PDA

View Full Version : SA Explorer 8300HD DVR Poor IR reception

JeffG
05-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi Everyone, New here to the forum and have a question about IR control of the new Scientific Atlanta 8300 DVR. Granted I am using
the previously bashed HTM MX-800 and the new MRF 300 and can not
get the sucker to work consistently with either RF or an IR receiver at
the TV. According to the local and finally intelligent cable guy, SA has had a hard time controlling the box. There are two IR ports on the front and a plug in the back. He also thought they had changed the freq. of the remote control. Any help on solving this issue would be appreciated.
JeffG

ejfiii
05-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey Jeff, I've done 5 or 6 SA 8300s in the past month or so. I had (have) a problem with one. Using a MRF300s on all of them they all work fine except for this one. I tired everything - adjusting the output of the emitter, taking the emitter apart and putting the flasher on the 8300 ir receiver behind the faceplate, moving the emitter all over the place - you name it.

Someone finally pointed me to the Russound 56K remodulator. I have two to try but haven't had a chance to get back there.

You should be able to find the info on the Russound site. I'll let you know if it works.

JeffG
05-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the note, One of our installers has the box at home and he
can make it work by using the MX800 by blocking the whole front of the box with a sheet of paper or his hand to block any stray signals. Unfortunately the paper trick is not asthetic for a rack with custom faceplates. He had the wrong cord to try the rear IR port on the box.
Jeff

AVSlash
05-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I have had success with this box by applying a Xantech SunLight Filter between the emitter bug and the face of the component. This was on a system with a MRF-300 with the IR out set to the lowest level.

According the instructions with the Xantech filter, it cuts down 66% of the light passing through it. Cut to fit under emitter so it is not visible, adhesive on emitter holds the filter and a dab of hot glue to hold the assembly to the component.

avophile
02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't know if it is related to anything in this old thread, but I am having a problem with a Scientific Atlanta HD DVR that has me stumped.

The cursor control works fine on the menu and guide, but when I get into the advanced "Free On Demand" menu, I get double skips with my cursor controls.

I've tried changing the pulse time, but with no effect.

Any thoughts?

DDVR

tgav8rs
02-17-2007, 02:51 PM
We have 1 of these as well. It seems to have something to do with the build. Same house has 1 other unit, we have no problem with that one. Have swapped locations and the problem stays with the 1 unit. Called Comcast to discuss changing and they said if it works with their remote then it isn't their problem. Client is discussing with them about their attitude. Can't change them to satelite as it is a large high end condo building so we are stuck with comc#$@p.

jberger
02-17-2007, 03:29 PM
The 8300HD can be a pain, there are 2 hardware versions with the same model number. I've run into 3 of the "new" versions this month. They seem to be VERY sensitive to overdriving the IR port and only work well with the 300. The 250 was an exercise in frustration everytime.

I use a small, clear plastic "standoff" to hold the emitter about 3 inches from the front of the unit.It's just a stiff plastic sheet cut about 1" wide and 8" in length. Mount the emitter on one end, bend it down so it's at a 45 degree angle with the IR port and move it out until it works well.

This seems to help, in conjunction with the adjustable IR on the 300.

According to the cable guy, the rear IR is output only, so I've stuck with the 300 and a "standoff" for all 8300 units. It's not the best looking installation, but it does seem to work 99% of the time. When I was placing the emitter directly on the box it was about 95% at best.

PAAI
02-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Pour water into it and take it back. Just let it dry first.

avophile
02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
We have 1 of these as well. It seems to have something to do with the build. Same house has 1 other unit, we have no problem with that one. Have swapped locations and the problem stays with the 1 unit. Called Comcast to discuss changing and they said if it works with their remote then it isn't their problem.
So you are having the same double jump in some menus but not others?

With what are you controlling the cable box?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Pour water into it and take it back. Just let it dry first.
My only fear is having the cable guy's head explode all over my attic-mounted Autopatch component video distribution system.

I guess I could have the client roll the dice with swapping out the box at a local service center.

tomciara
02-17-2007, 09:04 PM
The 8300HD can be a pain, there are 2 hardware versions with the same model number. I've run into 3 of the "new" versions this month. They seem to be VERY sensitive to overdriving the IR port and only work well with the 300. The 250 was an exercise in frustration everytime.

I use a small, clear plastic "standoff" to hold the emitter about 3 inches from the front of the unit.It's just a stiff plastic sheet cut about 1" wide and 8" in length. Mount the emitter on one end, bend it down so it's at a 45 degree angle with the IR port and move it out until it works well.

This seems to help, in conjunction with the adjustable IR on the 300.

Try the DirecTivo trick, where you cover the IR window with electrical tape, and leave a pinhole in the electrical tape. Put the emitter over that. Has worked for me.

PAAI
02-18-2007, 08:30 AM
So

I guess I could have the client roll the dice with swapping out the box at a local service center.
Overhere there is almost a no questions asked exchange. I would have them use the local service center.

avophile
02-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Overhere there is almost a no questions asked exchane. I would have them use the local service center.

Sure, but who's to say the new box will be the right "build?"

It's the client's job to make me run around in increasingly futile circles, not the other way around!