PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Distribution

Shadowman68
02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Anyone have a viable solution for distributing HDTV, Multiroom multizone?
The customer likes Russound, big on the Uno S2 keypad. Would use the CAV6.6 but alas, composite only. Im trying to sell him on the Elan S12 but he isnt to impressed with the price. Looking for a cheaper alternative. A-la CAM6.6t and ??? (key digital???) 4 source 4 zone (4 identical plasmas) one zone will the the office, he would like to use the display as a second computer monitor as well.

thanks

Brijaws
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
We are doing it with Crestron PVIDS and RMC Room Kits.

Kinda pricey thou.

Fastfred
02-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Cam with key kd 8 x 6 switcher would work like ringing a bell.

Customer would use remote controls for the video part of the equation, and when selecting the video source through the key also select the audio source through the cam (two steps for every input).

Shadowman68
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
So whats the deal with Russound. They bought Intellinet Controls a couple of years ago, and we havent seen a touch screen from them yet. Has anyone heard any rumors or facts? I was told, at the CES show in Vegas they had a remote control similar to the Pronto.

Shadowman68
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Alas, Im not authorized to sell Crestron, the powers that be have decided that my market is just not large enough or lucrative enough to move into. But they might reconsider in 6 months or so.

CJ
02-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Elan S6 and a few Z880's?

CJ

Shadowman68
02-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I love the Elan product line, Have done a few jobs with it. Works very nicely. I sure wish they would update the keypads though. Maybe put together a package or two with options to upgrade.
I think Im going to recommend a S12 with a 1650.
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I go about distributing a video signal from his PC so he can use his Plasma in his office as a secondary monitor. Does he need to upgrade the video card in his computer to dual video? How do you guys do this?

Kelly
02-05-2005, 12:49 PM
So whats the deal with Russound. They bought Intellinet Controls a couple of years ago, and we havent seen a touch screen from them yet. Has anyone heard any rumors or facts? I was told, at the CES show in Vegas they had a remote control similar to the Pronto.

Russound had a small private gathering on Saturday night at CES where they had a couple of prototypes. One was a touch screen keypad. Supposedly to be released later this year.

Funny.....My request for "midway" sized decora wall plates for the UNO S2 was seemingly not understood at all.

Do most manufacturers not know that wall plates are made in DIFFERENT sizes?

Me....Still out here making my very own double gang Decora plates.....lol

Shadowman68
02-07-2005, 12:37 PM
[quote="Fastfred"]Cam with key kd 8 x 6 switcher would work like ringing a bell.

Fast fred, Have you done a system like this before? Do Key deal with distributors or direct?

Fastfred
02-07-2005, 02:05 PM
In the US, Key deals with at least one distributor that I know of (the company I work for....).

mr2channel
02-07-2005, 09:18 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but how do I go about distributing a video signal from his PC so he can use his Plasma in his office as a secondary monitor. Does he need to upgrade the video card in his computer to dual video? How do you guys do this?

no question is dumb if you don't know the answer, and I usually have alot of quesitons :D , anyway, all you will need is a VGA cable to go to the plasma, that is as long as the plasma has a VGA input, which I would assume that it does. if it is a desktop and you only have one VGA out to the monitor, I have used a VGA splitter in the past and it worked well. I would assume though that at some point signal loss could become an issue and a standard VGA splitter may not work, and then a buffered VGA switch may be necessary.

Shadowman68
02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Would installing a new video card with tv out or dual display make this any better? when using a VGA splitter, is there any noticeable signal loss?

RobbieS
02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Depending on the length you may be able to get away with just a splitter. You may have to use a distribution amplifier.

If customer upgrades to a video card that supports dual monitors then you can do a lot of really neat things. Such as have 1 program running on one monitor and a second program running on the plasma.

Shadowman68
02-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Ive always wondered how they do a wall of televisions with a single picture uniformly displayed on all the tv's. Anyone done a commercial display like that?

Shadowman68
02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I didnt wire the house, (unfortunately) I was brought in after the other installer had pissed away all the home owners money. Any way... this guy ran a pair of cat5e from the floor plate to the wall were the plasma will be located. Total distance about 20ft. Im not sure if I can make it work with the cat5e. Any thoughts?

Jerry
02-10-2005, 11:04 PM
I can't remember who, but someone is making baluns for HD. It will get you closer.

