PDA

View Full Version : PowerBridge In-wall Power System for Wall Mounted TV's

PowerBridge
09-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Hello, I would like to introduce my company and what we offer to the professional A/V installer. We showed at CEDIA last weekend and everyone that came by was blown away with PowerBridge.

First our background: 28 years in the electronics industry, 14 years in installation and integration of A/V.

We have been installing flat screen TV's since 2001 and the big issue of how to get A/C power in the wall to meet code. Yup, like many of you, tell the customer to hire an eletrician, install an outlet, then schedule your install for the TV and find the outlet place on the wall where you need to put the mount.. we've all been there!

Or, you run ROMEX to a clock receptacle down to the existing outlet and branch off, then your dealing with electricity and who really wants to do that..

Then if the customer wants their new expensive HTDV plugged into a surge protector, you have no solution, unless you sell them the hyper-expensive panamax unit.

We created a very inexpensive solution for in-wall power that you can install yourself, make a very decent profit from too.

PowerBridge is a complete kit with a recessed outlet, a recessed code compliant power plug inlet, a power connection cord to connect a surge protector or to an existing outlet near the TV or source equipment. You supply the Romex.

Check it out, it was the most popular new product at CEDIA. ask me any questions you may have.

http://powerbridgesolution.com/aboutpowerbridge.html

jberger
09-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Well at least you are using your company name in the posts here, not shilling like you were on the AVS forums.

I'll ask the same question to you again.

Has this kit been UL certified?

PowerBridge
09-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Good morning jberger.

Not sure exactly how to respond to your claim that we are "shilling", on AVS Forum. As a company, we have not posted on that forum, although we understand we have been mentioned many times and have reviewed some of those posts due to the high interest from referrals from that site.
This forum was mentioned to us from an installer/visitor to our CEDIA booth last weekend and was suggested we visit here as it appears to be more directly suited for our marketing of PowerBridge to the pro-installer.

To answer part of your reply post; if someone directly from PowerBridge failed to reply directly to a question from our website contact page or our toll free number regarding your inquiry of UL, please accept an apology for perhaps missing your communication.

Yes, all components supplied are UL approved for US use, each part has a UL stamp or label. Each part used in making the kit is manufactured to UL requirements and when installed as instructed using NM (Romex) wire to connect the power inlet and outlet and what is required by your local jurisdiction regarding NM wire and receptacle installation. PowerBridge meets NEC compliancy for AC power connection within a wall/ceiling for any device requiring AC 125v 15 amp circuit connection.

Thank you for your question and hope this product will have benefit to you and other professional installers on this forum.

jberger
09-12-2007, 09:50 AM
I'm still confused by your reply.
Has this product in it's complete form been certified and UL listed or are just the components UL listed?

That's a rather important distinction with certain installations.
We've been using the panamax because it is the only kit we could find that was certified and UL listed as a complete kit, not just a collection of parts or assemblies. It's an expensive kit, but that's the price for having it certified.

I don't want to turn this post into a catfight, but will you state that neither your company or any associated parties to powerbridge or HD-products or affiliated entities was involved in the postings of "HDTVlover45" on the AVSforum ?

The issue is one of trust, that concerns me particularly.

If I don't believe I'm being treated with honesty and openly, I can't spec or recommend a product.

The posts on AVS don't pass the sniff test in regards to HDTVlover45 and powerbridge:

1) 6 of the 7 threads started in various forums have a link to (your) company's web site.

2) over 2/3 of (HDTVlover45) 160+posts are in threads discussing this product.

A request for full disclosure was never answered by the OP at AVS.

Your response here in IP seems ambiguous and evasive to me.

Theaterworks
09-12-2007, 09:51 AM
In Chicago and a few other areas metal boxes are required. Will your assembly fix in a metal box, or are you planning on supplying a metal box at any point in the future?

PowerBridge
09-12-2007, 10:03 AM
In Chicago and a few other areas metal boxes are required. Will your assembly fix in a metal box, or are you planning on supplying a metal box at any point in the future?

