PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 5080HD quick review

sirroundsound
01-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I managed to get the Pioneer 5080.
Well worth the extra few bucks.
It's funny how we get so used to certain pieces of equipment that we often overlook or dismiss other gear.
Selling and installing Panasonic plasmas for years now has not been the wrong thing to do. They work great too, and have all the needed control functions and always get great reveiws for their picture and quality etc.
But this Pioneer has a lot going for it. SD sources look fantastic, and I can't wait till I get my antenna connected, then see HD channels I can get.
Even the sound from the speaker bar is worth a mention as very good for a TV speaker.
Tons of inputs 7 in total.
Infact the only negative I can find so far - RS232 port is (as is typical with Pioneer) only for service use. I think that on the Elite series the port works for control but would want to confirm that.
Anyway, love the set, glad I bought it.
Pat

MrDigitronic
01-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, I managed to get the Pioneer 5080.
Well worth the extra few bucks.
It's funny how we get so used to certain pieces of equipment that we often overlook or dismiss other gear.
Selling and installing Panasonic plasmas for years now has not been the wrong thing to do. They work great too, and have all the needed control functions and always get great reveiws for their picture and quality etc.
But this Pioneer has a lot going for it. SD sources look fantastic, and I can't wait till I get my antenna connected, then see HD channels I can get.
Even the sound from the speaker bar is worth a mention as very good for a TV speaker.
Tons of inputs 7 in total.
Infact the only negative I can find so far - RS232 port is (as is typical with Pioneer) only for service use. I think that on the Elite series the port works for control but would want to confirm that.
Anyway, love the set, glad I bought it.
Pat

I was going to install one for a client, but no serial control? Is that correct?

avophile
01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
The 5040 and 5070 had serial control, you just had to go through the Integrator Menu to make it work.

I would bet that the 5080 also is controllable via the "service only" port.

roddymcg
01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
You should have no problem controlling the Pioneer via rs-232

PAAI
01-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Just see Touchtobegin's post on the pioneer. You go to the integrator menu and make a change to set the baud rate, even if the rate is correct and back out. Now you can control the unit by serial. I am 3/4 of the way through a simpl+ module and what I have works fine.
The TV has an exceptionally fast tuner. This is most impressive, especially under serial control. To get to the Digital channels you need to enter the prefix then the "." and then the suffix and enter. This will take some time to fix my presets, which work under analog-to-serial control now.

Protocol here: http://integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5775&page=2

lonny
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
pioneer is out of the 42' in market, only 50 and 60 1080P modles are here to stay. The last of the 42's i was told was already shipped, i bought a bunch t hey also droped their price as well.
THis is a crazy market we are in here....

jwjames83
01-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Pat This is perhaps the easiest protocol I've dealt with. One of my all time favorites! Just put in a 5080, and like always - worked flawlessly.

I just wish you could send channel numbers to the analog tuner portion of it. I know you can say, "go to channel 33", etc., but you can't quite type in channel 3-3-enter and go to 33. I had to write a little buffering bit to achieve this, and then after 1.5 seconds, send it to the channel they entered.

sirroundsound
01-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the extra info. I am sure in the owners manual it claims the RS232 port is for service only, and my last experience with a Pioneer plasma was many years ago. It's good to know there is a work around. How do you get into the installers menu on the set? I don't need Rs232 for my system, just using a T2-C, for now. But I know I will be putting some of these into systems soon.

Pat

djnorm
01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it's:

With the power off, hit 'home menu', and then shortly thereafter press Power. It should power up with the integrator menu showing.

I have had it work out of the box with the last few I did, and it shouldn't need the integrator menu at all, but the anecdotal evidence points to needing it anyway.

Either way, good luck.

I'm looking at a PRO-950, only because they're going away (as Lonny said above).

Zach.H
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
What are rough dealer prices on the 4280 and 950? Someone can PM me if they would rather not share it here.

avophile
01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
What are rough dealer prices on the 4280 and 950? Someone can PM me if they would rather not share it here.

Please... this is still the public side!

Zach.H
01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I never even look at that. I just hit "New Posts" every few minutes, so I never even look to see what section it is in.

Zach.H
01-26-2008, 08:03 AM
pioneer is out of the 42' in market, only 50 and 60 1080P modles are here to stay. The last of the 42's i was told was already shipped, i bought a bunch t hey also droped their price as well.
THis is a crazy market we are in here....

Lonny,

Is this for the standard model, or just the Elites. After this thread, I talked to the Best Buy rep-no flames please-and he said the 42's won't go away until July, and they had plenty of stock of them. After July, they might not have any more, but I do have to consider my source as well.

djnorm
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
The next model they won't make anymore 42's, but they still have plenty of the current ones... That's what I heard.

Zach.H
01-26-2008, 10:49 PM
That makes sense.

On another semi-off topic note, I found out that the commercial line will not be updated to fall in line with this year's Kuros. They are going to skip a generation, then pick up with the next Kuro line.

roddymcg
01-26-2008, 11:11 PM
The next model they won't make anymore 42's, but they still have plenty of the current ones... That's what I heard.

If I have heard correctly it will have a Sharp badge on it...

Snap??