PDA

View Full Version : Magnepan

Jerry
02-07-2005, 11:21 PM
I have a client that is set on a set of Magnepan speakers for his dedicated theater. I don't have much experience with these. What are the general placement rules for a "planer" style speaker?
5.1? 7.1?
I will have more info later this week, just fishin for some ideas.

LarryFine
02-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Jerry, the 'Pans should come with documentation of all the setup recommendations you'll ever need. They're basically di-poles. Actually, they're the epitome of di-poles.

Jerry
02-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Larry,
That is kind of what I was thinking. (dipole)
Any ideas on hiding them without sacrificing too much audio?
Also, their website pretty much states that you should move them around the room until they sound the way you like. (pretty vague and non-descript)
Try designing a theater with that in mind!!
"um, Mr Builder, we are going to have to move that wall a little bit"
"um, Mr Builder, that didn't sound right, could put that wall back where it was?"

LarryFine
02-08-2005, 12:55 AM
No, 'Pans are not meant for hiding; they need to be well away from walls, both behind and to the sides. If stealth is an objective, these are definitely not the right speakers.

Theaterworks
02-08-2005, 06:31 AM
No, no, no. If your client is planning on buying these speakers and wants to hide them he does not understand the nature of dipolar speakers at all.

Interestingly enough, the White House has/had a set of Magnapans hidden in little closets, driven by McIntosh gear. A bad combo. No, I have not been there, but there was an article in one of the hobbyist magazine ten or fifteen years ago about it.

Fastfred
02-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Jerry

I sold maggy back in the early eighties.

Real estate and magnepan share several things in common:

1. location
2. more current (well, maybe not important for real estate, but a high current amp is needed)
3. subwoofers (that analogy has pretty much disapeared)

These guys sound great. They definitely are sit, listen, adjust, sit listen and adjust speakers.

No, you can't build them in the walls. If he wants ribbon performance in an in wall, go to Bohlander Graebner. They rock. You will still need high current, high power and subwoofers (we used Bryston to power the tops and Crown to drive the custom in floor subs {tip of the hat to Jason Lindvall, who engineered the system}).

Jerry
02-08-2005, 09:19 AM
I'll know more later this week!