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we are aware that certain areas, require metal boxes and jacketed "romex", this is why we note to check with your jurisdiction and understand special requirements.
At this time we are not offering metal box upgrades, but will soon, when we can aquire proper pricing for such. We have a number of other Chicago and NY area installers that use PowerBridge and purchase metal boxes on their own to meet local code. Yes our receptacles will fit in a metal box.

PowerBridge
09-12-2007, 10:27 AM
jberger

I can understand your concern, as to specific UL cert. At this time UL has stated as long as all components are UL we can assemble this kit until we manufacture our own product. As we move towards one piece manufacturing this product directly with our suppliers, we will have UL cert on our specific product.
All I can say is if you are not comfortable with this do not install them, however, the primary manufacturer of the parts used are fully aware of the kit and we have discussed the uses with their engineers and there is no issue regarding it intended use as long as it's installed to meet code compliancy.

As to some connection with AVS forum posts, we understand HDTVLOVER purchased our product several months ago and posted how it was a solution he had found that met his needs. We have determined who that person is and have contacted him and with regard to his approval of the product we can not keep him from posts on AVS. We have also noted many others that have also purchased and noted on AVS with positive feedback as well as on our own website.

I appologize for coming off as ambiguous and evasive, in trying to answer your question directly, I feel I have, to the best of what information we have to provide you. I'm not sure what different answer you wish to hear.

If anyone else feels the same, please allow me to respond and if this is creating some issue with posting here, I will discontinue posts.

Thank you for your concern and good luck to you in your business.

PowerBridge
09-13-2007, 10:18 PM
As a professional installer, we are offering PowerBridge at a special try it out price until 9/21. You will need to select the page tab at the top of the page www.powerbridgesolution.com (http://www.powerbridgesolution.com) Special Offer CEDIA Only, when the user name/password box appears, enter the word: special : for both. This will allow you to a special price page.

Hope you try a PowerBridge on one of your next installations. Any questions, please message me or post.

idodishez
09-14-2007, 08:18 PM
http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/newproductdualoutlet.html

What prompted the X-10 capability? Seems like an odd "niche" to fill for a startup company when targeting the CI.

I suppose you could use this w UPB or other powerline systems other than X-10 however.

roddymcg
09-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I do not like the fact that the first thing that comes from your post is an advertisement for your company. That is not what this site is for...

PowerBridge
09-15-2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.powerbridgesolution.com/newproductdualoutlet.html

What prompted the X-10 capability? Seems like an odd "niche" to fill for a startup company when targeting the CI.

I suppose you could use this w UPB or other powerline systems other than X-10 however.

The dual outlet design was prompted by a supplier of bias light systems and several installers who wanted a dual recessed receptacle for the TV and another for using bias lighting in conjunction with x-10 timer/remote outlets. Of course what ever other control devices you use for separtae circuit control is perfectly fine.

The other use is when installing the Yamaha one-piece sound unit below the TV so both the TV and sound system can be plugged in when wall mounted.

Gary
09-15-2007, 12:54 AM
If you would like to purchase an add on this site please PM me, this forum was not intended to be your personal marketing tool.

PowerBridge
09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Roodymcg

Did not wish to create a issue on this forum. I'm very confused,,,, this is a special forum for the professional trade to share ideas and products that work or suited for this industry. Other forum members that visited our booth at CEDIA encourged me to post here, as they felt this was the perfect place to let other professional installers know about a code compliant soultion for in-wall power. This post is in the PRODUCT discussion area and appears there are mainly started posts that mention products.

I'm sorry for creating such a distrubance in this forum. If you wish not to look at PowerBridge as a valuable and profitable product for your business then by all means don't purchase or use it. Perhaps I've over stepped some boundries that were not made clear regarding posting about ideas or products on this forum.

If the moderator wishes I not further any posts due to some guidelines that were crossed, then by all means I will comply. :confused:

TedW
09-15-2007, 07:21 AM
While I am as annoyed as the next guy with people that SPAM forums I don't really understand what the problem is. To my knowledge the product was posted about ONE time and the posts have been professional and informative. If anything this PUBLIC product discussion forum is the perfect place for manufactures to post about new products. It's not as if he did a post and run - he's here to answer questions.

