Since 2003 IntegrationPros has been the social network for professionals in the systems integration and custom installation industry... if that's you, get started by creating an account.

IP Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fully Magnetized
    Sr. Professional Installer

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/7
    Given: 275/5

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: LG announces world's thinest TV. Crack not included.

Quote Originally Posted by D-A/V View Post
    The problem with this new LG TV is that it is going to have a set top box and a propitiatory cable to connect the two.
    Maybe they will be smart about it and use a run of fiber for the umbilical like Sim2 does...

Then the HDMI interconnects can stay in the rack, where they can be nice and short..

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by Where_oh_Where View Post
    I think most of us are going to have to use Structured wiring cans or similar strategically behind the TVs to accommodate the wires and cable boxes now. Similar to this: http://www.mountsandmore.com/Chief-M...01-CF1299.html
    I cannot say for certain but the inputs on many of these TV's fall towards the outer edges so I would not assume that those cans will do the trick without actual confirmation. The one we installed actually went in a cabinet even though from my post it may have sounded like it was on a wall, otherwise I would have come up with some method to mount it close to the wall.

ElectroOptical Acoustical
    Sr. Professional Installer
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 110/2
    Given: 414/1

David,
    While the cans may not entirely fit because of the stud/ cable locations. They will be used extensively to hide the comcrap cable boxes and DTA boxes, provide space for surge protection. Flexible conduit may be needed to get from the can to the actual cable location on the TV. I have not heard the LG will use a separate box for connections, this would prove useful for that as well.
    This is a huge cable area and many are tied to the triple play contracts, so changing is not easy for some.

I will also exploit this opportunity to push the EVO system from Vantage Point.
    I finally quit drinking for good. Now, I do it for evil.

Thumbs Up/Down

Don't get me wrong, I love the cans. I was just warning people not to assume they connectors will fall behind the can. On some models they might, on others they won't.

Personally I think it's a joke to make the TV's 1" thick and then put the cable jacks facing backwards. If they are doing that because of lack of space once they've made them as thin as possible, then I'd much rather have a 1 1/2" deep set where the cables face upward,.i.e. add an the extra 1/2" kick-out that could be used for downward facing cable jacks. But it took the manufactures 20 years to realize that discrete commands are a good thing so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndRick View Post
    Maybe they will be smart about it and use a run of fiber for the umbilical like Sim2 does...

Then the HDMI interconnects can stay in the rack, where they can be nice and short..
    That would be nice, but I think that I read that the propitiatory box will house all of the inputs, a ATSC Tuner and power.
    Zach D

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by D-A/V View Post
    That would be nice, but I think that I read that the propitiatory box will house all of the inputs, a ATSC Tuner and power.
    Well certainly a propitiatory box will at least have fiber, otherwise it will have even more to atone for. And will anyone but Alan get my bad joke?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information