Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

Sr. Professional Installer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 89/16
    Given: 221/2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you were putting in a gate opener, which one?

Ive been putting this off for years. I need to get it done. Driveway is 1800' feet with no power at the entry. Sucks I know. In addition the gate is 24' long (single open) and is pushing 1000 lbs. Very heavy duty.

Looks like most are rinky dink and couldnt handle my needs. Not to concerned about costs. I expect it to be thousands. I just want it done right. Obviously would love to tie it into automation. I assume i if i had enough battery on solar power i could set up a wireless bridge? If need be i can run wire, either power or fiber to it. Major pita but i have the equipment to do it. But would rather not. Im guessing I will need to.

Suggestions? Models? Likely need a commercial unit?

Wiremunky Extreme
    Loyal Senior Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/1
    Given: 132/0

Re: If you were putting in a gate opener, which one?

This is what i see at most of our clients homes. http://vikingaccess.com/Operators

They have a solar powered option available but not sure it can handle the 24' gate.

Wiremunky Extreme
    Loyal Senior Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/1
    Given: 132/0

I responded to this earlier. I got an error about a moderator needing to allow my post. Probably because i had links in it? Not sure.

Viking Gate Operators. I see this in 8 out of 10 of our clients homes. They have solar options. The 24' gate my be an issue but i really dont know because i dont do gates myself aside from connecting triggers to open them from Crestron or Lutron.

Verified Pro
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 71/0
    Given: 44/0

Did you ever figure anything out?

I'm looking into Doorking but hoping the builder will have the gate installer also install the opener portion. I have a similar situation as to yours but I think we are going to have fiber pulled to it along with power. Fortunately for us, the utility already has to pull fiber to the home located 2000' from the road so we are going to use that trench to bury a second fiber run and drop in some electrical.

I looked into Doorkings solar option but it's literally in the middle of the woods and solar will likely not work without moving the solar collector above the tree line or locating it 400' from the gate location.

Regardless, I'm sure Doorking would be able to point you in the right direction. I'm just not very familiar with their model numbers.
    Hi my name is Drew and I'm a recovering RTI addict.

Thread Information