PDA

View Full Version : Possible web site improvements

Theaterworks
01-25-2005, 03:24 PM
I like the look, and am very happy this site is back up and running. However, I would ask that the word "Bullshit" gets changed on the forums main page. The word does not offend me, but it does not lend itself to a professional look & feel. If we attract consumer/client traffic to the non-verified sections of the site they will wonder about that.... :-)

sirroundsound
01-25-2005, 05:42 PM
In the forum section it was suggested to have "ask a pro" I think "find a pro" could be a useful feature of this web site. After awhile there will be a few hundred people registered, those of us that are in the business and continue to contribute to the forums and this site could be part of a search engine. Someone looking for a pro in their area, or close enough, should be able to search our data base and find us, our company and web site etc.. It's great that we can help each other out and the handful of DIY'ers that find their way here, it would be even better if we also managed over time to get a couple of leads. I am sure that any new business generated from this web site, should result in a small donation to help the cause. The photo gallery and any articles that get written will be a big help to drawing in the general public, they need to be updated regulary.

Thats all I can think of for now.

P

Brijaws
01-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I was waiting to see who would say something about the "bullshit" first.

The8thst
01-26-2005, 09:00 AM
Two suggestions....

Change the Distributed Audio to Distributed Audio and Video, or just anything distributed throughout the house.

Second... how about adding the quick reply feature so you can just type a reply at the bottom of the page instead of the full-blown reply window.

Also, I sense a number of accidental topics might be created by having the "new topic" button and "reply" button directly next to eachother at the bottom of every thread.

LarryFine
01-26-2005, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see a "go to first new post" button, and I think the "preview" and "submit" buttons should be reversed. I've hit "preview" by mistake almost every time.

Damn, I just did it again! :oops:

Brijaws
01-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, honestly guys those are features that I really have limited control over. I definitely don't have time to try recoding the forums.

Hopefully you will get used to what we have, and it will be enough to communicate with each other until I find some improvements..

LarryFine
01-26-2005, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see a "go to first new post" button,...Never mind, I just found it; it's the little 'page' icon on the far right. :oops:

Ghost
01-27-2005, 01:52 AM
The Top part seems fine (other than the 'Bullshit' name :mrgreen: , and somebody misspelled professioanl under ask a professional)

The middle section: Industry Forums
'Home Theater' to just 'Components' to cover individual and/or dedicated equipment.
I agree, the 'Distributed Audio' should be 'Distributed Audio/Video' to cover distributed systems.
Then we could add 'Control systems' which would cover all (Crestron, AMX, Control 4 (if it ever happens 8O ), HTM, RTI, Pronto, Elan, ect...)
Then add 'Lighting & Automation' to cover different home automation products.
'Misc Parts & Materials' is perfect the way it is.
This would cover all areas in just 4 forums

The Bottom section 'Verified Professionals', 'Verified Members', ect... could be just 2 forums =
'General Topics' or whatever, for discussing general BS.
And 'Business' or whatever, for discussing vendor/manufacture issues, ect...

My .02 cents

Brijaws
01-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Done.

For the most part.

The8thst
01-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Sweet... its nice making little changes like that.

Now if only I could see the verified section........ :D

Ghost
01-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Is there a verified section again yet????

Hey Brian.... am I verified again???

PHSJason
01-28-2005, 12:53 PM
I second the motion for the verified section again. If I can help in any way let me know.

Jason

flcusat
01-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Yes, we definitely need the verified section.

The8thst
01-28-2005, 08:07 PM
yes, yes we do

Brijaws
02-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Whatelese guys.... Have i not addressed every post so far?

LarryFine
02-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Whatelese guys.... Have i not addressed every post so far?What about the $100 referral bonus? :D

just_program
02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
How about adding, in the verified section, a couple of different forums sections for programming/programmers. Like the Crestron, AMX, Everything else sections we had before. I love the new look btw.

How are the ranks set up? Can we get a rank for those of us that have been here since the beginning?

sirroundsound
02-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Yea, the ranks... just a little ego thing but some of us have been around your site for along time, going back to being a newby isn't any fun.

tomciara
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
At the bottom of the forums page there is a jump to button that doesn't seem to work. Try to jump to another forum and it changes pages and says, "Sorry, this module is not active".

