PDA

View Full Version : Tivo/DTV split......

Kelly
08-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Another issue that's going to cause some problems.

DirecTV no longer going to support TIVO services. I gather that DTV will be coming out with ther own PVR, or making a connection with that other TIVO like company.....

Anyone else wonder how this is going to play with our customers?

Clients TIVO will no longer work? Client will get a bill from TIVO? A new device will need to be prgrammed into the system?

Just one more headache.... :evil:

mr2channel
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAT I just installed 2 HD DTV TIVO's this week... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

gmascherino
08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
I just recently did some footwork on this subject and the word I got is that DirecTV will continue to support existing receivers and services, including Tivo. I was assured that customers that currently have Tivo service can continue to use their existing receivers and service. Of course, I don't work for DirecTV so don't be too mad at me if I am wrong.

Kelly
08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
I just recently did some footwork on this subject and the word I got is that DirecTV will continue to support existing receivers and services, including Tivo. I was assured that customers that currently have Tivo service can continue to use their existing receivers and service. Of course, I don't work for DirecTV so don't be too mad at me if I am wrong.

Forgive me if I'm not assured by any assurances offered up by DTV.....

roddymcg
08-12-2005, 06:51 PM
What about when Direct changes the video to MPEG 4, are all the STB boxes going to need to be changed?? And who will we have to fight with when a Direct Installer swaps out boxes and the system does not work because he thinks it "wired" wrong and needs to make a few changes.

I hope I am over analyzing this and things go smooth, let us pray!

n_stallr
08-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Explains why our local WalMart is selling DTV Tivo receivers.........

whdigital
08-13-2005, 01:50 PM
At the risk of getting the virtual stoning in the town square here, I must say that this is just another reason I have started putting my customers on Comcast with their HD PVR. EVERY network in HD, 2 tuners, season-pass like recording option, relatively quick guide, and only $10/month extra with no box to buy that I can't make margin on anyway and no failure rate problems that are a direct reflection on my company...

Comcast has also have invested in TiVo, Inc. and will be offering a download to the box in about 6 months that will be TiVo's actual software. Never thought I would hear myself say it, but "bye, bye DirectTV."