Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

G Miller Designs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life-ware

Full Time Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Life-ware

It's pretty darn clost to the cost of Crestron by the time you're done with it. I also HATE the way they deal with their license: for every zone you add, you have to have a license, which means more money. Everything you add is this way: Lights, thermostats, etc.

Given the cost and the hassle, I'd move towards Crestron or AMX before this. We did Control4 simply because it's a line with much of the same stuff but with easier programming. It's not Crestron but in my market there's notmuch call for that level of automation.
    Glenn Montjoy
    Colorado Media Systems, Colorado Springs

ElectroOptical Acoustical
    Sr. Professional Installer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 110/2
    Given: 414/1

I hear they (liftware) are bringing back Jimmy Hendrix from the dead for a Concert at CEDIA. They didn't know what to do with all that investment money.
    Then again, I could be wrong.
    I finally quit drinking for good. Now, I do it for evil.

Full Time Member
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by COMediaSys
    It's pretty darn clost to the cost of Crestron by the time you're done with it. I also HATE the way they deal with their license: for every zone you add, you have to have a license, which means more money. Everything you add is this way: Lights, thermostats, etc.
    Not true. The license is sold in banks which can be bought to cover nearly any level of automation. A simple system can be very inexpensive and a complex system can get very expensive. There have been many changes to Life/Ware over the last 12 months. If you looked at Life/Ware a year ago you owe it to yourself to take another look. There are so many misconstrued facts about Life/Ware out there that I could get into this for days. I prefer not to so I can only suggest that you get the facts and an understanding of their platform before making a decision based on all of the uneducated posts you have read regarding the product.
    For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Full Time Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

I stand corrected then -3 months later

Explain a bit further then. What do you mean by "banks"?

I would say that any "simple" system would be relatively inexpensive and any complicated system could be expensive regardless of the platform.
    Glenn Montjoy
    Colorado Media Systems, Colorado Springs

Full Time Member
    Thumbs Up/Down

Banks are groups of devices which are bought depending on the expected level of the system. If you buy a bank of 60, you can control 60 devices. If you later need more, you can add a bank of 8, 20,60, etc.
    You can purchase LifeWare as a standalone, (no media centers) and you will find it to be relativly inexpensive. As for the platform, It is a Microsoft NTFS platform (XP). What most people dont understand is that it is only a platform and not an entire operating system. Its a method of information transportation and thats it.
    For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 62/0
    Given: 5/4

I can honestly say, I'm now completely confused.

I thought lifeware was a MS Media Center based product?

Now media center is just a media provider and it actually runs the core OS on another platform?

Full Time Member
    Thumbs Up/Down

That is correct. Media center is just an extension of Life/Ware and not the controller.

Full Time Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Well, I have been told that the license fee for a system I installed (if it would have been a Lifeware controlled system) with approx. 300 'devices' would have been around 40k retail. Without hardware. Just for the software. FYI.
    734-891-6110

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 43/3
    Given: 16/9

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteVan Lifestyle
    Banks are groups of devices which are bought depending on the expected level of the system. If you buy a bank of 60, you can control 60 devices. If you later need more, you can add a bank of 8, 20,60, etc.
    This is still a software license model. You buy license's for the number of devices you have. AMX/Crestron/C4/HomeLogic, none of them do this.

You can purchase LifeWare as a standalone, (no media centers) and you will find it to be relativly inexpensive. As for the platform, It is a Microsoft NTFS platform (XP). What most people dont understand is that it is only a platform and not an entire operating system. Its a method of information transportation and thats it.
    It still runs on a PC though. Again, AMX/Crestron/C4/HomeLogic have dedicated processors that are built to be processors.
    Tony Petrangelo

Code:
    if "trolling" in they_see_me:
         they_be="Hatin'"

Full Time Member
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAngelo
    This is still a software license model. You buy license's for the number of devices you have. AMX/Crestron/C4/HomeLogic, none of them do this.
    Agreed!

It still runs on a PC though. Again, AMX/Crestron/C4/HomeLogic have dedicated processors that are built to be processors.
    Agreed again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information