PDA

View Full Version : Netstreams DigiLinx

OEX
08-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Thoughts

AHEM
08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Nice, but readily available to as they say......."anyone with a pulse and a credit card"

ejfiii
08-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Kevin, I've been a Digilinx dealer and cheerleader since they started. Its a great music system. Only problem is that its expensive - close to Crestron money once you add all the parts up. But no programming obviously. Doesn't play loud enough for critical listening (as Alan loves to point out), but it is great for distributed audio.

If you have a client who can/wants to afford it, I would recommend it hands down. Just make sure you partner a Request music server and Polk XM tuner with it.

If you have more specific questions, you know how to reach me.

And it may be sold by AVAD, but who cares. Its way more advanced than 95% of their slammin' dealers and you have to go through class AND buy a demo system before they'll let you sell it.

OEX
08-18-2005, 01:31 PM
they came by my place yesterday and I was quite impressed. They have a larger amp available too. Any reliability issues? Reboots, etc? I'm probably going to put it in my house, I liked it that much. EJ Does it have a Sirius tuner in its database? I forgot ask.

ejfiii
08-18-2005, 01:39 PM
No sirius tuner as a direct component with two way comms. If you could stand to use IR you could use a medialinx with any sirius tuner. Was it Michael Stuart or the Key guys who visited you?

Oh, and reliability has been fine. No reboots needed here. But remember that the music server isnt a netstreams product.

OEX
08-18-2005, 01:41 PM
yep -

EJ - Don't you work or do you just sit in front of the PC?? Just kiddin'. Doing billing myself. The ugly part of the job

ejfiii
08-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Just getting caught up from my Salt Lake Sity trip - got back last night at 1am. Lots of paperwork to do - its amazing how quickly it adds up.

AudibleSolutions
08-20-2005, 11:54 PM
[quote="ejfiii"] Doesn't play loud enough for critical listening (as Alan loves to point out), but it is great for distributed audio.
quote]

Actually QQQ made this point when all I did was rave about Netstreams. I thought it a fair, if unimportant, criticism so I include this negative when ever I am singing the praises of this system. EJ summed up the negatives (price and system volume) as well as its posatives ( really nice GUI that requires no programming and it is simple and inexpensive to wire. ) Only trick is that the stupid switch on the touch panel cannot be used as a distribution point.

The AVID issue is less important as, in fact, no one can just walk in and purchase a system. You need to be qualified by the dumb-dumbs at AVID and then pass a test ( on line, so no travel --at least I did) to get the line. Given its price I doubt many alarm and satellite guys who think AV will be the ticket to keep them alive will be picking up this line.

Alan

AHEM
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
The AVID issue is less important as, in fact, no one can just walk in and purchase a system. You need to be qualified by the dumb-dumbs at AVID and then pass a test ( on line, so no travel --at least I did) to get the line. Given its price I doubt many alarm and satellite guys who think AV will be the ticket to keep them alive will be picking up this line.

Alan

I apologize, I misread the topic and was thinking Musica.

I took a look at Digilinx a couple months back and ultimately decided that it was a cool, but a tad pricey for my market.

AudibleSolutions
08-21-2005, 12:30 AM
I took a look at Digilinx a couple months back and ultimately decided that it was a cool, but a tad pricey for my market.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. It is pricey hereabouts too and I am a wondering if that may not cause Netsteams some issues in the long run. Then again, they may know something about the way music and video will be delivered in 2-3 years that we do not and that may change the cost benefit analysis but while I like the product I agree that it is too expensive for what it is: a high end distributed music system in an age that does not prize high end music systems.

Alan

ejfiii
08-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Alan, what do you mean about the switch on the touchscreen? It can power and connect a speakerlinx.

I guess I do recall it was QQQ who made that first claim and you and I agree that its a moot point as any distributed music system is really only for background music anyway. Certainly not for critical listening.

Will be interesting to see/hear the 50wpc digital speakerlinx amp at CEDIA. But alas, the price is still not where it needs to be. I think video over IP is the future, but not the near future.

Beau
08-26-2005, 11:39 PM
The only reason you should install DigiLinx is if you are a not a Crestron dealer. It is the only thing that will give a wow factor like Crestron...but at it's current price point...it is MORE expensive than Crestron and the "no programming" thing is simply not the case. The wizard does not work. It will not setup youir system using the wizard alone. It is only a starting point. In a large system, if you don't have any DOA pieces, count on spending hours and hours trying to get the thing working properly...also make sure you are doing it during tech support hours which is in Texas.