Just don't do it every week on the same product and I don't see the problem at all. just my opinion.

smcnally
09-15-2007, 08:17 AM
If you wish not to look at PowerBridge as a valuable and profitable product for your business then by all means don't purchase or use it. Perhaps I've over stepped some boundries that were not made clear regarding posting about ideas or products on this forum.

You're a salesman at heart! The thing is this...The "Product Discussions" forum is exactly that...it is a place for people to discuss products they use and to talk about the good and bad of each. It is not a place for salesman to market their product. Also, why would you put an "Installer Special" in a public forum? Seems like a special for anyone and everyone that way ;)

Ted, the reason it shouldn't be allowed is because just imagine how flooded this forum would get from ads from every manufacturer out there even if you only allowed one advertisement a month from these guys.

tschulte
09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I agree. This isn't RC or AVS, this is supposed to be a place that we can openly discuss the good, bad, and ugly about products, reps, manufacturers, clients, etc. without repurcussion. His product was already posted (by a member) and discussed.

I didn't mind his first post to say, "this is what our product is, and I am hear to answer any questions." But then when a direct question was asked he gave a VERY vague answer. Why can't a manufacturer just say, "No, our product is not UL listed?"

I am still relatively new here, so I don't want to speak for everyone, and if I am out of line please post here so everyone can see. But I think it has been made VERY clear by Gary and some of the long time members that this site is supposed to be for CIs. We do allow the occasional rep, or manufacturer in, but only after long consideration and much discussion amongst ourselves. I also think those that have been allowed in are respectful about pushing what they sell. Hell, Fred is even affraid to mention his company's name (lol).

PowerBridge, if you are going to post here (even in the public area) you need to have thick skin, be able to answer questions directly and honestly, and stand behind what you say.

roddymcg
09-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Your post is all about your company and your product. We are a bunch of people who, own, work for, install for, sell for, rep for, train for, and what ever for. But we are people, not company's.

Try coming in a saying my name is so and so and I work for a company that provides so and so. I have been in the industry for ?? of years. I Like dogs and love travel or whatever.

Get to know us and let us get to know you and from there share your experiences. Your product or the value will come up and some of us might even try this. Most of us are not up for a fight here and your experiences the the industry could be a great value...

There are a couple of guys who work for manufacturers here that come in like this and I think most of us have been very welcome to them. Over time I know I personally have tried to throw some business towards one of them. Now he just has to release the damn product though... :p

Gary
09-15-2007, 10:20 AM
Powerbridge, I got your PM and will anwser it here. It is generly considered bad etiquette to use interweb forms as a free marketing tool. If someone were to ask a question about issue and your products could address said issue, then it would be appropriate to post. If you have other areas of knowledge then anwser those questions as well. I was kidding about the adds, this site is supported by donations, there is a link on the home page. If you're going to use this site to promote your products, the least you could do is donate some cash.

PowerBridge
09-15-2007, 10:47 AM
To all and especially Gary.

Ok, I'll start over, my name is Jim, I too have been in the AV installation industry for 18 years, started in the big-dish then small dish and have all along installed AV. I created my product with the intention to make a solution to the problem of a code compliant way to run power and have surge protection that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm really just a little guy too, that has invested all my savings into this product.

Again, I'm very sorry I did not understand the guidelines rules to this forum, I did not see any rules as to posting, I thought I was ok with posting in the PRODUCT area. I did not see any ad's or where a company could purchase ads and again, it was another member, of whom I don't know his user name that visited our CEDIA booth and said you should post to let other installers know about this, he never mentioned all that is being said about rules. Even though this appears as a public forum, it has rules, obviously I messed up and did not come on here to create poor will.

Gary I will look into a donation, now that I understand this is how works. However, seems unfair that some members here have already executed me and I'm confused as to what I said unprofessionally in any of my post, I just made the error in judgement that posting here for a industry related product was ok, I wasn't trying to sell insurance.

As to being accused of being evasive, again I'm confused as to how some think that, as I answered each reply with correct information, perhaps in a way that in making clarity, it came off as evasive, again I'm sorry I wasn't more direct.
Being accused of having some connection to other people that have posted on other forums, I answered that as no, yet for what ever reason those that feel I do are spending efforts to create something that is not or irrelivant to this forum in the fact I personally came on here as my company and user name as such.

