PDA

View Full Version : GrafikEye3000 control cable

Darren
06-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Lutron suggests their GRX-CBL-346S cable for low voltage communication to Lutron accessories. I need a short run (20ft) from the Grafik-Eye to a GRX-IRI (remote IR sensor), will CAT-5 do the job?

AudibleSolutions
06-05-2005, 11:05 AM
It will work but if you have any issues you will be on an island as you have done two things wrong.

1. You have not followed the manufacture's wire specification ( which is for shielded wire not unshielded, twisted pair. )

2. You will be placing a wire not rated to be in a high voltage box and in so doing violating NEC

One other thing to keep in mind is that Grafik Eye mux link is old and slow. CAT5 may be too fast to deal with this link. Why not use 2 pair shielded or cabled wire? If you don't want to spring for a wire made to factory specifications why not at least try to follow the specifications as closely as possible? It will in all probability work but why play dice with a system when you know if you have problems the manufacturer will hold you responsible for not following thier specifications? By the way, I have made Grafik Eyes work with contact closure wire. I would not recommend taking the risk though if there were a choice ( and there was not in my case. )

Alan

Kelly
06-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Lutron suggests their GRX-CBL-346S cable for low voltage communication to Lutron accessories. I need a short run (20ft) from the Grafik-Eye to a GRX-IRI (remote IR sensor), will CAT-5 do the job?

I have a 1000' Spool of the low voltage wire for Lutron ad-on devices that I bought from Liberty a long time back.

Drop me a line with address info and such, and I'll be happy to send 30/40 feet out to you.

You just pay for the UPS charges...

Darren
06-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Kelly,

Thanks!!! You got PM!

Crazyone
09-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Be careful with the old liberty wire, depending on its age, some of it is acceptable, some is not. That is the solution though! Unfortuatly liberty has changed the wire and it doesnt comply anymore.

There is a few other things you can use though. I will try and find my spool of wire and get the manufacture we use for the high voltage box...

B