PDA

View Full Version : Now this looks like a cool product

vette84
09-02-2007, 09:35 PM
check it out...

http://www.acomtools.com/

a little pricey, but it could save an hour or two of labor.

COMediaSys
09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I dunno $50 for a few hours a month is worth the price...

Nice find!

avzone
09-02-2007, 11:57 PM
check it out...

http://www.acomtools.com/

a little pricey, but it could save an hour or two of labor.Yes, very cool. I got the same email. I'm surprised it wasn't posted sooner. Glad you did. I printed the cut sheet as a reminder and forgot about it. So much for my reminder. :rolleyes:

avzone
09-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I can't imagine it won't be at CEDIA Expo for a deal.

QQQ
09-03-2007, 01:28 AM
WTF???

http://www.acomtools.com/resources/images/IMG_0474.jpg

OK, so in other words if I have a bunch of very nicely managed cables and I want to separate them so that they look like sh*t I use this product? This has GOT to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in my life. What exactly did I just accomplish here other than making my previously cool looking installation look like a $10 hack job?

QQQ
09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I just watched the video and as Gilda Radner would say "nevermind". They might want to do a better job of communicating what it is meant for on the pictures page, to put it mildly.

http://www.acomtools.com/pictures.html

crestrontech
09-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Cable Comb -Q, you're not one of those dudes that wear a rake?:p

def90
09-03-2007, 11:19 AM
I just watched the video and as Gilda Radner would say "nevermind". They might want to do a better job of communicating what it is meant for on the pictures page, to put it mildly.

http://www.acomtools.com/pictures.html
So the first paragraph on the first page wasn't enough to tell you what it was for?

"The Cable Comb ™ (U.S. Patent 6,976,512 B2) substantially cuts labor time in any application where a multitude of single cables must be bundled neatly for a professional appearing installation. This innovative two piece tool enables cable technicians to quickly and efficiently straighten, organize, and lash single cables into multiple cable bundles with ease."

flyingmachine
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
WTF???

http://www.acomtools.com/resources/images/IMG_0474.jpg

OK, so in other words if I have a bunch of very nicely managed cables and I want to separate them so that they look like sh*t I use this product? This has GOT to be one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in my life. What exactly did I just accomplish here other than making my previously cool looking installation look like a $10 hack job?

LOL, did you think you left them like they show in that pic?

QQQ
09-03-2007, 04:38 PM
One of the issues I've studied extensively is and it applies to everyone including me is what we look at and what we filter out. There's a very interesting article along those lines here and I read everything this guy writes:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/banner-blindness.html

I admit to doing a lot of filtering and there are several reasons I did not read what was on the first page. First of all, I would not assume that a company sells only ONE product and since it said "welcome to acom tools" I had no reason to read that page further because I assumed that it was going to tell me about their company. Secondly I don't like the design of the first page and don't find it easy on the eyes.

So the very first thing I did was click on the link that said "pictures", which if they had their act together would show a guy USING the tool. Instead they show a bunch of pictures just like the one below without a SINGLE picture of someone using it as a tool. So I wrongly assumed it was meant to separate your cables out and make it easy to get at them individually. Dumb assumption? Maybe, but IMO there is not a single picture that *communicates" what it is.

Now this is the type of thing you can blame on the "user", but if it was my website I'd make some minor changes that would improve those things so they did not happen. A good website designer should NEVER assume someone is going to read something before they start clicking. Think about it this way, if you had a portfolio of good pictures of your installations and bad pictures of wiring nightmares you corrected, would you want to make it clear on the page WITH the pictures that it's not your work and that they are jobs you corrected? Or would you explain it somewhere else and then just have a link titled "portfolio" on the side that jumps someone to all those ugly pictures. That would be very bad GUI design.

QQQ
09-03-2007, 04:42 PM
LOL, did you think you left them like they show in that pic?
Well, there are exactly 13 pictures in the pictures section and not ONE of them shows a "finished" picture of all the wire looking nice. not ONE before and after pic, NOTHING. Just several pics like the one I posted. So ya, I assumed it was another dumb invention.

Websites have about 5 seconds to catch my attention and communicate something to me before I click away. That is a sad situation caused by being cascaded with an endless supply of spam, marketing and so on. If one picture there had communicated what it did I'd have "got it". The only reason I decided to click again is because people I respect were recommending it here, I so thought perhaps I had missed something, which indeed I had.

QQQ
09-03-2007, 04:50 PM
BTW, for those interested in usability (which is what I am talking about here), just about everything this guy writes is pure gold. I don't necessarily agree with every single thing he writes, but I've found his insight invaluable.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

Here is a typically good article.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/features.html

2ndRick
09-03-2007, 06:27 PM
"quantities over 10, call for volume discount"

You guys want me to put on the old buyer's hat and see if they have a distribution program for IntegrationPros.com??

How many are we projecting to be sold??
I would bet that an opening order of 50 pcs. would get their attention...

djnorm
09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I was going to buy one, but if the price was right, I could swing two. I'm in.

avzone
09-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm certainly on board.

crestrontech
09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I'll try 2

flyingmachine
09-03-2007, 07:29 PM
id probably get one.

QQQ
09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
It costs 50 bucks. If you get a quantity discount they are going to get shipped to the same address. Then someone is going to have to ship them out to everyone. It'll be like driving 20 miles to get gas 2 cents cheaper a gallon :p.

flyingmachine
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
It costs 50 bucks. If you get a quantity discount they are going to get shipped to the same address. Then someone is going to have to ship them out to everyone. It'll be like driving 20 miles to get gas 2 cents cheaper a gallon :p.

Not for me if Rick gets them all shipped to him. :p

Dogman
09-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm in

Dog

avzone
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
It costs 50 bucks. If you get a quantity discount they are going to get shipped to the same address. Then someone is going to have to ship them out to everyone. It'll be like driving 20 miles to get gas 2 cents cheaper a gallon :p.Although slightly assumptive, chances are that's true. Then again, they could treat this more like a buying group and ship to seperate addresses. Many vendors will bend the rules a little if it means the difference between no sale versus a quantity sale.

sirroundsound
09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
If you can get a reasonable discount for IP members I can be added to the list for 1 or 2 of them.
Those going to Cedia should keep an eye out for them, they are missing the boat if they are not there. Mind you they may have been from the IT business side and not know about Cedia.

Justis Peters
09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
So the very first thing I did was click on the link that said "pictures", which if they had their act together would show a guy USING the tool. Instead they show a bunch of pictures just like the one below without a SINGLE picture of someone using it as a tool. So I wrongly assumed it was meant to separate your cables out and make it easy to get at them individually. Dumb assumption? Maybe, but IMO there is not a single picture that *communicates" what it is.

A picture is worth 1000 words. If you use the wrong picture, it will cost you 1001 words to rectify the problem.

Kind regards,
Justis

avzone
09-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, I spoke to them Wednesday and no dice on a discount if they ship to each address even at qty of 50. The discounted price for qty over 10 is $39. They will not be at CEDIA either.

avzone
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
HOLD EVERYTHING!!! DON'T ORDER THIS YET!!!

It just came in the mail today. RG6 Quad does not fit without forcing it. I'll check other wire and report back.

vette84
09-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Specs said anything up to 1/4", which would certainly exclude some quad and probably any speaker cable larger than 16/2.
Maybe we can put the bug in their ear to make one with larger cutouts.