PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox and Transporter

jhildred
05-10-2008, 12:00 PM
As an ex-Slim Devices guy I was wondering if people here had used the Squeezebox or Transporter (or new Squeezebox Duet) as a way of delivering multi-room audio for customers.

I'm just wondering if Logitech have managed to achieve any penetration into the industry since I left and what folks that have used the products thought of them.

def90
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I've come close to using it a couple times, usually for people who want to listen to NPR or a radio station from out of town.. I typically use Escient (which allows for internet radio serving) or ReQuest for music server distribution just because of ease of use, most of my clients don't want to mess around with buying music online and transfering it around to different computers or devices. Dropping a CD into a tray and having it automatically record it for them is what most of them want.

smcnally
05-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Hi Jez,
We've been getting more calls lately about our module. Specifically about whether or not it will work with the Duet. So I think the duet has caused a little bit of a 'spike' in interest lately. I run a squeezebox at my house and still love it.

-Steve

ssmiller
05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I have installed 1 Duet in a very small (2 zone) system and the client's are very happy with it. They just wanted an easy way to listen to Rhapsody without a computer and the Duet worked out great.

jhildred
05-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi Jez,
We've been getting more calls lately about our module. Specifically about whether or not it will work with the Duet. So I think the duet has caused a little bit of a 'spike' in interest lately. I run a squeezebox at my house and still love it.

-Steve

Yeah the Duet does seem to be doing it's job of being their 'Sonos killer'. It's actually a very cool combination of hardware and open source software. Hagen has already created and posted a module to control the VUDU XL from it. It's also got some neat hardware tricks up it's sleeve that I don't know if anyone is using yet. The IR emitter could come in very handy in the CI world - especially if you had some way of knowing what room you were in so it could know what kit was in the room. Also the memory card slot and headphone jack make the possibility of it becoming a standalone MP3 player just a matter of time.

As you can tell I'm still a big fan, I'm just sorry we never really got a chance to push the products in the CI world properly . . they are infinitely more customizable than Sonos.

TedW
05-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I just noticed on my old SB3 squeezebox that Sirius radio access has appeared. My wife says it's been there for a few months but I never noticed it. For all I know it's been there for years now but not having Sirius or XM access was one of the things that annoyed the heck out of me about Escient the last time I used them.