LarryFine
02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
"Sorry, this module is not active".Maybe it's an X-10 response. :)

OEX
02-02-2005, 09:32 PM
How about a photo gallery of some other companies work we have fixed. I have a few you wouldn't believe. An obvious winner for the "Worst of Show" in the $50k catagory. Wire nuts to level the equipment and everything.

Brijaws
02-03-2005, 06:15 AM
lol. That would be a funny photo - You can probably upload to the gallery - than post and image and link in the forum...

Brijaws
02-04-2005, 06:33 AM
WHats going on with "New Submissions" ??? Were are all the creative minds???

Brijaws
02-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Okay, guys what are the topics we require around here to get things to expand a bit?

Also, new members have been dwindleing down to 2 or 3 a day. Support our site and spread the word.

Theaterworks
02-19-2005, 06:32 AM
A place to post files would be nice. Given that this is a verified trade-only site, our ability to leave files for others to use (one in verified only, one in general access) would be very useful, and others have asked for it too.

Another thing you can do is ask members here to put something like "www.integrationpros.com verified member" in their tag lines for posting on Remote Central, AVS, etc.

OEX
02-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Another thing you can do is ask members here to put something like "www.integrationpros.com verified member" in their tag lines for posting on Remote Central, AVS, etc.

Yeah but make it alot shorter.

A file swap section would be very cool. Kinda like the CEDIA idea bank.

How about a section titled "The Women of IP" We could all use a few naked hotties on the site.

sirroundsound
02-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Somewhere, maybe not this thread, someone mentioned being able to upload and share files. Something missing on RC that we could do well here, i/r files for various remotes, with decretes, but only for the model selected. One thing I am going to start working on for my own use, creating a data base for the products I use, enabling me to "merge" each product into a client file. Although RC has a terrific selection of files, I have found, a number of times, I get a file that has a product I'm looking for, and all the buttons were not learned, plus I have to download alot of other items and page layouts I don't need. At the moment I just use previous client files and often end up having to merge a few together before I get the right combination, then go in and delete all the extras that aren't needed. (We pretty much use the same buttons for all our pronto / marantz remotes) Of course, like many clients, we also end up with the odd client owned piece of equipment, and they can't find the remote anymore. Same thing for new pieces, a new sat receiver or dvd comes out, it would be great to be able to upload a file with all buttons, including descretes ready to go, without uploading someones complete system file.. This way I really can get the remote done before I go to site, and only have to spend a very minimal amount of time adjusting things.
Just a thought..

AHEM
02-20-2005, 04:10 PM
I like the file sharing idea too.

I'm not sure what we'd share, but I like the idea.

Theaterworks
02-21-2005, 07:03 AM
I have a number of proposal utilities and spreadsheets that work for me that I would be happy to share. Serial drivers are something a number of people ask for. IR files are dominated by RC, but there's a reason to post them here in the verified area as well. My imagination is poor on stuff like this, so I'm sure there's more that could be posted that would be of value to many of the members.

vwpower44
02-21-2005, 12:09 PM
I have wiring chats, location charts, Installer wiring and location charts, Service agreemnt contracts, customer supplied equipment contracts, proposals, equipment list, and a bunch of other documents and spreadsheets that I would be willing to post. I think the idea of a file posting would be great.

Mike

Brijaws
02-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Okay guys, i get the point. I do not think i can generate a simple to us "UPLOAD" program (similar to the gallery would be nice). I will look into it. I know i can creat a FTP server for files, than have them linked to the downloads section.

AHEM
02-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Come to think of it, I have a few home made Visio stencils that I'd be happy to share (for all of the non D-Tools or Netzoom subscriber.)

A file sharing area would be a really great idea.

avophile
05-14-2005, 01:25 AM
Has the file share feature been worked on? i can't seem to get the gallery to work. Is there a downloads section somewhere I'm not finding?

avophile
05-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Nevermind- I found the gallery errors post.

HiFiGuy36
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
PHP-nuke should have a downloads section built in. You would just need to activate and configure it through you admin panel. There are also some other add-ons that would help with download permissions at NukeCops (www.nukecops.com).