PDA

View Full Version : MS outlook help! PLEASE!

lonny
08-10-2005, 10:43 PM
WE got all new comps for the office and house... I started to do all the sending of docs pics ect.. the one pain in the ass is this dam Outlook. I can't figure out how to get my contacts and emails from the old to the new.
Someone has to have a solution to this problem. Please help!

Lonny

Gary
08-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Your best bet is to use software that transfers all your programs and document to the new PC. I use Aloha Bob.

http://www.alohabob.com/products/pc_relocator/

or...

Outlook stores all that stuff in a .pst file. Do a search for *.pst and you should find your Outlook data.

ATOH
08-10-2005, 11:09 PM
File-Import and Export-Export to a file-Personal Folder File (.pst) then select the folders you want to export. If you want to export everything then make sure to check mark the "Include subfolders" box.

Kelly
08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Why do we love computers so much.....

My most recent purchase, a HP notebook with XP home, I can't seem to get on the office network (all on 2000pro).

Yet it will sniff out the neighbors wireless router when at home.... :lol:

ejfiii
08-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Its easy.

Open Outlook

File Menu / Import and Export

Export to a file

PST File

Most likely then Personal Folders in the folder list (should include your whole current active file) and make sure include subfolders is checked.

Browse to a location to put the file

Then Finish.

That will be a pretty big file. Just remember where you put it.

On the new compactor, just reverse the steps with the exception that you want to IMPORT from the file menu. Use the .pst file you just created as the import file.

If you have archive folders those are easy. If you do, I'll type more.

vette84
08-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Kelly, If you're running a domain at the office, XP home will never talk to it. Home was not designed to join a domain. You have to play some games to get it to work right.

You have to have the user account name that XP Home is using (which is not always the name you log in as - Your name may say "kelly", but the actual account name may be "owner") If you look under the Documents and Settings folder, you'll see what user accounts are actually on the machine.

If you have a domain server, add that user to it. If you don't have a server, you have to add that username to all the 2000 workstations.

You also have to make sure the workgroup name is right, and sometimes you have to run the network setup wizard again, and sometimes it involves a pint of blood and a dead chicken.

Kelly
08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
and sometimes it involves a pint of blood and a dead chicken.

Hell, I have feathers all over the damn place already..... :lol:

It's getting a bit scary going out to the hen house for the next "offering. I think the chickens are planning a coup de kelly.....

As it is, I'd just settle for getting the dang notebook to go online from behind the router. Networking with the office computers isn't really something that needs to be done.

You can gather that I do need to brush up on my IT abilities? If only the notebook was an MX3000...... :lol:

pcdude
08-25-2005, 12:16 AM
Sorry dude, but the best thing to do is install Novell Linux Desktop. To heck with MS. :twisted:

Well, if this is not an option, then upgrade to MS XP Pro. If you are running XP Home with SP2, make sure the upgrade is also SP2 or else you will have wasted $200 and have to buy the correct version of XP Pro with SP2.

On the LookOut issue, I mean Outlook, Put in the XP CD into your old computer and run the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard". You will select, this is the old computer. Save the output to other and save it to your desktop, or where ever you know it will be. When finished, burn it to a CD or copy it over to the new computer. Put the XP CD into the new computer and go through the wizard again and this time select "this is the new computer". The rest is easy.

I have used this several times and it actually works. Wow!! Shocker!!! You will also have all your desktop settings, wallpaper, files, etc...etc..etc... too as an added bonus.

Later,