PDA

View Full Version : OnQ intercom

Greg_C
12-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Did a quick search, and can't find anything on OnQ intercoms, either good or bad. I'm looking for the cat-5 based units that use decora type controls.

SBSmarthomes
12-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Greg,

I've done 3-4 jobs with the On-Q (formerly Greyfox) intercoms.

They're alright, but the sound quality is pretty bad and the keypad quality (fit/finish/feel) is only so-so.

I had a couple DOA keyapds, and I think 2-3 keypad failures over a copule years, so reliability was also not the best in my experience.

I'm using the Russound Compoint intercom now for most jobs and it's leaps ahead in quality, function and sound quality, but it's also 2-3 times the price.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the On-Q.

Cheers,
Paul

AHEM
12-01-2007, 02:17 PM
I did one and had no issues with QC or fit & finish.

One thing to remember is that the master needs to have two cat 5's pulled to it.

SBSmarthomes
12-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I did one and had no issues with QC or fit & finish.

I guess at the time, I didn't have such a concern with fit and finish either, but I never liked the way they sounded.

After using the Russound stuff, it's much, much nicer...

Theaterworks
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I am not enough of a connisuer to tell you if the intercom sounded good or not. (It is an intercom, after all....)

They go in well, and are a great alternative to the huge plastic planks that M&S, etc. market. Some service problems, not a ton. I've done maybe a dozen, and we've made money doing them.

Greg_C
12-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Usually we will do the intercom thru the phones, but this client does not want phones in the kids rooms, and does not want to integrate them into the whole house Elan system. I'm trying to avoid the wall acne of an M&S type system.

tschulte
12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Greg, if you are doing DA, then use the Russound ComPoint. You can do a station in a single gang box because you will use the DA speakers to broadcast. If not, then you go with the OnQ. We have done about 2 dozen OnQs with only minor problems. We have done 1 ComPoint, and have another pre-wired.

I agree with Owen on the sound quality, it is an intercom what do you expect?