PDA

View Full Version : My portable theater room...

RobbieS
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/800x600_DSCF0031.JPG (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/800x600_DSCF0032.JPG (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/800x600_DSCF0027.JPG (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

Some of you may remember that I was looking for a portable room for trade shows and events. I never found one so I built one. Currently it is 12' wide and 16' deep. I built the sections in 4x9 and they bolt together at the top and bottom. Then install drop ceiling and baseboard to hide the bolts. Still working on it but we can set it up in less than a day. We even put a fiber optic ceiling in it.

Matt
07-24-2005, 11:00 PM
PSB's, Infocus 7205? or 10, Via valet. Are those fortress chairs?
By the way I really like the PSB's
Were dumping Infocus though, I could flame for miles about them.
Bad spot for the door. Otherwise looks great for a breakdown.

RobbieS
07-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Yes PSB speakers and Via Valet. Infocus 7210. Was supposed to be a Sim2 Domino 30 but it didn't show up in time. The chairs are acoustic innovations. We are dealers and that is our chair selling station. There was no good spot for the door. I plan on making 2 more panels to get the room to 20 foot in length so I can move the door a little farther down the wall. We can make the door swing either in or out but at that particular show they told us the door had to swing in. They didn't want someone to get plowed by the door as they were coming down the isle.

avophile
07-24-2005, 11:11 PM
To quote Paris Hilton, "That's hot!"

I feel like I'm letting my family down not going to such lengths to get work!

How's the response been? Do you actually let anybody in to check it out, like the guy in the orange tee with the tat'? (or is that one of your guys?) It kinda sux that they're all checking out the fish tank display next door....

What's playing on the demo flat panel out front?

Very impressed.

RobbieS
07-24-2005, 11:19 PM
To quote Paris Hilton, "That's hot!"

I feel like I'm letting my family down not going to such lengths to get work!

How's the response been? Do you actually let anybody in to check it out, like the guy in the orange tee with the tat'? (or is that one of your guys?) It kinda sux that they're all checking out the fish tank display next door....

What's playing on the demo flat panel out front?

Very impressed.

That was a friend of mine. The girl in the blue is my wife. They were there before the show started. The large lady was the fish tank owner. We were actually there with them and 2 other companies as well. We had a ton of people in and out of our booth every minute of the show. We were in a city that we currently don't do a lot of work in but that has changed. The flat panel is a Fujitsu 42" display theater rooms we have done as well as a bunch of theater rooms from the acoustic innovations lineup. It was amazing to just sit and watch people go "unbelievable". They completely cleaned us out of every piece of literature we had.

Matt
07-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Change the door to outside swing or someone carrying a bag or whatever is going into a driver, better them than those psb's.
We have received 2 7210's and have problems with both. Considering these are also the first two things we ordered, I am not happy.

Matt
07-24-2005, 11:20 PM
In case I forgot to say it, looks great. :D

avophile
07-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Great work.... please don't tell your buddy I said that!

Have you got the head end in a rolling rack or something to plug and play?

One of my favorite tricks is using the Audio Control BLDs and BLRs to connect a portable rack into a PA system over CAT 5. I have a sports bar where they like to have a DJ come in for various parties in different parts of the club. I have ethernet jacks in 5 or 6 spots where they might want to put the DJ. The rack rolls into place, plug in power, plug in CAT 5 from the BLD to a wall plate, and the system drives a BLR by an amp rack down in the basement, with a rudimentary patching system to set up audio zones.

I never tried their stuff for video but it could make set-up real smooth.

RobbieS
07-25-2005, 07:03 AM
There is a raxxess Economy rack on wheels back beside the fishtank. We thought about putting the rack in the wall but we wanted to keep as much heat out of the room as possible. No AC in it yet. Maybe someday. We put a patch panel on the back of it so that all we had to do was "plug it in" so to speak.

ejfiii
07-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Looks great.

Doesn't AI have traveling theater rooms you can rent for shows? I thought my rep (we are not clients) mentioned that to me once.

RobbieS
07-25-2005, 07:07 PM
ejfiii.

Yes AI does have a room that I can use for free. I have to pay freight though. They quoted me $4000 freight to get it to me and then back to them. I thought that was a little (LOT) high.

Brad.

You are correct. They were more for aesthetics. Because of warped 2x4's some of my wall seams were ugly. We wanted to hide them at eye level. We did weatherstrip the door so that when we closed it we kept out the outside noise and most of the light. The room really was very dark inside.
The pics were taken with a flash.

sharrison
08-13-2005, 02:38 PM
First how difficult is it for you to tear down and set it up. IT LOOKS AWESOME! By far the best set up I've seen. Also what's a ballpark figure on the cost of building it.

2nd Fortunetellar
Were dumping Infocus though, I could flame for miles about them.

Could you or anyone else tell me the problems you have ran into with the Infocus 7205. I've got one spec'ed for a job coming up.

P.S. Sorry not trying to highjack you thread.

Thanks,
Shawn

OEX
08-13-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm not sure I like it. Please bring to my house and set it up. I'll return in a year or 2 after extensive evaluation.

OEX
08-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure I like it.

Just kiddin!

Please bring to my house and set it up. I'll return in a year or 2 after extensive evaluation.

Not kiddin!!

RobbieS
08-13-2005, 08:52 PM
First how difficult is it for you to tear down and set it up. IT LOOKS AWESOME! By far the best set up I've seen. Also what's a ballpark figure on the cost of building it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Materials & Construction Labor I have about $2000 tied up in it. This one I built with wood studs. I may rebuild with metal studs so that I can get the walls more square.

Setup for 2 guys can be done in about 8 to 10 hours if they know how it goes together. Teardown takes about 4 to 5 if you want to reuse it.

RobbieS
08-13-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure I like it.

Just kiddin!

Please bring to my house and set it up. I'll return in a year or 2 after extensive evaluation.

Not kiddin!!

No problem, You have to pay shipping both ways along with our modest lease fee. Would you like us to fly 2 installers up for installation or you want to tackle it yourself???

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Darren
01-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Robbie,

Very nice. I was considering doing the same.

What show venue was it exactly? Home and Garden, etc?

Also, you mention the literature was absorbed quickly by the visitors, but how many actual jobs resulted from the show?

Squintz
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
It looks like you have gone with 2X4 wall frames. That seems to me like it would be very heavy. Is that what it is using? are you using drywall for the interior or is it something less breakable? Have you considered using something like large cubicle deviders? Other than the fact that it may be hard to setup or transport it looks great and probably serves its purpose well.

What show was this?

I noticed that this site has a thread for training. Would it be possible to get a thread for shows that we may be interested in participating in?