same meaning.

Where does this lead us? Where the word space is used in the Code, it allows for some flexibility and judgment in code enforcement (i.e., receptacles along the floor line of a wall space); it is less stringent. Where the word zone is used in the Code, it does not allow for the same flexibility and judgment in code enforcement (i.e., hazardous (classified) locations); it is more stringent.
"