PDA

View Full Version : Video Distribution

Dogman
10-14-2005, 09:23 PM
OK here is a crazy question. 9K sq ft home. (two weeks til sheetrock of course :) )

3 sony 777dvd players
3 dish hd receivers

9 potential zones of video

Question 1
Which is the proper way to cable this?
Competitor wants to modulate from dual rg6 runs

I was thinking of running rgbhv 5 conductor cable to each tv (some plasma some old crt units which client will upgrade to at least component if needed)

Is there some place that i can point the client to telling her why modulated signals are INSANE?

Dog

Jerry
10-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Remind her it is 2005. (in a nice way ofcourse)

ATOH
10-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Easy. Picture quality!

Why have DVD players (3 Sony 777s aren't cheap :D ) and HD when you're going to be watching it on a modulated channel 3? Might as well throw some VCRs into the system instead and get basic cable. Why have HD displays without HD signal to it?

Time for a matrix switch.

Dogman
10-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Remind her it is 2005. (in a nice way ofcourse)

Yeah I know. Building a mansion and you want to put in modulation

Why have DVD players (3 Sony 777s aren't cheap Very Happy )
They have boxes and boxes of DVD's with kids that want to see all 1200 of them. Would I spend it on myself? No way

Time for a matrix switch.
Any recommendations?

vwpower44
10-15-2005, 07:41 AM
I would use some kind of CAT5 HD video distribution w/ a matrix switch. Look at extron, Crestron pvid, elan, etc. If you use MiniRGB you might have a problem on long runs. If you do use Mini RGB I would look into getting some that is spec'd to go the distance. The new Genesis MiniRGB is spec'd to go 150 feet. It is pretty nice stuff. If they don't want the expense of a CAT5 distribution then I would look at running some RG59 CCTV wire. Run three wires for each room for component video. If that is still too expensive, you can alwasy use a composite video MRC pretty cheap. Just run one RG59 CCTV to each room. Whatever you do run two CAT5's for future use of HDMI, Component Video, etc. Also don't forget, you will need some kind of control.

Mike

Gary
10-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Distributed A/V (as apposed to just audio) is pretty much the bread and butter of what we do.

We never use modulators.

For systems where composite is good enough we use B&K CT600. For this you can use a single RG59 or RG6. Don't forget to run wire for control.

If they want HD (and it sounds like they do) I would add to the CT600 a video switcher. My favorites would be either the Crestron PVID or Sonance Navigator Video Matrix. For either of these you would run a single Cat5 for composite, s-video, and component. Again make sure you pull something for control.

If your using a standard matrix switch or something like the Elan S12, pull mini-RGB for the short runs, RG59 for the long runs. I've run mini up to 200 feet with no problems.

Another consideration, will each of the zones have speakers? If not you will need to run something for audio to the monitors.

Jerry
10-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Interesting note.
Has any one here priced out the difference between running mini-rgb vs. cat5e w/baluns. I've been running the mini for some time, but have not had the chance to look at the cost difference. It seems that just about everyone has a cat5 balun solution. Any suggestions on a good VALUE line for those (works well, but not neccessarily Extron quaility).

Just curious.

RobbieS
10-15-2005, 11:12 AM
Interesting note.
Has any one here priced out the difference between running mini-rgb vs. cat5e w/baluns. I've been running the mini for some time, but have not had the chance to look at the cost difference. It seems that just about everyone has a cat5 balun solution. Any suggestions on a good VALUE line for those (works well, but not neccessarily Extron quaility).

Just curious.

That's a good question.

I am curious about video quality as well. I would think there could be some noticeable differences because of the conversions. (At least in some of the lower quality units)

We have always run mini-rgb but I think I'll order a set of baluns and do a little side by side video comparison. Anybody else done this yet?

Dogman
10-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Guys thanks a ton for the posts. Has anyone ever used the Audio Authority equipment yet?

Also please note. I am not concerned about cost of the solution as much as functionality and client being happy. This job will lead to another which happens to be the ex mayor. Pretty high profile account and don't want to screw it up although I believe no video would be rather then video modulation

Dog

ejfiii
10-17-2005, 07:11 AM
I am a cheerleader for the Audio Control cat5 system. Works great long distances. Easier to run cat5 than RGB. The Audio Authority piece also looks interesting as it provides for analog as well as digital audio (Audio COntrol only had digital). Of course it needs 2 cat5s to do that. I just dont know anyone who has used this piece yet and I didn't get to see it at CEDIA.

I like Gary's integrated solution like the PVID or the Sonance piece. I am starting to look closer at these solutions now. Look at Key Digital, Extron, Autopatch and Knox for stand alone video switches.

Kelly
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I stopped by the Audio Authority booth while at CEDIA, and was given a nice detailed explanation on how the system works.

Got a literature pack just a couple weeks ago, and was pretty much shocked....

30k per year to be direct....?

That seems a little bit heavy for something of this nature......

AND, it is a tad high priced. Running multiple RG59 starts to become appealing very fast.... :lol:

ejfiii
10-17-2005, 06:51 PM
got anything specific you can share Kelly?

nholmes
10-18-2005, 10:21 AM
I have recently used Knoll's component baluns for both a 30ft run and also another 90ft run. The baluns are active and directional and provided very clean signal's. They claim they will be able to support 1080p up to 100ft I believe.

Kelly
10-18-2005, 01:44 PM
got anything specific you can share Kelly?

Okay.

I'll put up the info in the verified section....

idodishez
01-02-2006, 02:19 AM
Distributed A/V (as apposed to just audio) is pretty much the bread and butter of what we do.

We never use modulators.

For systems where composite is good enough we use B&K CT600. For this you can use a single RG59 or RG6. Don't forget to run wire for control.

If they want HD (and it sounds like they do) I would add to the CT600 a video switcher. My favorites would be either the Crestron PVID or Sonance Navigator Video Matrix. For either of these you would run a single Cat5 for composite, s-video, and component. Again make sure you pull something for control.

If your using a standard matrix switch or something like the Elan S12, pull mini-RGB for the short runs, RG59 for the long runs. I've run mini up to 200 feet with no problems.

Another consideration, will each of the zones have speakers? If not you will need to run something for audio to the monitors.

Just looked a tthe specs for the Sonance piece. So over a SINGLE cat5 run you can get component, s-video, composite, AND an infrared?