PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a "Magnepull"?

georgep
05-25-2005, 07:21 PM
My installers returned from a retro job today. The Satellite installer that was also there had a new tool that they wanted to try out.

http://www.magnepull.com

They used the tool to pull several speaker wires down insulated walls and were very impressed. Apparently the magnets are SUPER strong and made quick work of the pulls.

It does not help much with fire blocks though and you better keep the magnet well away from your laptop hard drive and digital cameras.

Anyone else use this? Do you like it?

Thanks,

georgep

Greg_C
05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Looks pretty fricken cool! I'm calling them in the morning.

tomciara
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
If you have about 10 feet of that pull chain from the hardware store that you'd normally attach to a shop light in the garage, you can magnet that down the wall as well for quite a bit less than the $120 on that pup. Also, get one of those OLD style stud finders with the magnet that rotates inside the plastic - use that to find where the pull chain is inside the wall.

It's worth a look, though - keep us updated.

georgep
05-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Apparently, the magnet on this thing is VERY powerful. They said you could put the small piece on one side of your forearm and the roller magnet on the other and it still holds it tight.

They basically drilled a top plate hole, tied the cable on to the small magnet and put it in. The guy on the room side rolled the magnet down the wall and it pulled right through the insulation and out a small hole. They pulled six cables in a few minutes. Much faster than using our wet noodle, glow rods or fish tape.

I have no choice...they are forcing me to buy them one...

Georgep

Gary
05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
I have no choice...they are forcing me to buy them one...

Georgep

They? Who is they?

georgep
05-27-2005, 12:30 PM
They? Who is they?

My installers! They were very impressed after they used the Sat installers kit.

McKlepto
05-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Out of curiosity, does the magnet have a soft texture? It seems that you would have to make sure and check the roller and make sure that no stray small metal objects are hanging out on it before you roll it down the wall. That could leave some pretty unfriendly marks on the wall. Please keep us posted on how it works out for you and your installers.

Caffeinated
06-18-2005, 08:39 PM
I wonder if it can handle going up a wall.

idodishez
06-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Saw this in action this weekend at an expo in Memphis. Yes, it does have a soft covering. The outer edges of the roller are rubber coated, to protect the wall surface.

It pulled cable unbder carpet.

It went down AND up a wall.

It pulled a line through an insulated wall. At first when I saw the insulation, I figured it was blown in type, and getting the cable to pull around that would have been no big deal, as it would just be displaced as it gets pulled. However, it was conventional insulation stapled to the joists, and it pulled just fine.

Didnt even have to stick hand in wall to retrieve the cable, as it automatically exited the wall when the roller crossed the hole in the drywall.

tomciara
06-25-2005, 07:46 PM
So are you going to order one??

How come no one else here has tried one?

You don't want me to be the first, come on now!!

idodishez
06-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I probably wont be the first one on here to order one, but eventually I probably will.

tomciara
06-27-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey, I didn't notice this on their website before, but now it says the Magnepull is manufactured by Labor $aving Devices LLP.

I've got a few dandy tools from them.

Tortuga
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
My boss got the group Magnepulls from the Dish Direct show and they rock. Insulation is no problem it even cuts my time on non insulated drops. Like they said at the show "last thing you do is cut the hole". You can order them directly from the website www.magnepull.com. I think they even have a money back guarantee.

clinthicum
12-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Doing a retro job yesterday and I was reminded of how much I love my Magnepull ! Old school electrician laugh when they see it in my tool box, but you can't "pull" this tool away from me.

I used it to pull speaker wire across a basement ceiling from the front of the room to the back, where I was installing rear surround channel speakers. Plenty of insulation in the ceiling, but it was no challenge for the Magnepull.

Quick and easy. My client's wife watched me using it and stood there and watched in awe !

ps: they have some nice (smaller) magnetic ends now, that aren't as big as the original one that comes with the kit. I've got two of them in my box.
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductImages/wire_installation/magnepull44.jpg

aforlano
12-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Added bonus:

The magnets work great as steel stud finders, and will even find nail plates and drywall screws!

I love mine, been using it for years now.

ConCon
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
We have it and find it to heavy to drag once cable is attached. Works better if you drag a pull string first. Dose not work well in insulated walls.

Most all are projects are Reto-Fit.

Check out http://www.wallsnake.com/products.html
I like it much better. :p
Super nice guy to deal with.
The small string dose get tangled a bit.

SBSmarthomes
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I've seen these, but always considered them worthless... may have to reconsider.

My main reason for thinking it wouldn't work for me is that in central/southern California most homes have crazy amounts of horizontal and diagonal bracing for fire-block and seismic.

On the odd interior wall with no blocking it seems easy enough to send a fish rod up or down (even with insulation).

Am I missing something??? I guess one benefit is the smaller exit hole required, but I'm usually fishing towards a speaker cutout, wall box, etc. so again I'm not sure of the advantage? Fishing accross a ceiling is a good example... seems it could pay for itself with 1-2 uses for fishing accross ceilings. I guess I should try one.

tomciara
12-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Fishing across or down is best w/Magnepull. Fishing up can be less successful, especially with insulation. Not used a lot, but glad to have it.

fedders
12-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I use it when there really is no other option. Works OK in insulation, but you need to learn the trick of wiggling back/forth through the insulation instead of pulling straight up or down.

Agreed the magnet is not strong enough (Usually) to pull the wire. Instead, use the included metal-chain to do the initial pull then use that or some other pull string to actually fish the wire once you've found both ends of the pull.

I've not used it often, but when I do it has saved me time...

Carl