Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

G Miller Designs

1. 2ndRick is offline Fully Magnetized
    Sr. Professional Installer
    Array

Jump to Comments

CEA wants to standardize ultra-widescreen (21:9) TVs

4 Comments by 2ndRick Published on 08-31-2011 03:41 PM
    CEA is launching a new initiative to standardize the ultra-widescreen displays for consumer use.

The "21:9" ratio they are promoting is the equivalent of 2.33:1, which is close to the cinema-scope standard.

http://www.cepro.com/article/cea_to_...pect_ratio_tv/

Quote Originally Posted by CEPro article
    To support development of the next-generation of widescreen digital television, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) launched new standards activity to support wider, 21:9 aspect ratio TVs.

CEA is calling for industry participation in a standards update to investigate incorporation of methods for signaling delivery of the presence of 21:9 video into CEA 861, A DTV Profile for Uncompressed High-Speed Digital Interfaces. Next-generation TV displays will be capable of showing video in 21:9 aspect ratio, creating an even more expanded widescreen view than today's prevalent 16:9 screens, and greatly enhancing the viewing experience for consumers.

CEA‑861 establishes protocols, requirements and recommendations for the utilization of uncompressed digital interfaces by consumer electronics devices such as digital televisions (DTVs), digital cable, satellite or terrestrial set-top boxes (STBs), and related peripheral devices. CEA’s Video Systems Committee has begun developing specifications for signaling the presence of 21:9 aspect ratio video. As video displays with 21:9 aspect ratio are now appearing in the marketplace, adding this feature to the standard can more efficiently deliver such video to DTV receivers with native 21:9 displays.

“The introduction of video displays with 21:9 aspect ratio is an exciting development that can increase consumer enjoyment and satisfaction for video consumption,” says Wayne Luplow, vice president of Zenith R&D Lab, LG Electronics USA Inc. and chair or CEA’s Video Systems Committee. “We hope the proposed modifications to CEA-861 will help manufacturers build products that can signal their ability to display this extra widescreen video and invite input from other organizations involved in the creation and delivery of DTV content.”

The Video Systems Committee believes that other standards-related organizations might also want to consider the inclusion of methods for signaling and delivery of 21:9 aspect ratio content utilizing other transport systems.

Consideration of this increased aspect ratio addition will take place in CEA’s DTV Interface Subcommittee's Uncompressed A/V Digital Interfaces Working Group. Participation in CEA standards and activities is open to any company, organization or individual with direct and material interest. The Working Group’s next meetings via conference call will take place on August 31 and September 13. To get involved, or for more information, please contact Dave Wilson at dwilson@CE.org.
    Last edited by 2ndRick; 08-31-2011 at 04:09 PM.

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

Loyal Senior Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/2
    Given: 63/1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: CEA wants to standardize ultra-widescreen (21:9) TVs

Guess they're giving up on 3D as a way to boost sales....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/1
    Given: 8/0

Any more word on this? I would personally much rather own and promote 21:9 (2520x1080p) sets than 3D sets. I think this is great if it takes root.

EDIT: Well, looks like Vizio intends to build one, and it includes 3D.
    Last edited by HiFiGuy1; 02-28-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    You have to hand it to Venus DeMilo... otherwise she'd starve.

Former Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi, when asked how it felt to be the greatest team in the world after winning the championship in 1966, said, “I don’t know, we haven’t played Alabama yet.”

We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    —Aristotle

Your ignorance knows no bounds. Maybe you'd be home earlier with your family if you knew how to do your job.
    -- E.J. Feulner, III

Get off my lawn
    Totally awesome Team America Mt Rushmore Headquarters
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

I'll be all over this.

This has been my rant for the last 2 years, I really think there is a decent CI market for this.
    Don't ban me from IP just because I'm way better than all of you. (Courtesy Dave D'Arche)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 28/1
    Given: 20/0

Philips came out with one a couple years ago:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisio...cat/#/overview
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information