PDA

View Full Version : LCD Mirrors

Shadowman68
02-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Has anyone installed a mirror with an LCD built into it? I didnt know they existed until just a few minutes ago. Kind of a neat idea. Tv's in mirrors, would be a cool install in a master bath.
http://www.torextechnologies.com/technologies.htm

OEX
02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.seuratvmirror.com/

Shadowman68
02-10-2005, 09:24 PM
cool. I really need to get out more.
Whats the MSRP on something like that?

ejfiii
02-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Go brand name from your local distributor: http://www.flattv.philips.com/index.cfm?event=mirrortv Great product.

23" SRP: $3800
17" SRP: $3000

Ghost
02-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Go brand name from your local distributor: www.flattv.philips.com/index.cfm?event=mirrortv

The Seura TV mirror does use brand name, 'Sharp'. I would rather use something with a Sharp LCD in it than a Philips anyday. I don't like Philips.

Has anyone used one of these Seura TV mirrors yet? The literature looks promising.

Kelly
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Rather than use a "mirror TV", I would just use a good LCD panel that will fit between stud spacing combined with a standard two way mirror.

I've done several of these and they've always worked out just fine. Plus it's a LOT cheaper for the end user.

Brijaws
02-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Does the image look washed using a 2way mirror? I have a client thats looking for the same thing. We are framing out to house a 17" LCD behind the glass - the question is, what kinda glass do i need to spec?

Gary
02-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Does the image look washed using a 2way mirror? I have a client thats looking for the same thing. We are framing out to house a 17" LCD behind the glass - the question is, what kinda glass do i need to spec?

We have done this a few times and it does degrade the picture somewhat, the brightness seems suffer. I would not do this in a main viewing location, but it's fine for a master bath or breakfast room.

MikeTech
02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a client that i am in the process of speccing a theater for. right next door will be a bar where they want a tv but already have a wall unit being built with a big mirror in the middle. There are really no other spots for a tv. Will any two way mirror work in this scenario or is there a certain grade of glass that is made for this application?

MikeTech
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Ok... I'm gonna assume any 2 way will do it. Anybody have any info or tips?
Thanks

Shadowman68
03-07-2005, 10:58 PM
wouldnt you have to do something about venting?

Fastfred
03-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Two way mirror will work fine. Consider whether you want to get polished edges, sand blasted edges or a picture frame around it. Make sure NO light comes from behind the image. Use a rollover for sound. Yes, IR works through the mirror. We recommend mirror clips. Brin Glass in Minneapolis sources the mirrors here, 8th Street. Ventilation counts.

Did a big house about ten years ago on the lake. McIntosh THX, the entire bit. Customer always showed off the mirror tv in the bathroom when guests came over. Sigh.

That's all I remember about mirror TV's.

just_program
06-16-2005, 12:38 PM
I know its an old subject but I have been away for a while and wanted to add a tip for everyone. Yes, on the two way glass. Most glass suppliers in your area should be able to source it for you. One VERY important thing, besides rear access, venting issues and sound issues, would be to make CERTAIN that the wall area behind the mirror is painted flat black. Otherwise the mastic that is used to hang the mirror will be seen. We do this in about 45% of our jobs, lcd behind a mirror, and every once in a while the painters will forget to paint the wall black. When you turn on the television, you can see the black 'globs' of mastic everywhere the mirror is attached. One other thing I would recommend is to source a LCD that has no frame or case around it. With a little creative mounting, every job is different, you can actually get the LCD tight to the back of the mirror which will help with it washing out. There is usually a company at CEDIA that has LCD's that are 'raw' for just such applications. The range of sizing is usually from 3.5" to 23". There are normally no tuners built-in so you will need to use these with a distributed a/v system. We use Russound or Crestron. The smaller units dont normally have component inputs either, only composite. Use caution and common sense when it comes to housing a television in a wall. We take extra precautions when doing this on prewire and retrofit situations by either using a 12x12x4 metal electrical patch box for sets 7-9" or below and for sizes above this, we have a local metal shop fabricate a box more appropriate for the size of the set. This has so far provided enough venting for us and makes for a 'safe' install. Maybe Larry could chime in as to how safe/unsafe this practice is. I can say that we have had zero problems with electrical inspectors frowning on these practices. Control is also an issue. The mirrors dont really like passing the IR through the reflective coating. It will go but the remote usually needs to right up againist the glass for this to happen. If possible, make an access door to the back of the television on the opposite side of the wall and dont build the framing to tight, as we have found out, televisions eventually fail and will need to be replaced with a unit that isnt the same size. Hope that helps someone.

