PDA

View Full Version : Xantech MRC88, SPLCD64V, and HTM MX850 and MRF300

vwpower44
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I am spec'ing a system for a client that will include 7 SPLCD6.4v, MRC88, Polk XRt12, Escient E2, Cable box, and a Xantech Dual tuner. The client has two patio's that he would like to be able to use a remote control to change Tracks or adjust the radio station. I am thinking of using an MX850 and the MRF300. I have talked to Xantech, and there are no IR inputs on the MRC88, only on the SPLCD's. So are my only options, running the output of the MRF300's to each of the TP's and plugging the IR from the MRF300 to the IR in on the TP, and the GND to GND. Each room will have this option except for one, so I will only need one MRF300. The MRF300 will be located with the MRC88. It seems like a lot of work to have to run the IR to the TP's so they can send the signal to the MRC88.

My other option is to take the output of the MRF300 into the Xantech RS232 controller. Then control the MRC88 via RS232, which isn't bad becasue Xantech uses ASCII. Alhough, I will still need to run the wire for the external RF Antennas.

I am just seeing if there would be any other options. Maybe I am making this harder than it has to be.

Mike

Gary
05-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I would look at the RTI RP6/RM433 with RS232, the Xantech adaptor is very limited on the number of codes in can store (16 I think).

The RTI T1 is the same retail price as the 850, has scary Crestron like RF range and is hands down the best handheld remote I've ever used.

Ok, now I know some smartass here is going to bash RTI because of the run of bad touchscreens they had, that's fine. When I had a bad unit they got me a new one no questions asked and took care of all my problems. It did suck but they were great on the service end.

By contrast HTM said there was no problem, they had never heard of poor RF preformance, I must be doing something wrong, had I tried pointing the this way?, had I tried moving the reciever 200 yards from the gear? and on and on. Now thanks to the internet it is very hard for a company to lie to dealers this way, and I'm done giving my money to liars

mr2channel
05-19-2005, 12:01 PM
hands down the best handheld remote I've ever used.

as far as you know! :D

mr2channel
05-19-2005, 12:18 PM
You do have a couple of options for getting IR into the MRC88, 1st you could use 2 conductors of the 18/4 that you would have to run to the panel anyway and shoot ir back to the TP's from the 300 (as you mentioned), or you could use a mcr44cb1 for each zone back at the MRC88 and connect the output of the 300 to the mrc44cb1 and utilize that 300's output as a "expantion keypad" off of the TP's, it would just be done at the MRC88 not at the TP's. I have had to do this similar configuration off of a mrc44 keypad and an IR receiver, since the mrc44 keypad has no expantion capability.

Gary
05-19-2005, 01:34 PM
hands down the best handheld remote I've ever used.

as far as you know! :D

I did say "I've ever used", and that's a long list that includes Lexicon 500/700T, Crestron going back to the 10.4" smart touch, H/K take control, Pronto, Xantech URC-1 and 2, AMX Veiwpoint, all the versions of HTM and a few I can't remember.

I stand by my statement, T1 best ever.

PAAI
05-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Gary that HK remote was named the "Lose control". Battery, screen and wheel problems all killed it. I sure wish they stayed on it and revised it. I never had IR problems with it.

I love those clients who called me (all of them) and said "hey, My purple buttons don't all work right (AMX)". I do miss my viewpoint though.

No issues with Crestron so far, except I don't like having to go through a processor to upload a VTPROe file.

Have you ever used one of the SOny RMAV3000's. They make you want to flip them over and stomp the living piss out of'em and then shoot the engineer. No wait, I just found my water baloon launcher....:)

vwpower44
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
The Sony RMAV3000's are aweful. I dislike the Sony remote more than any remote I have ever used.

Wait, except fo the sony egg.

As for the Xantech system, I am thinking of sending the IR back to the TP's.

Mike

Gary
05-19-2005, 06:03 PM
The Sony RMAV3000's are aweful. I dislike the Sony remote more than any remote I have ever used.

Me to.

Wait, except fo the sony egg.

Oh, me to.

AHEM
05-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Remember how about every 10 seconds the egg would get fouled up and you'd have to set it down on the table to recalibrate it?

The embarrasing part is that there was a time when I actually considered it to be a cool product.