PDA

View Full Version : Prefered 50" plasma

sirroundsound
01-26-2005, 10:09 AM
There are soooo many to choose from, some have control issues, many have the same "specs" as each other. WHat is the flavour out there. I have used Sony in the past, Hitachi is in our boardroom, Panasonic' have been installed recently in a couple of clients homes (they seem to be good) , Runco ($ for value?) and we also use Fujitsu.

Brijaws
01-26-2005, 10:26 AM
We had put a few LG in the last weeks and they have looked awesome, and were inexpensive compared to some of the other brands.

Gary
01-26-2005, 10:31 AM
We use NEC, they look great, easy to control, both discrete IR and rs232, not in the bigbox stores or easy to shop online.

sirroundsound
01-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Tried LG a couple of years ago, not sure if they have changed much, our big issue back then was not enough aspect modes, 4:3 pictures either had bars on the sides or everyone looked fat, or picture was brought so far forward they looked "blown up" and you lost alot more info from top and bottom than I was used to from other brands. I have a friend that uses them in commercial enviroments, I could see them being good there.

mr2channel
01-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Fujitsu is our flavor of choice, looks great, all discretes, RS232, plenty of integrator friendly features. Pioneer Elite set look really good too, but we don't install them.

The8thst
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Panasonic Comercial series inexpensive, 232 for everything except aspect control (we use a remote to spit out IR just for this command and RF for everything else).

Just put in a Pioneer Elite and that wasn't too bad either. Only power and one other wire to run to the plasma which rocks for articulating arms. Only problem is the system cable is short and it is very expensive to get longer ones.

Gary
01-26-2005, 06:14 PM
everyone looked fat,

This aways makes me feel a lot better about myself.

flcusat
01-26-2005, 09:06 PM
First choice Fujitsu, second choice NEC. But you can find them(NEC) latetly on line. :x

Ghost
01-27-2005, 12:08 AM
We use Fujitsu, then fall back on Hitachi.

I see a lot of people going to the NEC ? I've have not been impressed with the picture quality from these at all... but to their defense, they were all commercial models. I've also seen them fail around here, it was a nightmare for the people for service (glad I didn't sell it to them).

Anonymous
01-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Brad is talking about the picture he uses for the avatar

djnorm
01-27-2005, 11:23 PM
I have to vote for the Pioneer Elite... The 1120 is a big improvement over what was already a great unit in the 1110... Looks spectacular...

Gary
01-28-2005, 09:09 AM
We use Fujitsu, then fall back on Hitachi.

I see a lot of people going to the NEC ? I've have not been impressed with the picture quality from these at all... but to their defense, they were all commercial models. I've also seen them fail around here, it was a nightmare for the people for service (glad I didn't sell it to them).

We've put it a bunch of NECs without any service issues, I can't say that for Fujitsu.

I'm no videofile, but I think picture quality is quite good.

Ghost
01-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Hi Gary,

I don't do a high volume of stuff but all the Fujitsu we've installed so far have been flawless.

The service issues I've seen with NEC are based on 3 customers over the last few years that I've ran into, all had been sold commercial plasmas (I don't know if NEC even makes a residential model) and all had troubles with them - 1 customer went thru 3 before it went out of warranty and was told by NEC it would cost the same as what he paid for it to fix it. In each case, I didn't see anything in the installation or use of the units that would have caused problems. And the Fujitsu models I replaced them with have given no problems since either. ???
Picture quality wise - there aren't a lot of Plasmas out there that do impress me.

P.S. - I changed my Avatar Mr. Guest

flcusat
01-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Brad Mr Guest is me. I replied to the thread from the e-mail notification link and somehow my user ID didn't show up. By the way I saw in the photo gallery that you use Phase speakers so far I 've use the PC series. How do you compare the Velocity series to the PC series. Are you coming down for the EHX expo in Orlando?

lowvoltguy
01-28-2005, 10:36 PM
We spec out Pioneer Elite's for the most part .... our "flagship" is Runco

Ghost
01-29-2005, 11:48 AM
We spec out Pioneer Elite's for the most part .... our "flagship" is Runco
I've seen some great PQ looking Pioneer Elite Plasma's

By the way I saw in the photo gallery that you use Phase speakers so far I 've use the PC series. How do you compare the Velocity series to the PC series. Are you coming down for the EHX expo in Orlando?
I'll start a thread on those speakers.
Yes, I'm going to EHX2005. I'll restart that thread again too.

ejfiii
01-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Fujitsu then NEC here. In that order. NEC was closer to the top before, but now you can find their sets on websites everywhere - usually for less than we buy them for. Try telling the client that its last years model and doesn't have a warranty to justify your $2000 surcharge. I just got tired of it. None of those problems with Fujitsu.

flcusat
01-30-2005, 01:32 PM
I agreed with you.

PHSJason
01-30-2005, 05:26 PM
We are looking at picking up LG. How is the reliability?

