PDA

View Full Version : Male recessed in-wall recepticle

install1
05-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Is there such a thing? What I want to do is from a power conditioner to a plasma but I need the wire to be in-wall. I was thinking of just a BX extension cord but that is ugly where it comes out of the wall to the conditioner. If I could use a computer power cable to a male recepticle then BX to a female recepticle behind the TV then the TV power cord to the wall it would have a nice looking finish and be protected by the conditioner. The male recepticle would need to be recessed into the wall like it is on the computer so that the pins don't get broken, does anyone have any idea if this is made for residential use? Thanks for any help.

Greg

install1
05-19-2005, 03:11 PM
New thought. Could I mount an IEC male plug into recessed plate in a J-Box?

Kelly
05-19-2005, 03:30 PM
I use the Panamax MIW-power for Plasma/LCD panels in concert with OmniMounts.

That's the easiest sell ever, and it gets the job done.

Surge for your plasma? Standard answer is "of course". And it isolates the ground as well.

RobbieS
05-19-2005, 08:02 PM
The panamax works well.

You can also go to your local electrical supply house. Hubbell makes just what you are looking for. I don't have the part # handy though.

lowvoltguy
05-19-2005, 09:37 PM
No need to reinvent the wheel ... as Kelly said ... Panamax In-wall Kit ... I haven't seen the Hubbell system though ...

Jerry
05-20-2005, 12:43 AM
The part you are referring to is called an "in-let".
I also heard an electrician mention something about them now being illegal. Not sure though.
I have also started using the Panamax MIW.

install1
05-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Made a call to Panamax. Thanks guys.

AudibleSolutions
05-21-2005, 05:06 PM
What am I missing? Place a SurgeX NEMA enclosure at the equipment location or at the service panel. Jump the power from the equipment location to the plasma. It's surge protexted, in the same electrical phase and perfectly legal according to NEC.

Alan

ejfiii
05-22-2005, 11:39 AM
We can always just bring the romex out the wall, put an end on it and plug it into the surge protector (nothing against code on that, at least not that I'm aware of).

You sure Brad? I thought NEC called for all romex terminations to be done in a wall box. I would think a connector on the end would count as a termination?

Larry?

djnorm
05-22-2005, 01:31 PM
There was an extensive discussion of this here (http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?keywords=4448&highlight=Plasma|Power|cord|wall)

There was a link to the 'right' solution here (http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/products/RGPC_PowerLink.pdf)

We don't do this, but I wouldn't say what we do here in public :wink:

lowvoltguy
05-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Brad ... I understand your argument .... Let's not post dealer prices in the open forum ... .... I'm going to start a new thread in the verified section ... OK ...

djnorm
05-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Leviton Cat. No. 515PV and 515CV are the plugs we use on the ends of our SJ cord - what's with the twist-lock?

djnorm
05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
This bouncing back and forth is making me dizzy... We just run the SJ through the wall with the signal cables - no in-wall plug.

AudibleSolutions
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Since when can you run SJ cord in a wall?

I still think the SurgeX solution is the best. You would not necessarily place it in a cabinet although we often reto-fit them into the rack area by building out the electrical box and running seal tight with THN between the original box and the NEMA enclosure. Obviously if it were a retro-fit wherever you placed the SurgeX would have no effect on the plasma. But if it were new construction I would strenuously suggest using the NEMA enclosure and jumping the high voltage wiring from the load side of the surge protector to the plasma outlet.

You may not have coax or telephone surge protection with a SurgeX product but it works a lot better than many of the alternatives for mains protection and you have the added benefit of knowing the plasma is on the same phase as the equipment--eliminating any possible ground issues between devices. Finding cheap surge devices for coax and/or telephone is easily accomplished. I would suggest that all good practice is that voice lines entering the home be run through a voice surge protector before they are distributed . If you did the same with the RF wires, you would obviate the necessity of including decentralized phone/coax surge protection where a SurgeX or Furman product was installed to prevent the far more common surge issues eminating from the mains.

Yes, this assumes that all other RF locations have some surge protection on their mains connection as well.

Even if there were no room at the equipment location. There really should be a dedicated outlet at the equpment location and installing the SurgeX at the service panel and rerunning the electrical lines to and from the breaker should not be a big deal.

Alan

RobbieS
05-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey all,

Just came from my local electrical supply house. They just ordered me 5 "LEVITON inlet receptacles" and 5 LEVITON clock hanger receptacles. Grand total of $60 for the inlet and outlet to do 5 systems. I'll get you the part numbers as soon as I get them and let you know how they work.

install1
05-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Cool, I am on my way to Gescan to check it out.

AudibleSolutions
05-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Robbie

Off topic but how far are you from Lexington/Harrisburg?

Alan

RobbieS
05-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Robbie

Off topic but how far are you from Lexington/Harrisburg?

Alan

Hey Alan,

If my wife is in the car it takes me close to 3 hours to get to Lexington. If she isn't it's more like 2 and 1/2 hours.

We are south West of lexington.

Why do you ask?

