PDA

View Full Version : Line noise & electronic dimmers

OEX
02-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Oh Larry,

I am seeking your infinite electrical wisdom. Here's my situation. I my personal home I have Leviton MicroDim dimmers. You know, the kind that can dim from multiple locations. Anyway, when I first installed them 3 years ago, they all worked fine all the time EXCEPT when the primaries coming into the island slapped together in strong winds. This would turn on 120+ LV recessed at 3AM. Well, Leviton told me the originals were subject to this and the new ones had a diode in them to elminate this. Well, I changed all the dimmers in the house and had problems again. I switched them all out a third time and they still don't work right. Now, sometimes the three/four ways don't work. But here's the wierdness. When 1 doesn't work, none in the house work. When 1 does work, they all work. It would seem that some type of noise is present on the electrical lines. I have turned off all breakers but 1 and it still does it. Any thoughts? I think the noise may be coming from outside the house. I do have Levition noise/amplifier/bridge in the panel. My X-10 oonly worked after putting all devices on the same phase. What a PIA but thats what it takes to make it work.

Any thoughts or does this shack simply have some bad mojo?

LarryFine
02-09-2005, 07:39 AM
Aha, now I see why you asked about me checking the room. Let me ponder on it awhile, because there's no reason to give the usual stock answers.

However, my first guess is that a transmitter is clogging the lines, so to speak, by transmitting when it shouldn't. Maybe Bill at HomeAutomationNet will lend you an anylizer.

OEX
02-09-2005, 04:23 PM
i checked with me leviton guy and he couldnt get one for me to borrow. what things could be transmitting? i have about 25-30 microdim dimmers, about 5 x-10 dimmers, netgear wireless router & separate printer server which both need to be reset more than is should be,

OEX
03-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Larry,

Have any ideas?

I also figured I'd post since your rooms been awful quiet lately

Jerry
03-25-2005, 04:23 AM
Have you tried just taking out the X-10 devices?
Assuming they are not the new improved versions.

Anonymous
05-15-2005, 01:22 PM
Have you installed phase filters?

Have you installed plug in filters on all of your electronics:TV, computers, network equipment, stereos etc.?

If not, go around your home and unplug everything from the walls and test your lighting system simultaneously.

OEX
05-15-2005, 03:08 PM
[quote="www.mctoday.com"]Have you installed phase filters?

no - have a Leviton phase bridge that is supposed to have filtering but its dead. Hmmm

Have you installed plug in filters on all of your electronics:TV, computers, network equipment, stereos etc.?

No but went thru the effort to disconnect everything. By that I mean I lifted all the wires directly from the breakers but a single circuit to test. The noise/interference is definetly coming from outside