PDA

View Full Version : DVD - prgroessive or not!

OEX
05-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Here's the question - Do you run your DVD players with progressive output or leave this signal interlaced? I usually check which looks better and leave it at that. Just wondering what others are doing.

AudibleSolutions
05-27-2005, 10:57 PM
It depends on the DVD player or more usually the scaler. If it's a Fujitsu I usually let the Fujitsu scaler deinterlace as I think it is one built in to it is one of the great bargains in the business. If it is not a Fujitsu or there is not DCDi chip in the display I tend to let the DVD player do it. In some respects this calls to mind the old debate on S-Video. Should you take the output from [ name your device ] and run it into the display or let the display do the separation? The answer was it depended on whose comb filer was better. I should think the same answer applies in this case. And if your player has a DVI or HDMI output do you use it or do you rely on the analog signal?

I cannot say that your method is not in many respects superior to mine. I go on habit while you base your decision on epircial evidence each time. Might need to rethink the way I go about matters. I think yoiur the better method. I seem to spend more of my time on control.

Alan

flcusat
05-28-2005, 07:57 AM
I agreed 100% with Alan. I choose the device with the best processor to do the deinterlacing.

ejfiii
05-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Yup, I also agree with Alan. Fujutsu plasmas get interlaced. Better Projectors get interlaced. But unless its a Fujitsu plasma, I check each way first.

As for the digital, upsampled DVD players, I have found that unless its a high end DVD player (like 3910 Denon DVD and up), the picture isn't any better than component analog - especially after properly setting up the display.

YMMV and other disclaimers certainly apply here.

PS - oh, and OEX, the NEC plasmas get progressive FWIW.

OEX
05-28-2005, 09:01 AM
The good news, I'm not on crack. I just had a situation where I installed a Yamaha DVDs540 (Cheapie) and connected it to a Yamaha 42" plasma. I usually install their dvd1500 with dcdi but we were on a budget on this job. I left the DVD on interlaced and I find some other install company 'grading' my work. We had a detailed discusion about this and he said 'you always set it to progressive' which I respectfully disagreed. He also jacked with my plasma calibration. Details on other post.

tomciara
05-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Next question - if you are leaving it interlaced, can you see a difference in component over s-video?

OEX
05-28-2005, 12:13 PM
cant say I checked it. I just seems to make sense that when connecting a cheapie DVD to a decent plasma to at least see which looks better. Unfortunately this pretty subjective but as Alan had indicated some sets are better than others.

flcusat
06-03-2005, 06:13 AM
As I stated previously I always leave the piece with the best processor do the interlace but I agree with oex that you should check anyways and not assume that because is such or such brand will do a better job. For example I was doing and install yesterday with a Fujitsu 42" 40 series and a 6760 DVD changer from Yamaha. I followed my instint and put the DVD in interlaced but them I remembered this thread and decided to do some test. I used Finding Nemo Chapter 24(Pelicans about 1 hour and 17 minutes into the movie)the scene where the pelican is triyng to convince Nemo's dad and Dora to get in to his mouth to save them from the seagulls standing on the gunwale of the boat. That's a good scene to see how well a processor performs(I found this scene thanks to Lumagen last year at CEDIA). Well I found that the processor in the DVD changer while in progressive was performing way better than the Fujitsu's when I fed this the video interlaced. I played with all the processing setting in the Fujitsu Menu and still the progressive signal out of the DVD changer was way better. I assumed that the processor in the player was a DCDi but I didn't see any logo in the unit itself or the manual and when I got home I went straight to Yamaha's web site to find out but I wasn't able to get the info on what kind of processor this player has. There are other DVD players by Yamaha that indeed have a DCDi processor and is stated like that on the site but not for this one. By the way this is a $300 MSRP player. I remember when I did the ISF Certification course Joe Silver saying that we should always check both ways to be sure which one give the best results. I just wanted to share this experience with you guys. Do you guys have any other particular scenes that you use to check the processor?

ejfiii
06-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Man, that surprises me Pedro. Not doubting you at all, just surprised.

I'll have to look again using that scene.

avophile
06-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I agree with the "Trust but verify" approach that seems to be the consensus here. Default is the best (how is that determined, most expensive, a SWAG or are you measuring?) processor but check your results.

I've been slogging through my ISF certification test this week, and I found this reference online from a Joe Kane course at CEDIA in 2001 that might help explain unexpected performance results:

http://www.videoessentials.com/notes_on_video.php

To summarize:

He found that, at that time, many of the component inputs on televisions and outboard upconverters were actually connected to the s-video decoders in the devices.

He also found drastic variations in the voltages being sent out from DVD component outputs, between brands and model to model.

These situations were able to be rectified by using displays with access to adjustments and separate memories for each input.

The high def situation was even worse. The decoder matrix for standard and high definition are very different. They only found one television that was actually correctly set-up to auto-detect whether the signal on the component input was standard definition or HDTV. Others just sent both standards to one or the other decoder. The ensuing errors were too drastic to be compensated for by controls on the display.

I wonder if manufacturers are up to speed on this now. Or are these claims scare tactics being spread by a cabal that would have us mortgage our souls to buy expensive calibration gear?

Any thoughts?

idodishez
06-25-2005, 07:03 PM
. Or are these claims scare tactics being spread by a cabal that would have us mortgage our souls to buy expensive calibration gear?

Any thoughts?

Those were my concerns as well w Sencore/ISF