PDA

View Full Version : Dwin & Cat5

sirroundsound
06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Have a client that had a Dwin transvision 2 installed about 2 years ago. It's in a lift. Recently the projector stopped working. We went out and checked, the control line wasn't working. The original installation company ran a 5 mini coax cable with BNC ends crimped on, and a cat5 to control the lift from.
I cannot run any new wires, and we have determined that the white mini coax is damaged somewhere that we can't see. The Dwin doesn't work without all 5 connections (even though it may not actually be using all 5)
I have left a message for Tech support, but they are not fast in getting back.
Does anybody here know If I could take a BNC to VGA break out cable and go to a VGA Balun, use the Cat5 that is going to the lift/projector location, and from another VGA Balun use another break out cable to plug it in. I can always use the old mini cable and get the lift control from it.

PAAI
06-22-2005, 04:17 PM
If you can get a hold of a time domain reflectometer, you can determine how far away the break is a and crimp new rca connectors on each end and add a barrel splice. Just a thought.

Good luck SS 8)

sirroundsound
06-22-2005, 04:24 PM
The break is going to be either up in the lift (my first guess) or in the ceiling, which has a floor above it so no access, thus no way to repair, without trying to remove the whole assembly, which we didn't install, and could add even more issues.

PAAI
06-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I would also guess that it broke at a stress point in the lift where the cable may bend. I would think you could reach to the top of the lift, where no bending has taken place and take a chance, cut and splice there with a new white cable.
If nothing else, you would be able to at least test it from that point to the source to what the issue is. Good luck.

sirroundsound
06-23-2005, 09:07 PM
Ahhh, if life were so easy....
From what I have been able to see, and feel, there is no way of accessing above the projector mounting plate to even see the cable past that point. I am sure you are right, somewhere up there the cable has been stressed from the raising and lowering of the lift. It would not suprise me at all, the company that did the original installation did alot of things "not by the book"