PDA

View Full Version : Might be stupid, but... Marantz Multi Room Discretes?

djnorm
08-19-2007, 06:15 PM
I haven't found any, but am still searching... Anybody have these? Is it still the old 'shoot the main zone codes in the multi input on the back' trick? I hope I can control this thing tomorrow...

TIA

Norm

TouchToBegin
08-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Which remote? For RTI there are MultiA and MultiB discretes listed in the database.

CCD
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't found any, but am still searching... Anybody have these? Is it still the old 'shoot the main zone codes in the multi input on the back' trick? I hope I can control this thing tomorrow...

TIA

Norm
I think maybe you are thinking HK.

djnorm
08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Which remote? For RTI there are MultiA and MultiB discretes listed in the database.
Don't I feel (Baaaaaa) sheepish... I looked under "SR", and not "2006". Who knew?

Thanks again.

Norm

TedW
08-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Don't I feel (Baaaaaa) sheepish... I looked under "SR", and not "2006". Who knew?

Thanks again.

Norm

This has been covered many times now. There is little that you can not do with the Marantz. If you can't find a specific code you are looking for just ask, cause it's in there. There are discrete codes for the main SPkA and B. I usually put SPKA ON in the power up macro in case someone has been playing with the front panel. Also the 2nd zone has separate codes for multi preamp on and multi speaker on.

Discrete 2nd zone FM codes don't respond/are over ridden if the main zone is also on FM. Who uses FM though?

idodishez
08-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Who uses FM though?

me

TedW
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
me

I knew someone was going to say something :)

I personally don't have much use for FM but a big part of my feelings of FM is that the areas I work in have horrible FM reception. So many of the systems I do have no FM programming on the remote at all.

I was going to edit the FM comment out but in the Post Brad Era it's not possible

ATOH
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't use FM. My clients don't either, unless I install a stand alone tuner. No AM/FM/XM from a receiver!

And yes, Marantz codes are available for EVERY FUNCTION. Right off their website, you just need to create the Pronto Hex using Makehex.

idodishez
08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
No AM/FM/XM from a receiver!

Can you explain?
Why not?

ATOH
08-20-2007, 08:03 PM
This is my personal preference. Simplifies control and various other things, even with using Marantz and having all the discretes. I like devices to do JUST what their main function is.

djnorm
08-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I found them, bought a T1 this morning, and did the job today. I don't particularly love the z2 implementation of the Marantz. Twice I switched from zone2 to zone1 on the intellicontrol, only to find that the volume was still working the zone2 because I hadn't waited long enough and the multi light was still flashing. Thus the zone1 'discrete' volume codes controlled the zone2 volume.

I still prefer the Yamaha zone2/3 implementation.

Different strokes...

Justis Peters
08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
This is my personal preference. Simplifies control and various other things, even with using Marantz and having all the discretes. I like devices to do JUST what their main function is.

Wouldn't this mean that, in addition to replacing the tuner in the receiver, you should also replace the video scaler, the preamp switching, and the surround format decoding?

I agree with your thinking in principal. It just runs the risk of getting too expensive quickly, depending on your client.

Kind regards,
Justis

TedW
08-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I found them, bought a T1 this morning, and did the job today. I don't particularly love the z2 implementation of the Marantz. Twice I switched from zone2 to zone1 on the intellicontrol, only to find that the volume was still working the zone2 because I hadn't waited long enough and the multi light was still flashing. Thus the zone1 'discrete' volume codes controlled the zone2 volume.

I still prefer the Yamaha zone2/3 implementation.

Different strokes...

I'm not sure what you are running into but I have not had that problem. I found the Z2 implementation to be pretty confusion at first but once I figured it out it is now flawless and I have no call backs on it.

djnorm
08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure what you are running into but I have not had that problem. I found the Z2 implementation to be pretty confusion at first but once I figured it out it is now flawless and I have no call backs on it.
Admittedly this won't happen very often, but the fact that it's possible is annoying enough. If you change volume in the multiA, and then switch to controlling the main zone and start using the main zone vol+/- commands before the multi light stops blinking on the faceplate, you will have the unintended consequence of raising/lowering the multiA volume even though you are sending the "main zone" vol +/- commands. With 'true' discretes, one code would only be asked to perform one function, and wouldn't be capable of doing anything else...

Either way, this customer is happy, and I won't be specifying any Marantz multi zone any time soon, so my problem is solved for now. Thanks for the input, everyone...

Norm

TedW
08-22-2007, 07:53 AM
Admittedly this won't happen very often, but the fact that it's possible is annoying enough. If you change volume in the multiA, and then switch to controlling the main zone and start using the main zone vol+/- commands before the multi light stops blinking on the faceplate, you will have the unintended consequence of raising/lowering the multiA volume even though you are sending the "main zone" vol +/- commands. With 'true' discretes, one code would only be asked to perform one function, and wouldn't be capable of doing anything else...

Either way, this customer is happy, and I won't be specifying any Marantz multi zone any time soon, so my problem is solved for now. Thanks for the input, everyone...

Norm

I'll have to check this the next one I do. I honestly never noticed it. I have systems with different remotes for 2nd zone and main and they are used simultaneously. never noticed this happening.

ATOH
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
You can get true discretes. You just have to make them with Makehex. I posted the zone 2 discretes on remotecentral not too long ago.

This does work discretely, and no "window" to speak of. Granted, I've only done it once but others have used the same codes and had good results.

estech
08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Here's a copy of my Marantz Multizone codes for RTI, all generated from Makehex, and tested. No windows to worry about.

idodishez
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Here's a copy of my Marantz Multizone codes for RTI, all generated from Makehex, and tested. No windows to worry about.

Are you saying these are specifically for Z2? Becasue I dont see anything in there that denotes Z2 codes. Looks the same as the regular Marantz codes in the Mega list.

estech
08-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Oh yea, I realized later in the day, after I posted those codes, that all the zone 2 setups I've done on the Marantz were RS232, which are discrete and work flawlessly. The IR codes I posted above do need to run in that "Multi" window. A real pain... that's why I just use serial and fuhgettaboudit...;)