PDA

View Full Version : Sony UVW 1800 Beatcam question

Todd Margolis
07-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a client with a betacam 1800 record deck that is laying an audio "warble" on dupes (and master playback) but the video is solid and clean. my beta guy is stumped. he has swapped out all boards and assemblys that would affect audio. even the power supply.

any suggestions?

Ghost
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
How about the head? Has he tried to demagnetize the head? How about replacement head?
Also, has he checked the guides while playing? The audio is recorded on the farthest edge of the tape I beleive - if you see the tape flowing up & down as it's moving from a bad or misaligned guide, that could cause what you descibe.

trilliumtech
07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I would bet the farm on an alignment issue. Vague possibility the head is shot, but alignment would be the first thing I checked.

I was so glad the day the station I worked for decided to go DVCPro and only keep a couple UVWs around for dubbing purposes.

Wired1
06-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I might suggest looking at the audio heads. I serviced Sony Betacam decks for a couple of years and problems usually ended up being a glazed over capstan pinch roller which cause a tape to slip, dirty video heads, or a mis-aligned audio head. Hopefully the head itself isn't bad but Sony still has parts on this unit, unlike some older Sony cameras that I still own (DXC537A).
http://www.encyclopediapro.com/wiki/images/e/e1/Betacam-SP-tracks1.jpg

Greg_C
06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Dude, I know that you are new and want to contribute, but the post was from a year ago...

kevinK
06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
but its good information and he gets bonus points for including a photo in the body of the reply.

Ghost
06-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Plus, it's relevant to the original post.

Wired1
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Ya, it's my fault for not noticing where the post date was before I commented. Chaulk that up as my "Mulligan shot" as a newbie. But in my defense, people will always reference these older threads to help in a current situation.

Ghost
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Wired1,
Get verified, the instructions on how to do it is on the main welcome page for this website. Takes awhile sometimes.
You are seeing less than a 1/10th of the forums (and information) that is available on this website. You have to be verified as someone that works in this industry, then your account will be authorized to view all the forums.
If you work for a manufacture or distributor, there is a separate process (and areas). Again, contact from the main page can direct you on who to contact about this.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.