Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

IP Ads

Gary is offline Site Owner
    Site Admin
    Super Hero
    Sr. Professional Installer
    Array

Jump to Comments

Crestron integration of the NuVo P100 Network Streamer

4 Comments by Gary Published on 08-25-2014 03:28 PM
    This will be the first in a series of reviews from a integration point of view. Since I have true blue blood running through my veins, Crestron will be the control system of choice for these reviews. I think we all know there are only two kinds of integrators, those that use Crestron and those that wish they did Okay, I'm kidding here of course (just a little) anyone that wants to write reviews using their favorite control system please PM me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Connect_Group.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	4978

Almost everyone involved in the residential side of integration has been looking for a Sonos like product that can be controlled from a third party control system. Well with the NuVo may be just have what the doctor ordered.

The NuVo system is easily scalable (although, if I understand correctly, you are limited to 16 zones). This system offers two options for amplified streamers: the P100, and the P200. The P100 has a 2x20 amplifier, one line in, one line out, and a USB port for attached music storage. The P200 offers all of these features, but has a 2x60 amplifier, and Bluetooth capabilities. Both units can utilize either hardwired Ethernet or WiFi (if using WiFi you will need the GW100 gateway, which creates a private WiFi network).

This review is for the P100. I first set it up on my test bench using a pair of SnapAV AW-5s. Once I downloaded the app to my iPad (available for Android devices as well), the setup was very straight forward. The app walks you through a combination of button presses on the unit (this will seem familiar to anyone that has installed a Sonos). Once your players are added you can setup streaming services and local music shares. Streaming services are limited to Pandora, TuneIn, Rhapsody, and SiriusXM. This is certainly the one area where Sonos is ahead. I would expect to see Spotify on a device like this. Network music shares can also be added and music sharing software is available for download from the NuVo site for Windows and Macs. I downloaded the software and linked it to my iTunes library on my PC. It worked perfectly on my Windows7 machine but would not work on my XP Pro box. Once up and running sound quality was very good for such a small amp and the app is very well thought out and intuitive. Zone grouping for a party mode seems to be one area were it particularity shines. I did fine it confusing that the app (and later my Crestron UI) showed Bluetooth as an option when the P100 does not support this feature. It would also be nice to be able to name the line in as I used this input for an old AirPort Express to give me an airplay option.

My test system includes a Crestron MC3 and for user interfaces I used a MLX-3 and a iPad utilizing Crestron's SmartGraphics App. At this point I used the line out to feed the audio signal into my Integra receiver. NeVo has provided no way in the app to set a fixed IP address so I had to configure my router to give the unit a reserved IP address, I'm not completely sure how this would work if using the GW100 gateway. Once this was setup I downloaded the module from the Crestron App store.

The symbol is pretty easy to figure out and will be easily recognizable to anyone that has programmed other music server devices that use fixed length list to browse content. I'd like to point out that there is no way to use this unit with the Smart Graphics media player at the time of this article, although I'd love to see that added.

The very bottom of the symbol contains the necessary setup parameters.

Name:	Nuvo Cap 0.PNG 
Views:	101 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	4971

Which includes IP address and list setup. I set my list length and text feedback to reflect my user interface.

At the very top of the symbol you will find I/Os to manage the connection.

Name:	Nuvo Cap 1.jpg 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	4972

And below that are the browse list controls.

Name:	Nuvo Cap 2.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	4973

You will notice on the output side of the symbol feedback outputs for Header and Container, this allows you to show on the user interface if the current selection drills down or if it selects a track or station. I chose not to use this in my system. You will also note that every press input has a enabled output. This lets you easily show and hide button based on whether they can be used. Combined with the digital visibility joins on most SmartGraphic items, I found this to be pretty slick and easy to manage.

All the list text outputs are next,

Name:	Nuvo Cap 3.PNG 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	4974

And them the transport controls.

Name:	Nuvo Cap 4.jpg 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	4975

Again you will notice that all the presses have a complimentary enabled output. On my system I used a ring counter and SIO to cycle through the repeat modes. This worked pretty well most of the time but it could use some tweaking on my end.

The bottom of the module contains the volume and now playing feedback.

Name:	Nuvo Cap 5.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	4976

In my final setup I used the line output into my receiver in my living room so the volume was not used. I do plan on adding two more units to my system so I will report back on how the volume works through the module. When I first set this up I did not get cover art when streaming music from iTunes. Within a few days there was a firmware update and that has been fine ever since. I fact in the eight weeks this has been running in my house there have been at least 3 firmware updates. I'm not sure what these contained but this leads me to believe that this is a product Nuvo is actively working on, I have used this unit daily since installing it without a single lockup

There is two things you will notice is missing from the symbol. There is no way to search or add Pandora stations from within the Crestron interface. I find this to be a glaring oversight and one I plan on fixing when I get some time and a copy of the protocol.

One other feature that is excluded from the Crestron module is zone grouping but I don't find that to be nearly the drawback. Although it would be nice to have.

Below is a video of the P100 in action within the Crestron app.

My conclusion is that if you're looking for a Sonos like music system that you can integrate into the control system of your choice, this is a good one. It's very reliable, sounds very good, and is easy to control. I like it enough to keep this one and add two more.

Please leave any questions you may have in the comments below.

http://www.legrand.us/nuvo/audio-vid...x#.U_uZ2IYg_Fk

http://www.legrand.us/~/media/Files/..._brochure.ashx

http://applicationmarket.crestron.co...y=nuvo&x=0&y=0

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

Fully Magnetized

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/7
    Given: 275/5

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Crestron integration of the NuVo P100 Network Streamer

Nice work! I love the detailed info on putting it all together. This should help some people who might be on the fence and are not always trusting of a sales guy saying 'oh yeah, that works great together!'.
    Rick Murphy
    Tandem Marketing - Michigan
    248-376-8315 cell/text

ElectroOptical Acoustical
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 110/2
    Given: 414/1

Good to see you have this going. So far, I have had no trouble with the NUVO p200 or P3100 series. I maybe pulling my Crestron out for a XP6 RTI to do some testing on NuvO AND Sonos first. My AV2 has to be updated to a 3 series and then we will give this a try.
    I finally quit drinking for good. Now, I do it for evil.

Take it easy on me, I'm new here
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but the Nuvo series is also fully controllable on the Vantage automation platform using our Equinox UI. This includes multi-zone/multi-source control as well.

At this point it is important to note that Nuvo does not have an API hook for searching - once it is added I know Vantage, and likely Crestron, will be adding the support for searching and adding stations for Pandora, Rhapsody, Deezer and Napster.
    Mark Youngquist
    Software Applications Engineer
    Vantage
    www.vantagecontrols.com

Site Owner
    Site Admin
    Super Hero
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 64/26
    Given: 207/1

Hey thanks for the input Mark. That searching thing is good to know. If you're interested in writing some articles on integration with Vantage please PM me.
    Your donations support this site!

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and hence clamorous to be led to safety, by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

G Miller Designs-Propose/Design/Program

Now taking on new programming clients, PM me for info

Thread Information