Jason

install1
02-03-2005, 04:06 PM
We are looking at picking up the new Philips 32" 32FW991 plasma. I personally haven't seen one hooked up, do any of you have any feedback I can relay to the purchasing powers that be? Any feedback on any of the Philips plasmas would be great. Thanks

vwpower44
02-03-2005, 04:35 PM
We use Fujitsu as high end, sony as middle, and Samsung for low end. We do more Fujitsu than anything, but just this week, we installed 3 samsung 42" EDTV plasmas. We have a hard time competing in price on samsung with the big box stores (sometimes 300-500 less than MSRP). We are also looking into the LG product line. I would be interested in seeing what yyou all have to say about their product.

Mike

Greg_C
02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
With the recent price moves by Dwin, I'm thinking of using them instead of Fujitsu. I know that they use NEC glass and their own scaler. Anybody use them? I love their TV-3 DLP projector.

ejfiii
02-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I will not even consider Samsung anymore since they put the speakers on the bottom and made them permanent. Talk about screwing up a whole industry channel. I mean, how the hell am I supposed to recess that crap now? Ridiculous. Now its Fujitsu or NEC if you can't afford Fujitsu.

FWIw - I can't imagine a scaler on a Dwin will make the picture that much better than an NEC set. I have installed a ton of them and their picture is fantastic - especially for the moola. But I also don't know the price of the Dwin either. I will say I could sell Marantz sets, also built on the NEC plasma. But the 61 inch Marantz doesn't have a $3k better picture than the 61 NEC. But I could certainly be wrong on the Dwin.

Greg_C
02-03-2005, 08:53 PM
The one nice feature of the Dwin is that it uses a propritary DVI connector that is only 3/4 in diamater. The scaller has 2 DVI inputs, 2 Component, 2 S-Video 2 composite and 2 RGB. Lots of flexability!

Shadowman68
02-03-2005, 11:49 PM
I have a customer that is an importer/exporter, He asked if I would be willing to sell BenQ. Apparently he can have them shipped over with my own label on them. I have talked with a few people and they dont recommend BenQ because they use 2nd Gen glass, Whats the deal with the glass? Anyone have any problems with BenQ Plasmas?
Anyone play with the new Philips Ambilight yet?

MikeTech
02-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Yup, and i turn it off every time. All my customers agree that the light annoys them while they're trying to focus on a show.

I install Fujitsu whenever possible.

Mike

vts1134
02-11-2005, 08:07 PM
We use Pioneer, and Sony for the most part. I'm not sure if those of you who use NEC know that they have been bought by Pioneer. I'm sure the NEC name will stick around for a year or two but I wonder if Pioneer will keep it around longer. We have had increadible luck with the Pioneer, fantastic picture and great integration via RS232, although I think IR integration has moved backwords (ie 9 second lag between power on and input command). The Sony units are ok but they can be shoped in big box stores. On a side note what mounts are you guys using? We just "discovered" the Omni Mount U3F and can't imagine EVER using anything else.

Anonymous
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
We use Pioneer, and Sony for the most part. I'm not sure if those of you who use NEC know that they have been bought by Pioneer. I'm sure the NEC name will stick around for a year or two but I wonder if Pioneer will keep it around longer. We have had increadible luck with the Pioneer, fantastic picture and great integration via RS232, although I think IR integration has moved backwords (ie 9 second lag between power on and input command). The Sony units are ok but they can be shoped in big box stores. On a side note what mounts are you guys using? We just "discovered" the Omni Mount U3F and can't imagine EVER using anything elsutddrdfdfhdfhw33853tdvce.

OEX
01-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I sell my fare share of Hitachi 42". Easy to calibrate and look decent when done. It fixed a CC supplied Sammie last week. It might have been the worst picture I have ever seen. Granted, I didn't calibrate it but it wouldnt have helped.

I sell Fujitsu and offer NEC for 50" and use Hitachi as a cheaper replacement in 42".

idodishez
07-18-2006, 01:12 AM
As it seems inlikely to actually get my hands on an LG, is everyone still happy w NEC as a second choice? Or has that changed over the lasty year or so? Just looking for a lower price point in case I need it (From Fujitsu)

brandenpro
07-18-2006, 01:59 AM
As it seems inlikely to actually get my hands on an LG, is everyone still happy w NEC as a second choice? Or has that changed over the lasty year or so? Just looking for a lower price point in case I need it (From Fujitsu)

Try here for LG

woops I thought this was verified

Audiophiliac
08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Preferred? Runco. Without a doubt. But our most popular has been the Marantz. Done tons of them. They have never had any issues. We picked up LG recently and I am REALLY impressed so far. Ive installed probably every major brand of plasma. I cant say that I hated any of them.

flyingmachine
10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I am also trying to make a decision of what line I should sell. I want to have one go to line if Fujistu isn't a consideration. Lots of good reviews of what LG has to offer for the CI crowd. Is that still consensus?

Greg_C
10-12-2006, 05:30 AM
We use LG as our intro model, and Vidikron as a step up.

whoaduck
10-16-2006, 04:34 PM
The LG 50PC1DRA is the sexiest looking TV I have seen. Picture looks great and the cosmetics are beautiful.