PDA

View Full Version : Question for the "real" pros

Gary
05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm bidding a system for a country club, now don't normally do commercial work, but some of my best client's are big shots here and want me to.

It's basically 6 zones of audio very simple and straight forward except 3 of the rooms are meeting rooms and need wireless mics so that speakers can talk over the audio system. I was planning on using a B&K CT600, Is there a wireless mic that will work with this? Is there something else I should be bidding? Does Alan have a story about wireless mics that ends with him in the company of a supermodel?

AudibleSolutions
05-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Look at the Ashly Protea 24x24. This is what the Boston sound guru specified and while it has certain issues it has lots of really cool benefits.

You can build it with the appropriate input/outputs by installing up to 4 additional cards ( 4 inputs per input card or 4 outputs per output card ).

It has a preamp stage with 0db, 20db or 40db gain per input. Perfect as a mic preamp.

It allows you to mix inputs to outputs ( perfect for this sort of situation )
It has powerful dsp permitting EQ, limiting and Ducking.

What we wound up doing is taking a Bipad8 ( Crestron was specified but substitute your B&K piece ) and running its 8 outputs into the 8 inputs on the Ashly. As this Protea was configured with 8 inputs and 16 outputs it worked.

I suspect you will not need any additional cards and the stock 4 inputs/4 outputs will work. The Ashly is serial controlable ( I only had time for one way communication but I could give you presets, volume, output mute/unmte if required. You could of course write the codes yourself. It's a binary protocol, more or less well documented once you understand the string syntax ( they say they want integers but they want hex or decimal values so if you need a 00 they want 00h not 3030h ). Even though all example were in decimal I converted to hex. Just pig headed as it would have been easier to use the decimal values without consorting to an ASCII table.

I think having all of these features in one box is pretty powerful. Preamp stage, mixer and output gain, limitor and EQ or in one box and the ability to save EQ curves.

You could try any generic mic preamp and bring that into the inputs on your B&K but you will probably need to mix them which I doubt the B&K can do. You could go with a stand alone mixer but unless they have an A/V operator they will usually screw things up. The Ashly allows you to set it up in software and they with the control system recall those values.

Sorry, no Super models on this one, although I thought every waitress in that Sports Bar was no more than 21 and most may have been 18. As far as I was concerned they may not have been as pretty as the supper models but they were certainly more feminine.

Alan

Gary
05-25-2005, 04:50 PM
My impression was that a mic would dedicated to each meeting room, I guess I need to find out about that. Any suggestion on mic brands?

I'm using a TPS4500 to run all this, maybe a pad8 would be a better choice for this job?

Fastfred
05-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Much more information, please.

Is this a series of meeting rooms that will be subdivided or not, depending on application?
Who will be using this system?
How many audio sources
Do you need mixing capabilities?
stereo/mono
control
ducking
size of rooms
number of microphones in the system

Fastfred
05-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Shure wireless mics...

AHEM
05-25-2005, 10:24 PM
I concur with Fred. Shure is the real deal when it comes to wireless mics. I couldn't imagine using anything else.

djnorm
05-27-2005, 06:31 AM
As far as I was concerned they may not have been as pretty as the supper models but they were certainly more feminine.

Freudian slip???

AudibleSolutions
05-27-2005, 07:05 AM
My spelling is so bad I do not get the joke. Feminine is incorrect spelled but what does it spell? I don't get the unconscience slip.

Alan

install1
05-27-2005, 09:58 AM
These are the ones that we used for a recent commercial job.

Shure Wl93 UHF wireless lavalier microphone system
Shure Pgx2/Beta 58 wireless handheld microphone system

Gary
05-27-2005, 10:05 AM
My spelling is so bad I do not get the joke. Feminine is incorrect spelled but what does it spell? I don't get the unconscience slip.

Alan

I think "supper models" was the joke.

OEX
05-27-2005, 08:51 PM
man oh man - am i hungry fur 'supper'

Damn - another fruedian typo slip

tomciara
05-28-2005, 12:07 AM
I've used the Shure with good results but also several TOA wireless that have good range and pretty solid. I did a country club in our area and they use the TOAs for meetings as well as the golf pro wandering out to the first tee on tournament days.

Anonymous
05-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Shure and Samson are two of the best. For the audio routing I would look at the clearone.com PSR1212. You can control via Crestron and call presets for meetings with mics.

http://www.clearone.com/product_service/product_detail.php?prodid=12

djnorm
05-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to 'she looks good enough to eat"... :D

Scottedge
05-31-2005, 12:34 PM
Sennheiser EW112-G2 for wireless microphone. Sennheiser is popular for TV and live performance setups. I really like the EW112-G2 but I needed a preamp to match other components in my system.

w_home-tech
05-31-2005, 10:03 PM
here's another vote for Sennheiser for amplifying someone who is speaking... if they're screaming, then a Shure is a good mic

Gary
06-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I decided this was out of my comfort zone, and brought in a pro. We have a relationship with a firm that does A/V and lighting mostly for churches. They use us when they need Crestron, I'm going to sub this part of the job to them.