PDA

View Full Version : Poll - best flat panel LCD from a integration standpoint

2ndRick
09-23-2005, 09:18 PM
OK, the PDP poll and thread was an eye-opener...
Now I am looking for some feedback on which LCDs are good, and which are the biggest PITAs on the market.

Once again, I am not necessarily looking for remarks on the picture quality or the cosmetics. I am seeking the units that have discrete power, discrete input comands, and aspect controls if the unit is widescreen (please note this in your remarks if you are referring to the 4:3 or 16:9 models)

If anyone has specific succeses or nightmarish experiences, this is the time and place to share.

I am not including the Wal-Mart/Target/CostCo brands like Vizio, Mintek, Axion, Olevia, etc. as we all know these are probably 2-3 generations old closeout panels from someone else in a new bezel.

nholmes
09-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I would have to say NuVision is missing from the poll. Thier LCD's all have discrete input, aspect controls directly on the remote plus the manufacturer provides IR/232 protocol on the website for all the missing peices.

Not to mention they do provide a great picture and a nice refined cabinet.

The fact that they are sold through the CI market only also helps with margins.

2ndRick
09-26-2005, 01:48 AM
OK, one write in vote for NuVision.
Thanks for the reply.

sirroundsound
09-26-2005, 08:01 AM
at Cedia we were looking at the company down by the Music Giant booth. A variety of panels, supposedly only going to be sold through our market and when asked about descretes, Yes was the answer. H#B, they also have a car stereo with memory card slot and or hard drive connection, not available here, yet.

idodishez
10-17-2005, 11:43 PM
deleted

flcusat
10-22-2005, 06:57 AM
I second Nuvision regarding the discretes and RS-232 protocol and the beauty of the cabinet, but the picture is a whole different story. I got two 32" for a customer after reading the review in The Home Theater Magazine. Right of the box I noticed in both of them a redish picture(also at CEDIA). I try to ISF them and I noticed a lack of blue (about 15%) and there was not access to adjust that in the color decoder. So I end up attenuating the red(with a 3db external attenuator) to take of what it looked like a red push issue but is actually lack of blue and still the blue is out like 5% which it makes the picture look a little bit redish. I spoke to Foy Wilkey who supposely is the creator of the set(sets are actually made in China) and he told me at CEDIA that the set had no problems, even when the set that they were displaying at CEDIA showed the same problems. Actually he didn't have any clue about what I was telling him so I went to Sencore's and grab a VP403 and the color filters and showed him what the problem was. He agreed that the blue was lacking about 15% and there was not access to the color decoder through the service menu. He said that he would talk to the engineers in China and get back to me, but so far I haven't heard from him yet.

D-A/V
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Can I resurrect this thread or get a new poll started on LCD Televisions (don't know how to make a poll)

Audiophiliac
01-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Runco.

lowvoltguy
01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Runco.

Runco ... LG ...

TTT
01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Loewe individual:

http://www.loewe.de/individual_32_selection_de,41809,53.html

Discrete codes. Optional PVR (DVB-T based) built in. Sexiest remote ever:

http://www.loewe.de/assist_de,62092,53.html

Also, SPDIF out so audio runs down a single length of video cable (made up with compression RCA's) Neatest bracket in the history of flat panel TVs (although a little unforgiving when hanging- you REALLY have to drill those holes in the right places!). Loads of finishes.

Sound is the best I have ever heard from a flat panel. The newer units will offer DD/DTS/PL2 decoders.

32" sells at approx twice Sony's base model.

QQQ
04-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Loewe..
This is an old thread but is Loewe still in distribution here in the US? For a long time they advertised constantly in industry magazines but I don't recall hearing a peep out of them in a long time.

djnorm
04-26-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Loewe is long gone from our market.

THANK GOD!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

QQQ
04-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Loewe is long gone from our market.

THANK GOD!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!
I don't know what it was about that line but it had failure in the US market written all over it. I didn't care how exclusive/profitable it might be I wouldn't touch it.

QQQ
04-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Another problem with doing a poll like this - If it started again from scratch, you would have very different results. Every year manufactures change thier displays, and every year some get better and some get worse.
That's why I was just asking about Nuvision in the chat forum. I want to work with a company that designs their sets with discretes and RS-232 every year. I want to stop wasting time with these inane companies that put discretes on one year, off the next, back on. We should NOT have to be wasting time researching this every time a new model comes out. Total bullsh*t.

flcusat
04-27-2007, 06:20 AM
I agree.

The Sharp would be my last choice - I just did a house with 3 of thier best panels in it (46", 42", & 32" sizes). The picture looks like shit... No discrete aspect controls I could find anywhere either.

I have never liked the picture in the Sharps to the point that I don't look at them anymore. I think they have the worst picture out there, period.

FRR
04-27-2007, 07:40 AM
I know Frank hates the Samsung panels. I need to create a cheat sheet for him on basic adjustment, so he can see how OK they can look; if you take a few minutes to adjust it right.[QUOTE]

IMHO, Samsung reliability used to suck, 3-5 years ago it was a crap shoot (i.e. I've seen and heard Samsung plasmas buzz like a bad fluorescent tub, at 800 ft above sea level). However, I do have to say that in that last few years they've significantly improved their reliability, quality and features.

[QUOTE=Brad]
The Sharp would be my last choice - I just did a house with 3 of their best panels in it (46", 42", & 32" sizes). The picture looks like shit... No discrete aspect controls I could find anywhere either.

Sharp has started to fall behind some of the more aggressive brands such as Samsung and LG. This is especially true when compared to the latest equivalent models from Samsung.

