PDA

View Full Version : Audio Server

Pax
08-03-2005, 05:53 PM
As some of you know I’ve been getting into large/better audio systems. I’m starting the search for the best audio server and wanted to know what everyone is using. Anything you recommend or should stay away from? Thanks for the help.

Gary
08-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Most of the guys on this board use either Request or Escient.

zapper
08-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Hello Pax

I would agree the "Escient line" I have always found these suitable. I have not worked with many others so I can not advise you on which not to use.
some of the other severs I have been able to work with are the,

Yamaha MCX-1000
and
Denon's NS-S100
120GB

Returning to Escient you can pick up a FB DVDM-300 or FB E2-300,160,or 40 GB server for an average price.

Hope this helps.

gmascherino
08-12-2005, 03:56 AM
I personally like Request a little more than Escient. They are both OK products. Unfortunately, there is no awesome audio server. I have had my fair share of audio servers die from both companies. Even so, I like them far better then Imerge, Control-4, or any others I have used. Audio servers seem to be the components with the highest failure rate (other than unnamed, cheap automation hardware :x ). The problem is they still use regular hard drives and they do die pretty often. To the best of my knowledge no one uses better quality drives like SCSI or 10,000 RPM SATA drives. That would decrease the failure rates. I guess my point is make sure you are ready to support them and always have a way to back up your client's audio files. I have had a couple of client's servers hard drives crash totally in a single year. It really sucks if you don't have a backup and they have to have their music reloaded twice.

vwpower44
08-17-2005, 04:45 PM
What are you using as a back up. I have a customer interest in the E2 fireball, but he is worried that the hard drive will go bad in a year.

Mike

flcusat
08-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Any piece of equipment with a hard drive should be in a UPS.