PDA

View Full Version : axonix - DVD Servers??

Brijaws
02-11-2005, 06:04 AM
http://www.axonix.com/Mediamax/mediamax_models.html

anybody have any info on this product? I got a little spam email from them today and was checking out the site.

AudibleSolutions
02-19-2005, 06:51 AM
I saw it at CEDIA and spent about an hour talking with them. It is a classic server/thin client achetecture running XP-Pro. They are based in Utah, so if you believe that location is a predictor of honor be warned. This is not their core business so they will not depend on sales to survive. I thought that their GUI needed work. It looked as if it was used in " Forbidden Plantet, " and some suggestions on how they could inexpensively improve on the product. However, I have not had much opportunity to keep abrest of the product nor see if they made any improvements to the product they showed at CEDIA. I have decided to go the changer/black box solution a la Request and Escient then the server/thin client. I can run up to 3 duplicate players with rundundant DVD libraries for the price of the least expensive streamer with no legal issues. Since I intend to distribute centrally via PVID some of the advantages of server/client archetectures are mitegated. The big advantage of steaming data to local players where the data is not converted to analog until the last minute with the shortest possible cables is not an archetecture I intend to use often. If you are looking for a Kaleidescape alternative it is less expensive, it does not use a propritary OS, it has no agreement with Hollywood ( and see how well that strategy worked ) and has neither the RS-232 protocol nor GUI that Kaleidescape has. It is similar to DVD Lobby and that sort of software soloution than Kaleidescape. Indeed DVD Lobby has a far superior GUI to that the Media Magic server possessed. That said, if you invest in a GUI design I would consider it had I the need for it. You might even consider running DVD lobby as the control GUI. You can even write you own serial control protocol.

Alan