AudibleSolutions
05-24-2005, 07:37 PM
My sister packed her carpet bag some 18 years ago and moved to Lexington to work in that city's only game. While she is still in the horse industry she bought a farm outside Harrisburg ( or is it Harrodsburg?). As my girls are of an age where they can appreciate a farm without throwing up ( and if you have ever been a young city kid and entered a barn for the first time you might understand ) we make the trip south at least once each year and perhaps if the girls develop an interest in riding as did their Aunt, we will make the trip more often.

I take on the prejudices of my sister ( who learned them I suppose by osmosis ) that the only real "city" in Kentucky is Lexington and the only color that matters is Blue. I was merely curious how far from the only place in Kentucky I know was Owensboro. Got to love the French names anglisized.

ejfiii
05-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Hey Alan, lots of famous people are from Owensboro - most notably the Waltrip family.

Robbie, if you're a young guy (under 40), you may know my brother in law and family - John Pfeifer? Grew up there.

RobbieS
05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey Alan, lots of famous people are from Owensboro - most notably the Waltrip family.

Robbie, if you're a young guy (under 40), you may know my brother in law and family - John Pfeifer? Grew up there.

Posiibly, how old is he? I'm 33.

We are the nascar driver capitol of the world...... We have all kinds of people in nascar drivers/crew chiefs etc.....

A couple of big name actors such as Johnny Depp <SP> and another that I can't remember right now.

We are also known as the bar-b-q capitol of the world. I will admit it is damn good here compared to all of the other places I've been.

Alan, next time your down I'll try to come up and buy you a beer or two. I'm in lexington several times a year.

ejfiii
05-24-2005, 09:13 PM
Nah, he's 40.

I love Bar-b-que.

AudibleSolutions
05-24-2005, 09:40 PM
[quote="ejfiii"]Hey Alan, lots of famous people are from Owensboro - most notably the Waltrip family.
quote]

And I am supposed to recognize the name Waltrip? I guess this is some reference to NASCAR if Owensboro is the NASCAR capital. NASCAR have a stop in NY? This is a big league town. Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils. All else, save Lacrosse is bush league. ( and that's only because Long Island produces the best players in the Universe--at least until Florida stops spring football and all of those football players take up lacrosse. )

Just one more difference between the Red and the Blue. How you Kentucky guys are able to ride a horse with a beer in one hand and a cigerette in the other is beyond me. I need one hand on the horse's mane and the other on the horn of the saddle to keep from falling off. Next time someone will have a camera with the horse bolting and me screaming woooooooooo.

Southwest of Lexington. Does that place you more or less near Cincinati ( but a bit further west)?

Alan

ejfiii
05-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Alan, you better shine up your boots - looks like ISC (parent company of NASCAR and 11 tracks) found some land for a track within spitting distance of NYC. The sports world has changed and NASCAR is no longer Busch League.

Dig the lacrosse reference too - I was H.S. All USA.

Oh, and I used to work in NASCAR (for their only competition actually - SMI Motorsports (owns 6 tracks)).

AudibleSolutions
05-24-2005, 09:51 PM
I just mapquested Owensboro and it is right around the corner from Harrisborg. That correct? I know my sister is about 15 minutes from down town Harrisborg ( such as there is a down town to any of these towns ). It's about 60 miles to Lexington ( which she happily drives each day. ) I hate traffic which is why I spend lots of time on the subway commuting. How you guys think nothing of 2-3 hour drives. My sister threatens to drive to CEDIA each year.

Alan

RobbieS
05-24-2005, 10:11 PM
I love 2-3 Hour drives when I can actually get somewhere. But when I'm some place like NYC and it takes 2-3 hours to drive 10-15 miles I feel like going postal.

Gary
05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Some of us make those long drives because flying scares the crap out of us.

RobbieS
05-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Some of us make those long drives because flying scares the crap out of us.

Come on Gary,

Don't you know that flying is safer than driving..........

If I had my choice I'd fly everywhere.... Just can't afford a company jet yet. Maybe next year. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

AudibleSolutions
05-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Driving through mountains of West Virginia this past November to Lexington I drove through 20 miles of fog. I certainly slowed down to 20 mph but I I think the last time I was that freightened was when I had to repell down from a perfectly fine wall several hundred feet. 14 hour drives, even with a DVD player to keep the kinds happy is an experience I think I shall forgo. Then again the year before we flew to Lexington but some storm caused the early plain we were scheduled to fly on not to arrive the previous evening. As it was Thanksgiving it was impossible to get on an other flight. 18 hours later two exhausted parents, and an exhausted 2 and 7 year old girls landed in NY. I cannot tell you which was the worse experience although I think I would still opt for the drive. At least the girls could sleep.

And no, I would not drive 2-3 hours for a night out on the town. But you are correct, Robbie, in that I have sat for longer in traffic.

But I sell the SurgeX NEMA enclosure and leave the actual work to the electrician. I am the computer man. Why risk getting these hands cut by having to fish wires through the wall.

Alan

LarryFine
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
I love 'statistics'.Did you know that 58% of statistics are wrong? :lol: