PDA

View Full Version : Comcast DVR's

adigitaljohn
04-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Have a client that claims he can get his own DVR, and comcast will provide him with an HD card, rather than rent their HD-DVR as an option.

Anyone heard of this?
Which DVR is best suited?
or is TIVO the route to go.

I personally prefer the Comcast HD-DVR combo (less headaches) , but hate the fact I have to pay them monthly.

Theaterworks
04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
This describes Tivo, which I have done a couple of times. Works fine, it seems.

Face it; you'll be paying someone for the DVR service, Comcast, Tivo, whoever.

adigitaljohn
04-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Owen, you are up early.
Thanks for the input. Where do you purchase your TIVO units?
Do you happen to know what Comcast charges for the (2) cards need for each TIVO?

jberger
04-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Petra and Vickers (DDG) carry the HD Tivo's.

I have no idea what Comcast charges, but down here, the total cost of a TiVo with monthly TiVo service + cable card is just about equal to the Charter DVR rental. And the TiVo give a much better picture and more control.

tomciara
04-30-2008, 10:07 AM
In another thread I chronicled my situation where a client is setting up a new system and wanted a new HD TiVo.

I didn't have a source and told him he'd be just as well off to pick it up himself. I didn't tell him that my few clients with cable cards have had issues and many have opted for a Comcast box to get something that works.

He's on his second TiVo box (first one vibrated/hummed) and about the fourth card. He's been on the phone to TiVo for two hours at a time and Comcast has given him about three 8AM to 12 noon windows for service calls.

He's probably got 12 hours minimum into it and still no joy.

Better him than me.

Couldn't say this on RC, could I?

Theaterworks
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Owen, you are up early.
Thanks for the input. Where do you purchase your TIVO units?
Do you happen to know what Comcast charges for the (2) cards need for each TIVO?

Always. You know there's something seriously wrong with your lifestyle when you arrive at the Starbucks at 6:00, the woman looks up at you, and says "you're late!"

Petra.

No.

TedW
04-30-2008, 11:14 AM
In another thread I chronicled my situation where a client is setting up a new system and wanted a new HD TiVo.

I didn't have a source and told him he'd be just as well off to pick it up himself. I didn't tell him that my few clients with cable cards have had issues and many have opted for a Comcast box to get something that works.

He's on his second TiVo box (first one vibrated/hummed) and about the fourth card. He's been on the phone to TiVo for two hours at a time and Comcast has given him about three 8AM to 12 noon windows for service calls.

He's probably got 12 hours minimum into it and still no joy.

Better him than me.

Couldn't say this on RC, could I?

I believe that was my thread where I had just bought the Tivo.

If you can make it work it is worth the headaches. I will never go back to a moto DVR again.