I'm not going to post more threads regarding my product any further, Gary perhaps removing this post would be best for all, since I'm being rediculed for a misunderstanding of rules I did not understand in advance.

Good luck to you all.

roddymcg
09-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Welcome, this is a tough crowd and we do get very defensive. You are right that there are no written rules, you should know all the rules though. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the gang Jim, nobody has exucuted you here as far as I know. Thick skin is a must here, but I cannot express the value I have gotten from this site over the years...

PowerBridge
09-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Welcome, this is a tough crowd and we do get very defensive. You are right that there are no written rules, you should know all the rules though. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the gang Jim, nobody has exucuted you here as far as I know. Thick skin is a must here, but I cannot express the value I have gotten from this site over the years...

roddymcg..
Thank you for your reply... OK I'm putting on my armor.. LOL... I really didn't know of rules, this really is the first time I've directly been part of a forum like this, but now I know. I will be respectful and direct with replies.

I really am here to be hopefully a useful part of this forum and if I have an idea on anything related, I'll share... I'm confused though on one thing, all I seem to see is 3 public areas,,, are there more that I can't see as a new member? :confused:

idodishez
09-15-2007, 11:22 AM
You are right that there are no written rules, you should know all the rules though. :rolleyes:

In other words just think of it as being married:lol:

And yes, there are other "verified" forums for guys in the business. Owners, installer, etc. Dont know that I'd push that right now;-)

PowerBridge
09-15-2007, 11:28 AM

And yes, there are other "verified" forums for guys in the business. Owners, installer, etc. Dont know that I'd push that right now;-)

LOL... ok, well the honeymoon was short and it rained the whole time!

Ok, got it, thanks for the hint, like I said I'll be respectful to all the "rules", as I learn them... really would be good for new people coming on to know them in advance and not have a assumption that one may or should know.

Gary
09-15-2007, 11:58 AM
LOL... ok, well the honeymoon was short and it rained the whole time!

Ok, got it, thanks for the hint, like I said I'll be respectful to all the "rules", as I learn them... really would be good for new people coming on to know them in advance and not have a assumption that one may or should know.

Welcome to the forum Jim, glad to have you here.

roddymcg
09-15-2007, 12:33 PM

That is about a good as answer as you could come up with, briliant....

PowerBridge
09-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Jim, glad to have you here.

Thanks Gary... appriciate the welcome...

CCD
09-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks Gary... appriciate the welcome...
Jim, as previously stated, you already got a lot of free press here from the members that saw you booth at CEDIA and discussed it here the day after CEDIA. Your self promotion just looks a little odd after all the posts that you obviously cannot see because they are in the verified sections.
We have long needed a product like this and luckily you have a solution as well as a couple of other manufacturers that have products in the pipeline. I appreciate all that are working on solutions to make our job more profitable and easier. I was very excited to hear one of our regulars here is close to a very cheap and smart solution. I personally am holding out for this product since the distrubution will be limited to vendors I currently use and not sold on the internet or AVSForum.
Welcome Jim, I wish you much success with your product.

PowerBridge
09-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks CCD... No, I have not seen the regular posts. My timimg in posting this post was only because another member here recommended we do so. As far as getting free press, I thought this particular post area was for that, obviously I was very wrong as everyone has made that clear. I have PM'd Gary and will no longer post any new ones promoting my product.

I did not come here to post an ad and leave. I'm interested in being part of this forum as anyone else. I'm hear to answer questions and so far all I'm doing is defending myself for not knowing what were supposed to be assumed rules of forums. I looked for rules and ability to advertise, yet those are not apparent anywhere on this site to do so. I made the error in assuming this was a public forum and open to discussion regarding professional industry products and know-how. I was wrong, plain and simple, I made a huge mistake in thinking as another professional installer like myself, this product would be ripped apart not by what it is, but by what mistake I made posting here. I've asked Gary to remove this post since it has become so negative toward accusations that I've tried to skirt around something. I really can't understand all the energy in making accusations towards me that are just that, accusations. I came here not hiding who and what my product is, so why would I do something different elsewhere?

