PDA

View Full Version : Canare vs Audioquest RCA connectors

Jafarz
07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
I use the Canare connectors for my custom cables but have considered the Audioquest ITC/RCA connectors, but am not confident the slip on style will provide the same level of quality connection. Any thoughts out there on this?

Zach.H
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
I have been using AQ ITC connectors since CEDIA last year, and haven't had a problem with them. They have a secure connection, and are great if you need to re-terminate something. Just cut the cable, pull out the inner junk, and wiggle the connector off. I've done this 3-4 times for each connector, and it still seems to provide a secure fit.

tschulte
07-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Canare is the best connection, but I would say that the AQ ITC is just below that. I have been using them for about 6 months now with absolutely no problems.

drsung
07-31-2007, 05:59 PM
AudioQuest here as well without any issues.

EliteJim
07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Love the Audioquest stuff

roddymcg
07-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Another AQ fan, for over a year now...

ATOH
07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Another AQ fan, for over a year now...

Another AQ vote her too, love it. Wouldn't change for any reason.

Special-Ed
07-31-2007, 07:01 PM
we only do canare.... why mess with a great thing

Glackowitz
08-01-2007, 12:12 AM
Another AQ vote here, we just brought in some of the Mac6+ with the 6 coax and cat 5, its a bit larger than a garden hose but is nice to pull to a display along with a HDMI

ATOH
08-01-2007, 02:35 AM
I don't disagree with you one bit Ed. If I had already invested in the dies, crimpers, etc. it would definitely be hard to change from that.

In our case, we were using all premade cables and wanted to move to making our own. So the last year of CEDIA in Indy we looked specifically for this type of product from everyone we could find. Loved the way the AQ stuff worked without a crimping tool, the low free shipping minimum, and our area rep at the time was great to us. Before going with AQ though we had never invested in those tools and other materials for some other company.

clinthicum
08-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Canare for me....at least for my component video connections.
As for audio connections (when I have to provide a client a L+R signal to an LCD/Plasma cause they don't have a theater speakers yet), I used to slap on an F connector and then a F conn to RCA adapter. But that was getting messy and not very "pro". Just purchased (tonight actually) some F-Conn compression fittings and the TechToolSupply all-in-one compression tool.

I'm hoping that wasn't a big mistake - chime in if it was/is.

I debated between the CablePro, Steren, and Holland compression tools....ended up going with this one.

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductImages/tools/lns5000.jpg

Canare crimped ends just take a few extra minutes to do in the field and when I'm setting up an analog audio signal to a TV or Monitor....I'm not too concerned about the quality of that particular signal. As for a pure video signal...I'm definitely a fan of Canare RCA and BNC connections.

Jafarz
08-02-2007, 08:10 AM
:p Thanks everyone for the input. What a great forum!

sanfransoxfan04
12-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I called Audioquest support, they told me their ITC connectors will only work with their wire. THis is odd because their website says it will work with most 18awg RG6 with an OD of 6.8-7.2mm.

I have Belden 1694a which is 18awg RG6 with a 6.96mm OD, right in that range.

Has anyone here had problems with ITC connectors on non AQ wire? They referred me to http://www.itcplug.com which they say will work with third party wire.

ATOH
12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
They probably meant the 24 awg connectors. www.itcplug.com is either an AQ spinoff or the real manufacturer for them, but I'd be surprised if they both use the same name for their connectors (the ITC part).

I have some 24 awg connectors here if you'd like to try them. Or maybe someone close to you has them and can send you a couple? I've never tried using a non-AQ wire myself, and the only way to really know is to try with the specific cable you have. Anyone else's experience, but with different brand or model of wire, wouldn't exactly tell you if it will work or not.

EDIT: Actually if you look in their FAQs area you will see that it's an AQ sister company.

tschulte
12-07-2007, 02:41 PM
WTF? AQ says they are not sure but send you to a sister company?!?

Zach.H
12-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I have used them with RG6 from Pro-connects(quad and 60%), Belden(quad), Honeywell/Genesisi(60%), AQ(which does work great), and a couple random cables I have run into on jobsites. They have worked fine on everything, with the normal problems present on quad, but overall, the few hundred I've used over the last year have worked fine.

ITC is a sub/sister company, and they may be trying to promote the new branch to nonAQ dealers. Or, as ATOH mentioned, they are referring to thier 24awg, which may be different than other people's.

jayson
12-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Does Audioquest offer a mac3 + cat5 now. The ITCplug site has it listed. I have used the MAc6 w/CAT5 and the MAC3, but always wished they made a MAC3 w/CAT5.

ejfiii
12-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I used to do Canare when I owned by business. Now my company has been using the AQ stuff for a year and it is great. Techs love it and you are really fooling yourself if you think its only a few extra minutes doing the Canare connectors. Maybe for a single component cable, but we have hundreds of conectors in our rack and that could equal extra days for the Canare.

oh, and you're also kidding yourself if you think there is a picture or sound quality difference. Maybe there is on an oscilliscope, but my cients don't watch TV on those.

DDeca
12-08-2007, 07:16 AM
I've been using AQ for about 3years now. Love the 18 gauge stuff. The 24 gauge can be a little tricky because the center pin is so soft. It can curl up pretty easily and it can be hard to tell when putting onthe connector.

I am considering using just the 18 gauge cable, it comes in 6 different colors, and just pulling multiple runs. I could then just stock one size connector. I have not had one bad connection with the 18s in 3 years.

Any thoughts from you other AQ guys?

sanfransoxfan04
12-15-2007, 12:26 AM
For the past week I have been debating what product to use for terminating all connections in my personal rack. Canare is well regarded but tools are expensive for a one time job.

Audioquest ITC is fast and tool-less but few people carry them and online they are about $5 per connector.

The remaining options are Liberty Connectec which is made by Holland Electronics (about $1.99 per connector)
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=765

Or Holland Electronics original: ($1.19 - $1.49)
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/06CatalogPages/p23_24.pdf

Or ICM / Cable Pro / F-Conn (about $1.49 per connector)
http://www.icmcorp.net/F-ConnAV.htm

The Liberty is nicely polished, but is that worth an extra 50-80 cents over the original Holland?

fedders
01-02-2008, 07:05 AM
For the past week I have been debating what product to use for terminating all connections in my personal rack. Canare is well regarded but tools are expensive for a one time job.

Audioquest ITC is fast and tool-less but few people carry them and online they are about $5 per connector.

The remaining options are Liberty Connectec which is made by Holland Electronics (about $1.99 per connector)
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=765

Or Holland Electronics original: ($1.19 - $1.49)
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/06CatalogPages/p23_24.pdf

Or ICM / Cable Pro / F-Conn (about $1.49 per connector)
http://www.icmcorp.net/F-ConnAV.htm

The Liberty is nicely polished, but is that worth an extra 50-80 cents over the original Holland?

I personally prefer the ICM connectors - especially for the price. Once you know how to properly terminate them, you get very few rejects.

Carl