TTT
04-27-2007, 10:11 AM
They don't get over to you. I don't think they sell them anywhere outside Europe. Their big drive to launch in the US with the Articos 55 and Aconda 43 (?) nearly put them out of business . I think they struggled to sell a premium product with (by US standards) small screen sizes, little rear projection, etc. They sold some equity to Sharp to survive and they are essentially Sharp's premium line in Europe. Their Individual range is selling in vast quantities and seems to have reinforced their financial position. There is a 46 arriving in the next couple of weeks and a 52 due later this year. Maybe Sharp will supply a ATSC tuner so they can relaunch? Check out DR+, their built-in PVR with twin DVB-S/T tuners.

www.loewe-uk.com

idodishez
04-27-2007, 11:48 PM
IMHO, Samsung reliability used to suck, 3-5 years ago it was a crap shoot. However, I do have to say that in that last few years they've significantly improved their reliability, quality and features.

Yeah well Hyundai is now comparing themselvs to BMW, but that doesnt mean they've changed or that Im gonna buy one:D

idodishez
04-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I agree.

I know Frank hates the Samsung panels. I need to create a cheat sheet for him on basic adjustment, so he can see how OK they can look; if you take a few minutes to adjust it right.

My next step would be Sony -

I just installed a Samsung LCD a few weeks ago (client supplied). Was out there yesterday fighting w the RTI RF issues. I was watching one of the SD channels, and I remembered why I hate them so much. The picture looks like SHIT! Maybe it was the comcast feed, but it certainly goes along w my many past experiences w Samsung PQ.

Greg_C
04-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Try viewing a security camera on one. Have a client where the electrician used some cheap Leviton cameras that were modulated. On a Sony Plasma, some LG LCD's, and a few old Tube TV's it looked ok. On the Samsung it looked like Ass.

crestrontech
04-28-2007, 11:51 AM
controlling thu 232 --never a issue

sanfransoxfan04
12-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Purchased the low end LG 1080p LCD day after thanksgiving (42LB5D). So nice to pop in the accompanying manual on CD and have full documentation of their RS-232 control protocol.
Grabbed a Crestron LG Plasma module from their website, added in the commands for backlight adjust and never looked back.

Picture looks quite good too.

Elston
12-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I would have to say NuVision is missing from the poll. Thier LCD's all have discrete input, aspect controls directly on the remote plus the manufacturer provides IR/232 protocol on the website for all the missing peices.

Not to mention they do provide a great picture and a nice refined cabinet.

The fact that they are sold through the CI market only also helps with margins.

I agree that NuVision should be on the poll as that is who I would have voted for.

Matt
12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
At this point, my vote would be for planar.

BobL
12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll second the Planar.

Groovit
02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
The only issue I have had with Planar is that they tend to be a bit deeper than other models and do not work well if there is an issue with side reveal.

Groovit
02-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Anyone work with RevolutionHD?

I saw these at Cedia back in October.

232... ISF... decent and simple cabinets... allows company (installer or calibrator) banner to be inserted.

They are available through Electrograph.

www.revolutionhd.com

config
02-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Anyone work with RevolutionHD?

I saw these at Cedia back in October.

232... ISF... decent and simple cabinets... allows company (installer or calibrator) banner to be inserted.

They are available through Electrograph.

www.revolutionhd.com

I've spoken to Electrograph about them but haven't given them a shot yet, more here:

http://integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5424

Matt
02-06-2008, 03:18 PM
This thead is outdated now. For instance, LG has moved to my shit list and I wont sell it again.

PAAI
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
How can they even be on your shit list when they can't even supply their Shit to the distributors? You can say they are on my Fu(& Off list. :)

Have you signed up with Planar?

Kelly
02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
This thead is outdated now. For instance, LG has moved to my shit list and I wont sell it again.

What, pray tell, has happened to put LG on your SL?

Other than margins so thin they can't be called margins there is something else?......:lol:

gotp
07-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow Now I can Post, YEAH....Sorry, aaah....LCD....Panasonic, and sharp, seem cool, anyone see that the new Pioneer stuff is comming out with network ports and file sharing, any idea what all we will be able to do?
Maybe i should start a new cat for that 1...:D

clinthicum
07-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I was hoping to see an option for "LCD - Heck NO !" You want one of them, goto BestBuy and have the Geek Squad install it for you. I'm off to another client.....later !

Ghost
07-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Well that was less than useful.

The8thst
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
I was hoping to see an option for "LCD - Heck NO !" You want one of them, goto BestBuy and have the Geek Squad install it for you. I'm off to another client.....later !

Me two, except I would add plasma to the Heck NO category. Neither of those crappy technologies hold a candle to CRT rear projection units.

I only sell refurbished Mitsubishi Diamond sets and send all other customers packing.

Hear Hear brother.

gotp
07-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Me two, except I would add plasma to the Heck NO category. Neither of those crappy technologies hold a candle to CRT rear projection units.

I only sell refurbished Mitsubishi Diamond sets and send all other customers packing.

Hear Hear brother.

No FLAT panels, Thats hella funny, I'm so happy flat panel anything came out, now i have never had so munch work! THANK GOD FOR FLAT TV'S!!!

Now my customer wants a clean install and i get to mount 5 or 6 or even 10 TV's in a house! I supply the video distribution! I supply the 200% marked up IR control gear! and The ELAN V883 cost them 3k, I SUPPLY THE LABOR ooooo THE LABOR, life is better than ever and it's all due to FLAT TV's!!!! FUKK BEST BUY! I don't care if I sell a TV 1 as long as i get the rest.:rolleyes:

MY.01 cent