Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

G Miller Designs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 19/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Onkyo HDMI Switching Issue

(I'll probably get my wrist slapped for this question, cause it's probably been addressed before, but my search didn't show anything, so here goes....)

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver with two video sources (HDMI). 1) Comcast Dual Tuner DVR box by Motorola and 2) Onkyo 6-Disk DVD Changer model DV-CP704.

When I connect both sources to the incoming HDMI inputs of the Onkyo receiver and try to send the signal to the 50" Sony professional plasma display, nothing appears. I'm familiar with the Onkyo amp setup screens and have properly configured all the video and audio sources.

If the Comcast or DVD component is connected directly to the plasma, the image appears without any issues. But as soon as I try to use the Onkyo TX-SR605 to perform the video switching, it chokes....no signal to the TV. The receiver says "no hdmi signal", etc.

Any tips?

My client's plasma has limited input options (just 1 composite video and 1 DVD video connector), so I sold him on the concept and ease of using the Onkyo amp for HDMI switching purposes. Now I'm starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into. I'm obviously using an HDMI to DVI adapter at the back of the TV. The HDMI cable that I ran from the receiver (in a closet about 10ft away) to the plasma is UL listed 24awg, etc.

(pic attached for your viewing pleasure).

Thanks in advance !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Linthicum
    HiTech Upgrades
    Severna Park, MD

Sr. Professional Installer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 177/3
    Given: 0/0

Re: Onkyo HDMI Switching Issue

Although some have gotten comfortable with HDMI only to plasmas, many are not. I always have component as my primary conduit to the TV. If you choose to use HDMI, and it works, great. If not, component will save you.

A client last week ran his own HDMI to receiver then to TV... in this case the Comcast box worked but not the DVD. Ran a direct line for the second video source to the TV and all is better.

I look for as little trouble as possible so avoid HDMI unless it is a straight shot to the display.

Others may chime in that the adapter you are using is fouling up the handshaking but I can't really speak on that.
    =Tom

"Just what part of 'thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not lie' don't you like??"

ElectroOptical Acoustical
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 110/2
    Given: 414/1

Have you tried different combinations of Power up sequences?

IF you cold boot the cable box, what happens?
    I finally quit drinking for good. Now, I do it for evil.

Thumbs Up/Down

Where Oh Where - I'll give that a shot....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/2

You say you know how to configure the Onkyo but...did you actually turn on the HDMI output on the Receiver and DVD? They come turned off.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me

Thumbs Up/Down

Jed - yeah, HDMI is being outputted from both video sources just fine. The "choke" occurs when I try to route the video thru the receiver and use it for video switching. It's bugging the heck out of me.

I was at this client's house tonight trying to trouble shoot it....again. No luck of course. Since the TV only has one HD input (the DVI port)....I'm having a tought time explaining to the customer why I can't get it working....argh !

Take it easy on me, I'm new here

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

I just finished an install with SR-705 (3 HDMI Inputs-XBOX,Dishnetwork, DVD Player). Rapid Run Digital Runner (Total of 62' HDMI Run). Have had no issues. I did discover that Onkyo requires you to turn on the HDMI output.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by clinthicum
    Jed - yeah, HDMI is being outputted from both video sources just fine. The "choke" occurs when I try to route the video thru the receiver and use it for video switching. It's bugging the heck out of me.
    Like Jed said in a earlier post Did you turn ON the HDMI output in the Receiver. You would need to do this for video switching with HDMI.

Can the Video Display accept a HDMI V1.3 Signal. Maybe when the receiver is up-converting or switching the signal its sending the signal out at a different version then the TV can accept. Something to look into.
    Zach D

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 177/3

Quote Originally Posted by D-A/V
    Can the Video Display accept a HDMI V1.3 Signal. Maybe when the receiver is up-converting or switching the signal its sending the signal out at a different version then the TV can accept. Something to look into.
    You seem to be implying that the 1.3 spec is in some way not backwards compatible, which I don't think is the case. I don't think 1.3 has any bearing on his problem.
    =Tom

"Just what part of 'thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not lie' don't you like??"

Thumbs Up/Down

Fixed it. My bad - looks like during my troubleshooting of the system, I inadvertently turned off the "HDMI Monitor = ON" option to " = OFF "

DUH !

I'm just glad it was an easy fix. Much easier than having to replace/fix the HDMI cable that I spent hours routing thru a wall behind chair rail....only to shot a finishing nail thru the damn cable ! Yikes....

Live and learn.

Note to self: don't get so trigger happy with the Paslode Cordless Finish Nail Gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information