PDA

View Full Version : Best solutions for controlling DVD/CD media

tomciara
10-08-2005, 10:34 PM
A client liked the looks of an Escient style controller to keep track of DVD and CD media. Having a gui and art would be a real advantage for this client. In my mid fi world, I've not installed a media server yet.

Do you like the DVDM100 for instance, and use outboard changers? Any downside to this? Or, do you prefer something with a big ol' hard drive in it? Capacity issues would arise, I suppose.

If you have other brands/solutions, I'd like to hear what you like.

Matt
10-08-2005, 11:20 PM
It all comes down to the budget. Hard drive DVD servers are not cheap, yet they are coming down every day, the imuse can be had starting for less than 4k. That is a new product that to my knowledge is not released yet. Kalidescape and AMX will be out of your reach unless you can get a dealer to work with you. I would suggest you look at video request, that utillizes a sony 777. Definately figure out the budget first before you start suggesting things. It would also be good to know if different media will be played in different zones. Cha-ching. It's not as simple as distributing audio, so make sure to do your homework. Once you have more info, ask some more questions.

avophile
10-09-2005, 12:17 AM
The only thing that PsMO about the DVD controller scenario is that it is restricted AFAIK to one output at a time, defeating the purpose of a server, even if you are connecting multiple DVD players.

I have been burned by Escient's in the past so I stay away, although many like them. There is always the Elan ViaDVDj option, too. We know everybody loves those here!

Also check out the Xperinet for hard disc servers. Selling my first this week. Installing who knows when but maybe I'll buy it to play with... I mean do a full test in the lab. The features and future upgrade path make sense for the Sub-ultra high end.

ejfiii
10-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey Doug, please keep us updated with the Xperinet gear. I am VERY interested in their solution. I am planning on going to their offices in MD when I get some free time (ha ha).

You may want to check out a Request Music Server and a Request Video Request which controls up to 4 777 changers. Still kind of pricey though.

Might I suggest a USB hard drive with a $600 C4 Home Theater Controller and a 777 changer? Like Doug and FT I am still not sold on the system as there are just so many bugs and problems that so many people find. Have my first install next week, so we'll see.

avophile
10-09-2005, 11:12 AM
EJ,

How would C4 MP/HTC work with multiple 777's?

I'm gonna take my 10" out of the box this week....I swear!

(That was not an Aerosmith reference!)

ejfiii
10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Doug, I think via serial you can have multiple 777s from a C4 controller.

Or was your question in jest?

Good luck with the 10.5.

idodishez
10-09-2005, 11:43 PM
. I would suggest you look at video request, that utillizes a sony 777. .

How would this differ, or what advantages would there be,over an Escient w a Sony 777?

Ive never used either, (just saw the Esciebtnt @ CEDIA training) so Im just wondering the differences.

Matt
10-10-2005, 12:31 AM
. I would suggest you look at video request, that utillizes a sony 777. .

How would this differ, or what advantages would there be,over an Escient w a Sony 777?

Ive never used either, (just saw the Esciebtnt @ CEDIA training) so Im just wondering the differences.

Different maufacturers making products that do realtively the same thing, same as the Elan DVDJ. I happen to like Video requests offering better than the other two, not because of differing features but because I like Request the company better.

Matt
10-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Doug, I think via serial you can have multiple 777s from a C4 controller.

Or was your question in jest?

Good luck with the 10.5.

The HTC only has 1 serial connection, I do think you can have multiples on the sea IV (nice one Av) media controller.

ejfiii
10-10-2005, 07:00 AM
The HTC only has 1 serial connection, I do think you can have multiples on the sea IV (nice one Av) media controller.

Hey, who posted that? Did jayson hack into my user account?

Matt
10-10-2005, 09:11 AM

Hey, who posted that? Did jayson hack into my user account?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

netarc
12-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I can't stand the Escient interface ... just not terribly professional looking or user-friendly. I've seen the Control4 interface only briefly, but it looked much better ... my .02 for whatever it's worth.