PDA

View Full Version : Talk about finding a rare car in a barn

dtechy1
07-05-2008, 04:45 PM
So here is an interesting story that happened to me recently and no it has nothing to do with a rare car but the analagy is close.

Let me set the stage: We live in an area in the great north where you can drive a whole day and not see anything but trees, mountains and wild life. It is a dusty western town where there are real cowboys and indians(Hollywood films alot movies here for that reason) and not alot of people that know anything about high end audio.

I get a work order to install an HD satellite receiver at a place that is an hour out in the middle of no where. We travel (brought a trainee for the company) to the place through thick trees and 4x4 trails and find a nice little log cabin house that is in need of repairs. I knock on the door with product in hand and ask where he wants the system installed. We walk through the home and procedes to open a door to another room......

I just about dropped the equipment and peed my pants with glee followed by deep dispare. The fellow had rented the house to some people for a few years that had a couple big dogs.....big hairy dogs. Dirt and Grime everywhere. The carpets were trashed, the air was thick with the smell of everything dog and fir was hanging off the HUGE RUNCO CRT projector. I think you may start to get the picture here.

This room had an estimated value of 1/4 million dollars worth of audio/video equipment from Wilson speakers for the surround system, a subwoofer that required 10 men to lift, Mark Levinson amplifiers and McIntosh for each speaker, D/A converter and transport from M. L. Huge power supplies and conditioners all sorts of very highend audio/video sources and MIT cable as thick as my arm to connect it all together. The room was built specifically for the system with reinforced floors and walls.

A guy like me never gets to see stuff like that, especially not all in 1 house. At first I was extremely excited to get my hands on all the wiring (After cleaning everthing with gloves..yick!)but then I start to panic because I wasn't sure how he wanted to have the satellite system connected to all the gear....

I couldn't wait to get the system installed and see what it looked and sounded like through the big home theater. He came back into the room and said he just wanted it installed on the little 27" TV in the corner until he could get the system fixed and up and running......what a let down!

Not a complete loss though...I offered my services as a 20 year vet in the industry and because of my knowledge of the equipment he had, gave him a bit of confidence back in the hopes of getting this remarkable system back to its glory.

That's my story.....I may have questions pertaining to some of the product and installation procedures for some of the equipment in the future.

Cheers!

flyingmachine
07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Great story, you of course have pictures, right?!?!

dtechy1
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Ha! I did with my cell phone only to look at it later and realize that my lense was smudged. argh!

Ghost
07-05-2008, 06:47 PM
What kind of a J.A. rents a house with a 1/4 million dollar theater system in it? Did he seem like his marbles were all in place? Holy cow.

dtechy1
07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
He was a little excentric...and quiet!

Darren
07-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Damn, I keep hoping to read about a 1970 Hemi Cuda'!