PDA

View Full Version : cable colors...what do you use and for what?

mr2channel
06-03-2005, 08:48 PM
just curious to find out what you guys are using as far as cable color goes, and what you are using it for and why?

I use white RG6Q as main lines, black as spares
white (green cat in the banana peel) cat5e for phone, and blue for network (and a matching blue jack on the wall plate)
white speaker wire just because...
gray for LV power or control
ground wire....green (solid 12ga)

OEX
06-03-2005, 10:06 PM
white cat5 -pots
blue cat5 = network
black rg6q - catv
white rg6 = sat, fm ant
yellow cat 5 = pots feed
green cat5 = keypads/controllers

Kelly
06-03-2005, 10:13 PM
For data & audio/video systems:

White RG6 coax for room feeds (solid copper) so I can write on it.

Black RG6 coax for cable service feed (no label required).

Red/Blue/Green/White/Yellow RG59 "serial digital" (Liberty) for for component vid, compsite vid and Sub feed.

White cat5e for control wire (Abus,CAv,CAM, IR, etc).

Yellow cat5e for data.

Blue cat5e for Telco.

Green cat5e for spare (haven't had any of this lately though).

A virtual rainbow of colors for speaker wire. Placement depends on where it's going.

We do a similar thing with regards to security systems. Various colors used for the various parts of the system. See a yellow wire? It's a window run. White? It's a door run....etc, etc, etc.

ericstac
06-06-2005, 07:30 AM
I tried using different colors for different things, thinking it would make sence to have security zones in a different color and netowrk drops differ from phone but it ended up being a mess at trim when we find out a guy ran out of one wire and used a different.. so now we are down to basics:

RG6QS - white
Cat5e - navy blue

16/2, 16/4 navy blue
22/2 - white
22/4 - red (fire rated)

dark blue and white are the company colors, shirts, logos, give-aways,etc. are all blue and white and so are our prewires.

I've seen some whack jobs where thare are four different cat5e colors along with white and black RG6 and nothing is done to make any sense. But I guess thats what happens when you let Brinks prewire all your low voltage in your homes..