Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

IP Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Professional Installer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 37/0
    Given: 40/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Cable Box gripes again...

In the last two jobs I have done where TimeWarner is the cable company, the new cable boxes (Explorer 8000) just have to turn themselves Off during the night.

I know about managing power and sensing when the boxes are on, but using the CT600 to do the IR routing power sensing is a round about fix. So I figured I could set a wake up timer for 4:00am or so and that would turn the box on every morning.

This isn't working as all three identicle boxes are off every day. WHY??

I have since added power management, so the problem is fixed, but I still find myself obsessing over why the boxes suddenly decided to start turning themselves off every night and refusing to turn back on.

Three questions:
    Has anyone been successful in getting the cable company to enable the "power on with numeric" option that SA writes into the firmware?
    I was extremely close with one job, but it never actually happened.

Secondly, anyone have a copy of the firmware from a box with the option enabled? probably won't work, but you know....

Lastly, what is causing the boxes to turn off and disallowing the timer to turn the boxes back on?

-Pete

Figure, I'll follow along as remind I'm awaiting verrrfiiicaaation.... like everyone else

MikeCAT

The auto off feature is a new one added by SA. This allows the box to "rest and update" overnight. I about jerked a knot in the tech's head when he said this was a good idea.

By the way, I'm assuming this is in the DA forum cause you're using these boxes for music? Just curious

Thumbs Up/Down

Hmmmm.... funny, you'd think that disabling the auto off in the menu would do something like.... disable the auto off feature? maybe? bah.

Oh, and its in here because it didn't fit anywhere else really... there are two global DVRs for video and one global for audio. This was the only forum for anything distributed.

MikeCAT

Yeah, I thought the same thing on the auto off feature. I'm one of the few I'm sure that acutalll still had cable until a month ago. That auto off was killing me. Not to mention horrible picture and sound. But, the wife had her way. (until two weeks ago!! )

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 106/11
    Given: 5/0

Last job I did this feature reared it's ugly head.

PIA for sure.

Wouldn't it be nice to have discretes for ALL devices......?
    Life really is a beach. And I'm liking it...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

omg, iv been having the same problem with a far away client - iv been going crazy through my code to figure if im doing something wrong...

wow, these fourms are good for something ehh?

MikeCAT

Man, I about launched into the poor Time Warner tech on this one when I called in. Surprisingly, he understood me, and actually agreed with me, on having discreets, or losing the auto power off thing.

Site Owner
    Site Admin
    Super Hero
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 64/25
    Given: 206/1

If you don't have a way to sense power state and control it through logic, you could always resort to Eric Johnson's BOB approach.
    Your donations support this site!

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, and hence clamorous to be led to safety, by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

G Miller Designs-Propose/Design/Program

Now taking on new programming clients, PM me for info

Part Time Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

I have it on good authority that SA did this to keep the box from overheating, but calls it a 'feature'.

The fix is called the SA 8300. A better box, but still room for improvement.

Thumbs Up/Down

Well.... as it is right now I have someone working at the "main line" of TimeWarner, whatever that is, that found the "power on numeric" feature in the SA literature she had and is currently trying to turn the feature on with a couple test boxes in her office.
    She seemed to understand why it would make my life easier and wants to try and get the feature turned on as a global function in the area since you still have to activate it in the menu.

Cross your fingers all.... If this goes through the discrete on would be [0 enter] wouldnt that be nice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information