PDA

View Full Version : The Top 10 Lies Told to Retailers

AHEM
07-28-2005, 01:10 AM
I remember seeing an article by this name year and years ago in a trade magazine. Does anyone remember it?

In any regard, I can only recall one of them.

"This piece is actually not being built by us, but it's being built to our strict specifications"

What are the other blatent lines of BS that you've been fed by various members of the upper industry food chain?

Theaterworks
07-28-2005, 06:22 AM
How about "I know I just put on that other big retailer in town, but they sell at list; it's a rule at that store. I monitor the invoices for the brand."

Kelly
07-28-2005, 08:17 AM
"You'll have the product on an exclusive basis". Until I can put on some other dealers......

"We're not putting on any additional dealers in your area" This is said just a month or so before "they" add on one of your competitors.....

AHEM
07-28-2005, 09:47 AM
How about "I know I just put on that other big retailer in town, but they sell at list; it's a rule at that store. I monitor the invoices for the brand."

Lol, that's hilarious and yes, I've heard that one too.

Gary
07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
My favorite is the ubiquitous "it will ship right after CEDIA".

tomciara
07-28-2005, 01:41 PM
After being the repair guy for nearly 30 years, we had our own.

We've seen a pile of the same model come in with the same symptom so we call the mfr and get, "Hmm, this is the first time we've heard of this problem."

OEX
07-28-2005, 07:35 PM
My favorite is the ubiquitous "it will ship right after CEDIA".

This is a lie? Ooooh, and I thought they were telling the truth.

I've been hearing a lot of that lately. Hmmmmmm.

Matt
07-28-2005, 07:59 PM
"We have a brand new take on the market and because we are so unique we are projecting a %30 market share in our first year, after that no one else will be able to compete. Sooo lets talk about that dealership now, its a $20,000.00 buy in and product should be out within the next few months, your gonna love it....."

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:13 PM
We've seen a pile of the same model come in with the same symptom so we call the mfr and get, "Hmm, this is the first time we've heard of this problem."

Lol. YES, YES! That's what I'm talking about.

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:14 PM
How about.......(after a company or product has completely failed.....

"We realize now that we were completely ahead of our time"

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:16 PM
"It's true that we've made the decision to go ahead and put on Best Buy and Circuit City, but (chuckles), don't worry, they're never going to have the really good stuff like YOU can sell."

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:17 PM
How can you spot a lie?

Watch out for anything that starts with "in order to better serve you....."

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Ohhh, just thought of another great one.

"It's true that everything is now being assembled in China, but they're actually our own factories, and it's being engineered right here."

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Here's one from the old retail days.....

"I guarantee that if you bring in our product and put it on your shelves next to Competitor B, that everyone who listens to them will choose our product."

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
"You should buy into this line because another retailer who's 90 miles away (and thus not your direct competition) has been moving through $50K a month with us, and now, we're all that they're selling."

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:29 PM
"Your installers will love this product, because it's really easy to install"

AHEM
07-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh and another thing. Will someome please alert the media that we don't care to be referred to as "you custom guys"?

Kelly
07-29-2005, 06:11 PM
It'll ship immediately.....(immediately after this time next month or two?).

This thing has a very stable platform.....(it won't fall out of the rack when it quits working?).

We have great product support......(unfortunately the phone lines will ALWAYS be busy!).

I used to be in custom installations myself....(I just wasn't good enough to make it, so now I do this).

:lol:

just_program
08-01-2005, 02:13 PM
"We are creating a new line of product aimed specifically at the custom market. We want to get your input on the product so that we can make it perfect for your needs. We vow to sell this line only to the CI guys, never on the internet and not in a chain store. So, what do we need to do to make this better?"

Six weeks later you see the product available everywhere but at CI shops.

Greg_C
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Discretes, of course it has discretes(turns to another rep, whats a discrete?)

AHEM
08-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Discretes, of course it has discretes(turns to another rep, whats a discrete?)

I'm not sure of EXACTLY what you're looking for, but I'm willing to bet that it has that feature. (takes notebook out of pocket).

I'm going to talk to Engineer X as soon as he gets free, but I've made a note to find out that information and call you with it.

Come to think of it, I'm sure that it will do that feature. We've had a lot of you custom guys who've really gotten onboard with the product and I haven't heard one single complaint about it.

Just so you know, we're running a killer deal right now where if you buy 10 of these, you get the 11th one at half price.

For new dealers, we're giving another 10 days terms on dating and you can get your demo system for half off.

Oh, you don't have a showroom?

That's ok. I can probably still get you the deal. If you want to give me an order now, I'll hang onto it until I'm sure that you can get the promo pricing.

So, what's your company name again?

Pilgrim
08-06-2005, 12:48 AM
You already sell 'brand xxx?'

AND I'M your rep?

Oh!?!?!

OEX
08-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Here's one for you. I'd love to copy it here but fear for retribution so I'll paraphrase.

We don't make it and it's a POS, but if you guys buy enough we'll have the money to make our own that actually works. Good Selling!

I had to laugh.

2ndRick
08-06-2005, 12:24 PM
This thread reminds me of some of the rep jokes I have heard over the years...

(dealer) "How many reps does it take to screw in a lightbulb??"

(rep) "I don't know that specific answer, but I will call my contact at the factory and get right back to you."

Ahhh... I love that one.

This is a gem that I heard from an old school rep (not from my old firm) regarding "loading" dealers to generate sell-through.
"If you put enough product in the back door, eventually it will find it's way out the front door."

AHEM
08-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Anyone ever heard this one before.............

"We call this product the 'Bose Killer'".

lol, yeah right.