PDA

View Full Version : distributor options

idodishez
05-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Posted this in RC.com. Ill try here as well.

Been in the satellite business since dbs came out. Gradually phased to the CE/Custom HT market. We have the distributors we know/use for dbs. We’ve got a few for the HT market as well.
As we get more involved in the HT/CI market, I’m looking for more distributor choices.
We’ve bought from D**, C*****L S***S, A**, P***A, etc.
D**, C*****L S***S, P***A, etc to me are more just distributors, and nothing more. P***A especially. Getting satisfactory service and a sales rep who actually KNOWS about the equipment they are selling is near impossible. That’s ok with dbs equipment, accessories, etc. If I have to explain the difference between a Keystone S-video insert and a Panamax Max in wall module (actually happened  ), that’s ok for now. When dealing with the HT/CI areas however, I want someone I can TRUST, and who KNOWS what they are selling. I want an educated opinion from my rep on what pieces might or might not go with the particular proposal/customers needs. I’m still new to this area of the business, so I don’t have the years of experience to know when my sales rep is being honest, or just trying to sell me a piece. I want to get an opinion form my rep if a Sherwood piece or a HK piece would be better in "X" situation. I want to know WHY my Pinnacle Baby Boomer SW sounds like shit when they are getting rave reviews in various publications. I want assistance in putting together a system for a client. I know I’m newer than most, but that’s why I want a distributor and not just a box mover (P****)
When I came across A**D, I thought it was a good thing. They aren’t SO big that all they are trying to do is move pieces. They actually have KNOWLEDGE of the pieces they sell. In my case, they are only 5 minutes away as well. For this reason, I thought they were a good thing. They have always treated me good, given decent training and not had the "you must buy this much equip for us to talk to you" mentality.
After reading on here and seeing all the bad things about A**D, I am beginning to wonder.
SO, who do all of you use for distributors then? Do you go direct when possible? Anyone care to share the names of the distributors?

w_home-tech
05-24-2005, 03:32 AM
this should be handled in the verified forums...

mr2channel
05-24-2005, 07:28 AM
don't worry this has been plastered all over RC so every whistledick, cheap ass DIY can find all they need to get it done themselves...sometimes putting brain in gear before hand to keyboard helps.

my 02

idodishez
05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Sorry, my mistake. Now edited

Greg_C
05-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Try using only Fred at Capitol. x131. He has always been straight on quality and support available on products. He has saved my ass on several ocasions.