I'm just a small business owner like everyone else here.

I'm sorry I have created such a distrubance here, I will reply to those who have comments and questions witin this post area only, and will no longer, as accused, attempt to disrupt your forum with any new posts.

Thanks to those who did actually see us at CEDIA and have looked at this as a positive product for them and apparently have posted in the member area of which I have not seen or have access to apparently. As to other products available or soon available, that's what free world enterprise is. Again CCD, thank you for your wish for my success, as I wish that for you in your business. Jim

Sorry this became such a long post, just needed to get this off to all to hopefully understand what I didn't honestly understand.

ebecker
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
got mine in the other day off the cedia special. not bad construction at all good overal lquality

would send some pics but can't find 4 aa battereis for the camera

2 things, would be nice if you could get the "extension cord" part as a straight plug and not as a right angle style plug, but no biggie i can pull some short plugs out of stock and use these other places.

also wouldn't be such a bad idea to be ableto buy just the male plug plate for certain applications. ie today we had two projos, the electrician put us two plugs up and then we just used one of the kits for the head end, but have half the kit left over

not bad for the price. Definantly sold on using these over making my own, where i get from in the future depends on where else they show up at

PowerBridge
09-17-2007, 10:37 PM
got mine in the other day off the cedia special. not bad construction at all good overal lquality

Thanks, we work hard to make a quality product, and thanks for your order!

2 things, would be nice if you could get the "extension cord" part as a straight plug and not as a right angle style plug, but no biggie i can pull some short plugs out of stock and use these other places.

Yup, I see that sometimes as an issue... Actually it's very difficult to find straight plug 3' cords, I've tried and unless we have them special made in China in huge quantities, straight plugs ends are hard to find that don't cost an arm and a leg, but have been looking into a straight plug end for the male end. thanks for your comment.

also wouldn't be such a bad idea to be ableto buy just the male plug plate for certain applications. ie today we had two projos, the electrician put us two plugs up and then we just used one of the kits for the head end, but have half the kit left over

I know, I've had 3 other installers ask the same... The problem is we have to make these as a kit, due to the way we order equal quantity of each part and our packaging is set for both wall plates. You have no idea what it cost to make special packaging, each die cut for cardboard cost $650.00 alone + the cost of the cardbord and bags and toppers, it's been a real learning experience... Actually the highest cost is the inlet part anyway, so just selling that alone would be a large part of the total price.

not bad for the price. Definantly sold on using these over making my own, where i get from in the future depends on where else they show up at

Thanks again, I'm not trying to make a co-zillion dollars on these, but the cost of all the parts, lables required, packaging, and the labor to make them is high, although not nearly as high as the other option out there.
I am looking into and in discussion with the primary manufacture to make these parts for less, so I can get them out to installers for less!
Allot of distributors and Reps came by the CEDIA booth and want to carry PowerBridge, so you may well see them soon, locally.. not so sure for less than we sell for direct, but if someone else comes out with a cheaper version, then all the power to them, but warning I have a patent pending design in at the USPO currently, and yes a full UL listing is pending currently as well, for the kit. Not that we are required to have one since each component has one already, and we have listed those UL certs on the website for those interested.

Thanks again ebecker for your positive comments and suggestions.

Jim

PowerBridge
09-17-2007, 10:48 PM

ebecker, if you PM me, I'll work out something with you to get you an inlet plate to make up for the extra outlet you ended up with. I understand your problem.

drsung
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I received the 5 items I ordered at CEDIA and have already used 4 of them. I can attest to them being a solid product at a fair price!

Jim, if you are taking suggestions, I would like to see a doublegang box at the head end with a bulk plate for wires. In that case, I would only have to make 1 hole up top instead of two.

Something like this at the top:
http://www.datacommelectronics.com/product.php?ID=430

PowerBridge
09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
drsung

Thanks for your positive comments and glad to hear they are working for you and you're making some extra money on your installs.

Yes, the plan to offer a low voltage pass-through piece has been in the works for several months and we have built proto-types. We are tooling for that product right now.

Good luck and thanks.

Jim