ejfiii
06-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Interesting. My local rep just handed me a bunch of Seura brochures. This product is great. I have seen two at the reps shop and I really dig it.

djnorm
06-16-2005, 08:32 PM
We just hung a Seura at a designer show house, and it generated more phone calls than we have ever had from such a show... The boys were installing our first big custom one today, I'll find out tomorrow how it went... Not cheap, but certainly easier than doing it yourself!

whdigital
06-17-2005, 10:20 AM
I just did two Seura's last month. I didn't sell them as the the homeowner spotted them as he was picking out his copper (yes - totally copper!) tub at a high end bath store. I agreed to wiring for them as we are doing everything at this house.

Anyway, they look amazing... I will try to pull some pics off my camera and post them.

idodishez
07-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Saw the Suera at Cedia last year. We've got the literature in the showroom, and sometime soon will have a functional display. Apparenbtly theyve been featured a lot lately on HGTV, the "home fix up"channles, etc and they are doing pretty good with market recognition.

The Suera's seemed a little cheaper than the Phillips at All@#t. I was amazed at the margin on these things.

I asked them about just using a 2 way mirror, and naturally they advised theres was NOT just a 2 way mirror, and was a patented piece that didnt have the "look" of a 2 way mirr0r, was TOTALLY invisible when the TV was off, and didnt have the diffused picture that a 2 way mirror causes.

Just pre-wired my sisters house, and wired for a Master Bath mirror TV. NOw if I can just get her tp spring the 3k+ for the TV, or even my COST of the TV's

Z
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
I have a Suera with a 45" sharp going above a fireplace (framed) in a couple weeks can't wait till it comes in. Anyone had any issues with mounting, hook up etc.....?

whdigital
09-26-2005, 09:53 PM
I have a Suera with a 45" sharp going above a fireplace (framed) in a couple weeks can't wait till it comes in. Anyone had any issues with mounting, hook up etc.....?

Well, the Seura's 15" Sharp bathroom piece is quite odd in how it mounts.... fixed veritcal rails, nothing across horizontally, and they are NOT spaced 16" on center. Guess what that means?!!

My advice is that you be prepared to graft in whatever you need in the way of studs AFTER you get the mirror and can examine it's mount. I have no idea what that big one will be like, but let me tell you, the "smaller" bathroom ones are unbelievably heavy! You don't want to mess with a hacked mount!!

Z
09-27-2005, 12:18 AM

Well, the Seura's 15" Sharp bathroom piece is quite odd in how it mounts.... fixed veritcal rails, nothing across horizontally, and they are NOT spaced 16" on center. Guess what that means?!!

My advice is that you be prepared to graft in whatever you need in the way of studs AFTER you get the mirror and can examine it's mount. I have no idea what that big one will be like, but let me tell you, the "smaller" bathroom ones are unbelievably heavy! You don't want to mess with a hacked mount!!

Thanks whdigital for the insight i've been concerned about weight cause the job is a half retro of course where the suera is going is exsisting above the mantle of a gas fireplace this is the first seura we've done i hope that the mount is different for the size (its not i just looked it up on seura's site its just bigger lol) im using but if not the thought and liabilty of 200 - 300lbs ( a guess unable to locate any weights in specs on seura's site ) hanging on a hacked mount is enough to never sleep at night again. According to the specs on the site the 45" lcd mirror the 2 vertical rails are 44" apart oh well 16" would have never been on center with no horizontal adjustment anyways im sure the studs are centered good thing we have a ex-framer on the crew that loves to cut stuff with a sawzall :twisted: hopefully nothing important :D j/k. Shouldn't be any problem its a ventless gas fireplace just need a sparky for power and some power lifters from the local gym :D . I'll take pics of the job when its done.

avophile
09-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Did anyone else check out Aristos Art at CEDIA? They did a frame with optical coatings, kind of like an ornamental mirror effect. Worked better than the two-way mirrors I've seen.

http://www.Aristosart.com

just_program
09-27-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, we looked at the Aritos stuff, seemed fairly dim in comparison to the homebrewed stuff we come up with. Maybe its just me but the off-axis seemed pretty bad also. Otherwise it looked really good. The frames were exceptional and with a Roku running art slideshows, no need for the optical coating.

Just my $.02.

Bandar
12-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I have used Vision Mirror.
http://www.visionmirror.com/products.asp

because of where I am I needed Pal Secam and NTSC with tuner built in and they have it.

bit pricy but not far from other companies making the same type and comes with external speakers and remote.