The8thst
02-11-2005, 07:43 AM
I would add a vid card that is capable of dual monitor because the splitter route would limit the user to only being able to have the same picture on both screens... the second output would also let you select an appropriate resolution for the plasma instead of using the same res as the monitor.

Then I would take the VGA output of the second vid card and use http://www.etslan.com/aud_vid.php scroll down to the bottom. Use a pair of these to send the VGA signal down the two cat5's you have already in place.

It should work out nicely.

Shadowman68
02-11-2005, 10:59 AM
That looks like it should work out perfectly. TVM.

ejfiii
02-11-2005, 05:26 PM
If you can convert the VGA output to composite, you could use any video balun to send the signal over the cat5 cable. I use this company's stuff, its just fantastic:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/multi_room.htm

I also think someone makes a VGA video balun system too, but can't remember where I saw it? Maybe Calrad?

Edit: Yup Calrad part #40-806A VGA to Component converter then the Audio Control component video balun at each end to use the cat5 cable. Hell, get the BVH-20 from Audio COntrol and use Cat5 for all your component video runs. Makes distributing HD around a house a piece of cake. No reason to pull RBG coax or three pieces of RG6 through a house anymore. Can you tell I love that stuff?

Anonymous
09-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I love the Elan product line, Have done a few jobs with it. Works very nicely. I sure wish they would update the keypads though. Maybe put together a package or two with options to upgrade.
I think Im going to recommend a S12 with a 1650.

Just a quick note for ya, Audio Authority makes a RGB to component box for about 100 bux on ebay, works great with the Elan s12. The S6 however has no video distribution, you would have to add and 880 (which does not pass the best versions of HD (least that was what I was told recently)) The s12 can do 5 in 5 out, and have 1 single spare (which is pretty useless at that point)

Hope this helps
Brandon

fletch999
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
The problem with the S12 is that it does not not transcode different video signals. If the source is composite in (like say cameras, SD cable/sat etc) those will only output to composite. If the In put is component, only component output.

In a current situation, I need to distribute 2 component sources, 4 composite sources to 4 plasmas (HD) and several SD TVs via composite. So with the S12, I must use 12 of the video outs for my component, but that will only leave 4 composites. I must run compsite to each plasma as well as the component to get all the sources. Ther go all my outputs and no0 other TVs.

An Elan "solution" is to use the S12 for all the composite switching and then 3 Z880s for an 8x8 Component Vid matrix. Works well but pricey. I suppose you could use the S12 for the 5x5 component matris and a single Z880 for 8x8 composite. Hey that night work!!

Any way, the point is that we still need different types of signals to each set, and this is a pain in the ass.

Even a high $$ extron or Key or autopatch matrix only does one type of video signal doesn't it?

Late_Night_Bill
11-19-2005, 03:51 AM
I've told a few of you about this previously at CEDIA, but the Neothings Avalon matrix is finally ready to go. 6x2 or 8x4 component video and digital audio. A possible alternative to the other brands mentioned.
I can entertain any other questions about it here.

Late_Night_Bill
11-19-2005, 03:53 AM
I've told a few of you about this previously at CEDIA, but the Neothings Avalon matrix is finally ready to go. 6x2 or 8x4 component video and digital audio. A possible alternative to the other brands mentioned.
I can entertain any other questions about it here.

netarc
12-08-2005, 01:26 AM
We've recently done a CAV6.6 setup with distributed HDTV (via component) using the video-storm.com gear - very simple, worked like a charm ... and the HDTV distribution box is not an arm & a leg!

rockout
01-09-2006, 07:30 AM
Use Baluns with the CAT5 to send balanced video. Look into Audio Control... they make a nice 1X4 Balanced component DA.

triz
02-04-2006, 03:44 PM
If you only got a Cat5 use Catlincs from SP Controls and a small switcher. You'll still have to figure out Audio.

http://spcontrols.com/prodcat.php?hierId=20

avophile
02-12-2006, 11:20 AM
The only way to be certain of receiving a high-def signal...will be to have either HDMI or HDCP-compliant DVI inputs on your tv set.

The other interesting article in Widescreen Review this month describes the impact of the AACS Consortium's (http://www.aacsla.com/what/overview) agreement to require all licensed hardware and software to respond to the Image Constraint Token (ICT), a digital flag that will allow content-controllers to force high definition content to be down-rezzed to 540p on the analog component outputs of licenced equipment.

The upshot is that all these really cool HDTV-capable component matrix switchers will not be fed high def from the component outputs of equipment playing back content with the ICT flag turned on.