Signup Now
Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

Articles

Categories

Search Articles

Articles

by vwpower44 Published on 02-18-2007 09:12 AM
We just got done installing the Gefen CAT5 Extreme. Some facts about the CAT5 Extreme. You do NOT have to use shielded cable. You use two CAT5's. The unit is powered on both ends. It has dip switches that allow you to compensate for quality of cable and length. On our install we used Genesis Audacious CAT5e (the purple box). We used a 110 punch down block on the headend, and ICC RJ45 Keystones on the display, so termination would be easy. Then we used jumper cables from the punch downs to the Gefen Sender unit and receiver unit. The run of CAT5 from the sending unit and to the receiveing unit was 116 feet. We used the supplied HDMI cable from Gefen on the head end, and an IXOS hDMI on the display end from the Gefen boxes to the actualy HDMI's. The source equipment has a Moto Cable Box w/HDMI and a Sony BD. THese were both routed through a Denon AVR2307CI. Once we got the system installed and turn the system on the HDMI was dropping out the video and audio to the display. the display was getting intermittant snow. So we adjusted the dip switches to try to figure the best settings for the cable length and quality of cable. We adjusted them to the worst quality of cable and the longest run of cable. The dropouts occured about every 15-30 seconds instead of every few seconds. So then we decided to take out the RJ45 cover plates, and the punchdown block, and just put RJ45's ont he CAT5 going between the send and receive units. Once we did this, the picture stabilized, and there was no more snow. We still had to keep the dip switch settings on the Gefen sedn and receive pieces at the low cable quality and longest run in order to make it work. But it did work, and it had a great picture. The BD sent the 1080p picutre to the display perfectly. When switching between the cable box and the BD it does take about 15 seconds for the HDMI handshaking to complete and get a picture. When switching from the BD to the Cable box it only takes bout 3 seconds.
by Kelly Published on 01-20-2007 11:05 AM
Pinnacle QP9 LCR "bar", along with a pair of CM6001 in-ceiling rears and a SUBCOMPACT-6 in a family room "budget" ($8,500.00 total) system. Performance was more than adequate. Well above the the Yamaha YSP-that I used last year. For the QP9 I did have to fabricate the mounting for under the PDP (LGPC1DA), but that was relatively easy (some aluminum flat stock extended from the PDP mounting "rails"). Soundwise you wouldn't dare use this unit without a sub of some sort. Pinnacle claims 100 to 21khz, but to my ears, the 100 might be a bit generous. But what can be expected of those small speakers? The sub couldn't REALLY be called a sub, but it did fit on a bookshelf, and it did help fill the low (not very) to mid range void. Just enough punch to let you know there was a sub present. But not nearly enough to shake the room at all. Again, can't expect much from those small speakers. CM6001 rears? Well, what the hell, they were rears in the worst possible location. I had no expectations of even decent surround. I really despise a room where there is NO choice but ceiling mounted rears. But, they worked.
by AudibleSolutions Published on 10-23-2006 07:38 PM
Owen began this elsewhere so.................... The T-100 is a cheap looking, surprisingly functional product. In many ways it reminds me of the old Advent gear where no money was spent on industrial design but a lot of thought went into the product design. The Sherbourn T-100 is an AM-FM tuner that comes in two parts. The Tuner is meant to be mounted remotely, say in an attic or wherever reception is best. The T-100 comes with a breakout box that is connected to the T-100 by a straight through RJ-45 cable. The T-100 comes with a wall wart for a power supply, a IR remote control, an IR sensor that is a TTL circuit, and a T Fm antenna and what looks like hand wound coil of wire for an AM antenna. There is also a RCA to stereo 1/8 mini stereo female adapter so you can tune the unit while in the attic to determine best placement for the antennas. There is a LCD screen on the T-100 with 4 sets of buttons. Menu, enter ( also power ) up and down. You turn the unit on by pressing the enter button for 3 seconds. Then you enter the menu and use the up and down arrows to navigate through the menu. Setup of the T-100 is very easy and requires no special skills save the time to adjust the antennas for best AM/FM performance. What makes the T-100 special is its surprisingly good performance. The AM section works and the FM section is surprisingly sensitive. Even here in Roslyn, 30 miles from NY there a very crowded RF environment. The T-100 picked up stations that my Crestron C2N-TFM connected to an exterior RG-59 copper wire did not. Nor did my older Sansui TU517 analog tuner pull in anywhere near the stations the T-100 did. I threw the T-antenna over my window treatments and was astounded to discover FM stations at 88.1 and 88.7 that I never knew existed. I was able to pull in 660,770,880 and 1050 AM stations, something I've never been able to do. The Sherbourn T-100 is also a bidirectional Tuner whose serial signals are sent with audio and power from the...
by Beau Published on 08-29-2006 12:42 AM
So...what's the "goo" all about? :confused: It HAS to be a step above semi-gloss right? :rolleyes: Are there competing products that are better? :confused: Please share your gooey stories................................................:eek:
Page 76 of 80 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Article Display Options

Use this control to limit the display of threads to those newer than the specified time frame.

Allows you to choose the data by which the thread list will be sorted.

Order articles in...

Note: when sorting by date, 'descending order' will show the newest results first.

Article Forum v4.1.2 Copyright by BananaLive
Advertise With Us?